• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor, ADR Director Daman Mills Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm getting the feeling more people are gonna come forward accusing this guy. There's no way this kind of predator has only one victim.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
zanm0nk wrote:
The fact that this is "legal" in Ohio sucks, and it was definitely abuse/assault in my opinion

It being Ohio-legal only applies if it was consensual, though, right? Could still be classified as sexual assault, I assume (sort of following on what Tempest said)

Concerning the specific ages: 16 and 21 feels kind of gross to me mostly because of the large life events that take place between those two ages (in the culture I grew up in), and the psychological maturity that on-average I think sets in between the two. But it's also, like, just beyond the edge of where that gross feeling begins? 16 to.. I don't know, 18 or maybe 19 or so wouldn't seem weird at all to me, and I am genuinely a bit unsure where to draw the line, there

Last edited by NeverConvex on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
I Wonder Why is the accuser (Duncan ) bringing up personal incident in the past ?

Reading the article will clear you of that doubt.
zanm0nk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
zanm0nk wrote:
The fact that this is "legal" in Ohio sucks, and it was definitely abuse/assault in my opinion

It being Ohio-legal only applies if it was consensual, though, right? Could still be classified as sexual assault, I assume (sort of following on what Tempest said)

Concerning the specific ages: 16 and 21 feels kind of gross to me mostly because of the large life events that take place between those two ages (in the culture I grew up in), and the psychological maturity that on-average I think sets in between the two. But it's also, like, just beyond the edge of where that gross feeling begins? 16 to.. I don't know, 18 or maybe 19 or so wouldn't seem weird at all to me, and I am genuinely a bit unsure where to draw the line, there

I completely agree, though whether that assault could be prosecuted is a different story. I'm also not sure whether there are statute of limitations in play, but I'd hope any investigation done could determine that.

And yeah, the age gap there does seem creepy to me too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
zanm0nk wrote:
The fact that this is "legal" in Ohio sucks, and it was definitely abuse/assault in my opinion, but the fact that it happened there doesn't mean it's limited to events in Ohio.

Please don't misunderstand, I did not mean to imply that the alleged behavior was legal in Ohio, and I'm positive the article did not intend to convey that either.

I don't know Ohio law, but I strongly suspect that touching someone sexually, without their consent, while they are asleep is not legal.

Zanm0nk wrote:
Why does this merit an investigation? To determine whether it has happened to others,

The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I'm getting the feeling more people are gonna come forward accusing this guy. There's no way this kind of predator has only one victim.

The possibility that there are other victims is an important point when determining whether or not coverage is warranted. When ANN first started discussing how we should cover these topics, some guidelines were set. The offenses should be serious and/or there should be a pattern of behavior across multiple victims. While the last one is still a consideration, the Kevin Spacey incidents made it clear that reporting is still warranted when only one victim has come forward, because that one victim may in fact be the first of many.
zanm0nk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
zanm0nk wrote:
The fact that this is "legal" in Ohio sucks, and it was definitely abuse/assault in my opinion, but the fact that it happened there doesn't mean it's limited to events in Ohio.

Please don't misunderstand, I did not mean to imply that the alleged behavior was legal in Ohio, and I'm positive the article did not intend to convey that either.

I don't know Ohio law, but I strongly suspect that touching someone sexually, without their consent, while they are asleep is not legal.

Zanm0nk wrote:
Why does this merit an investigation? To determine whether it has happened to others,

The possibility that there are other victims is an important point when determining whether or not coverage is warranted. When ANN first started discussing how we should cover these topics, some guidelines were set. The offenses should be serious and/or there should be a pattern of behavior across multiple victims. While the last one is still a consideration, the Kevin Spacey incidents made it clear that reporting is still warranted when only one victim has come forward, because that one victim may in fact be the first of many.

Thanks for pointing out my poor choice in wording, I could have written it out a little better (it sounded good in my head). I just meant that it seems to me that the behavior should be framed as assault and that isn't legal, despite the legal age of consent in that state. I hope that if there are other victims, they feel safer coming forward now.

Last edited by zanm0nk on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote

I believe that what's more important is getting Duncan's part of the story. This is just a part of the whole truth. If there is more than one victim, (which at the moment, it is a speculation right now but doesn't mean it's impossible), I do hope that they find the courage to speak. In the end, then we get to see more of the whole truth. For now, it's all in due time as well.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
I think at this point, the anime dubbing industry really needs to start doing background checks and have them go as far back as humanly possible to keep these kinds of creeps out.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
A background check isnt going to catch something that hasn't been reported until now
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a private matter that should be handled in the courts. Not impressed what I'm reading here, but putting this out in public before a verdict has been reached in this case is jumping the gun.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The people asking “Why is he bringing up a personal matter now,” it’s because this ‘personal matter’ eats at you inside. It’s isolating. You tell yourself it couldn’t possibly have been what it really, was because it’s too horrible to accept the truth. You make excuses for years. And if and when you accept that you were abused or take advantage of, you fear for what your life will become in an After scenario, where suddenly everyone you loved as well as people you don’t know know what happened to you. You fear the judgement of others, the probing questions, the response from the abuser. It is so much than physical damage done in these types of situations.

In a situation of someone like this, that has power and pull, it’s reasonable to suspect that opening up could be helping someone else, or give someone else who can’t speak up the realization they aren’t alone anymore
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I've noticed about stories similar to this is that the initial communications and 'friendship' begins a year or two prior to being old enough for legal consent, but anything physical starts shortly after. It's pretty disturbing because it at least gives the indication of grooming to be able to push someone into "consent" or waiting until someone is old enough that statutes classifying someone as underage no longer apply. Behaving that way makes it apparent that someone knows what they are doing is wrong.

NeverConvex wrote:
zanm0nk wrote:

Not just that, but based on what Duncan described, it's pretty hard to believe it ever would have been consensual. He can't give consent to things happening while he was asleep, and it sounds like, more than once, he told Daman he was interested in females, not males, so it was never going to be that way between them.

Age of consent basically only factors into it if something sexual happened before then because it is considered legally impossible for the underage person to give consent, no matter the circumstances.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Counter-suing and claiming the relationship was "consensual" when it was with a 14- or 15-year-old. What the actual ****.

To be fair, "Duncan" was 16 the first time Mills allegedly touched him. So Duncan was over the age of consent in Ohio. The article tries to make it clear that the first alleged sexual contact was when he was past the legal age of consent.

Regardless, I still wouldn't call what is described by Duncan as remotely consensual.

Yeah, I don't think there's something in this case that can be called "fair" (not even the fact that 16YO is the legal age in Ohio). I'm always of the opinion that if you're not old enough to drink, you shouldn't be old enough to consent to people 5+years older than you.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
This is a private matter that should be handled in the courts. Not impressed what I'm reading here, but putting this out in public before a verdict has been reached in this case is jumping the gun.

The issue with 'waiting until a verdict has been reached' is that verdicts AREN'T reached most of the time. The prevalence of private mediation in cases like this means that even if someone is guilty there may never be a conviction because of a deal made between parties. In addition, a good point was made earlier in often times these are patterns of behavior that someone might not report on if it 'was just a one-time thing.' If everyone writes off their personal experiences as having an excuse then no one is able to see the fact that its not a one off, its being spread out.
In a perfect world, then yes, we should wait on personal judgement until a thorough investigation. However, we don't live in that world and the lack of times that a thorough investigation gets done at all means that someone who wants to stay abreast of information needs to watch things as they progress, not just when they're done.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The paper trail is damning.

What a garbage person.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7