• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
And just finished another show that finished its 12 episode run, Release the Spyce. It was okay, I think I liked it more than others, although the day it came out also had other shows that were higher up. The series did finish with some rather sudden turns, that could feel like it is drastic and come out of nowhere, spoiler[one of the girls revealed as having betrayed them to join the enemy, possibly killing a few characters and making it all go bad]. To be fair, I think that the first episode actually kind of hinted at it, so it should probably get excused, and the last episode spoiler[revealed that it was kind of a well executed fake turn so that they could catch all the conspirators to think they won]. There was also the addition in the last episode, that the mentor of the main character pulled a K, and spoiler[decided it was time to retire and she wanted to return to normal life with her memory erased]. It was kind of sad, but also nice in a way, it worked well by feeling like it did not want to leave a hanging thread as it wanted Momo to move forward as the teacher next.

I say that I liked it, although I do have some points that I find troubling. They were doing this plot where one of the characters on the evil side could be redeemed, where it felt like one episode left in the air how the next confrontation may work, but the next episode seemed to open with her already defeated. It felt like some episode was suddenly missing in the series, where a battle and growth was just cut out, it was really weird. I had to go back to the previous episode to be sure I watched it, and the disconnect was there. But maybe everyone got something that I did not.

Maybe it is not very apt or something, but this show reminded me of an older cartoon that I watched as a kid, Totally Spies, where it turned the general teen stuff into spy equipment. This show still has its own identity though, with the whole secret society thing. Still, it would probably be hard to not compare this to Princess Principal from last year. Which is really too bad because Princess Principal is really awesome in how it did things from steampunk historical setting, leading to cool world building, interesting aesthetics, very compelling characters that had twists, and a story that fully utilized something like a non-chronological story to make it most intriguing to the audience. Release the Spyce does not reach those heights, but it should not have to for anime to be compared to the best for what worth it may have.

For what it was, I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time. Although there was not major problems through out, I do think it is pushed down a few pegs, because it stumbled in places that did not stick as hard as it hoped. Going silly by making the muscular woman into some sort of hulk, I don't think taking proper advantage of traits of the main character they set up, and use of side characters also felt weak. Like I am not sure what I even think of the animal ninjas at the end.
woozle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Backstreet Girls Gokudolls on Netflix. I am a sucker for Idol anime, and the premise sounded amusing enough (Forced to surgically alter their bodies into girls, three yakuza brothers debut on the underground J-Pop idol scene after a year of intense training). Oh boy, this show was hilarious. I really didn't want to stop watching, and before I knew it I had watched the whole thing. I probably wouldn't rewatch it right away, but I would recommend it. At least watch the first episode.

The other show I just finished was The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. This was recommended to me by a friend after posting a picture on facebook about a character trying so hard to avoid being the main character in an anime. It is very amusing, super easy to power through, and I absolutely want to watch it again. The show is basically a high schooler has LOTS of psychic powers, like telekinesis, telepathy, teleortation, basically anything you can think of. He just wants to live a normal life, but sometimes he has to use them. Each episode is broken into little segments, so the show is not very linear, although there are some little things from each episode that carry over to the next. Very enjoyable 10/10 would recommend
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Another show finished after a 12 episode run is Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san, a little different from most shows in that it is technically a short length episode, not a full 24 minutes. But I think it still received a fairly large amount of attention in this season. Some people seem really happy about it, but I am mostly of the opinion that is okay, although some nice info on things like the BL scene.

I think that is a fair praise for the show, that it has been very good with homosexual representation in addition, and not quite just in a BL equals homosexual sense. But also, without anything that seems come out to say it, I think that I can see the reason why. The main character, Honda, seems very much a stand in for the audience, so much so that he is pretty much referred as making his manga on the side, and characters wanting to get portrayed, pretty meta. But at the start of the series I kind of could not be sure if Honda was a guy, skeletons could be anything, and I kind of noticed that he seems very interested in attractive men, saying they look like movie stars and stuff, so I think it pointed out that Honda, and thus the author, is likely a gay man himself. It seems weird that no one seems to be pointing out this fact, only mentioning customers, it just never beats it over the audience's head.

The show is some nice fanservice for the otaku genre (not in a sexual way), and probably something that many part of the fandom should check out for a particular point of view. I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), I can see it as good, but it also has a number of limiting factors such as animation. It's stylistic design has its benefits, but it also obscures things like emotions which the show has to be more explicit to convey, such as the smiling episode. It also causes all the main characters to feel less like people and more like character types.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
Yet another anime, lasting 12 episodes, so many were not give threads topics in the series discussion area, so it is having me pretty much spam here. This one is Anima Yell!, a CGDCT anime about cheerleading. There had been another cheer leading anime from recent memory, with Cheer Boys, but in trying to display the appeal of something like cheerleading in a place like Japan, its all boy group and messy drama, put it as an uphill battle. Anima Yell though, feels like it had an easier time with its girls group, which wanted to have fun with it, still put in effort, show that serious effort is involved in it, bur also make it cute and funny. In terms of general feel, it is kind of similar to the vampire show that was also out this season, so I kind of wonder if someone may watch one, and not the other. and this was kind of the less unique one.

I think it had some good bits, like how it used its main character, Kohane, as having spunk and optimism, but also a number of flaws, and never grew old how they would kind of show her with a sort of bird mouth for comedic moments. There was something quite endearing about her range of expressions, which had a sort of living in the moment thing, and I don't think she ever felt embarrassed, except perhaps over her fear. Not really any big story arcs, but I was particularly fond of an episode that centred around the worry that a younger boy would think cheer leading as uncool, because it is girly, and standing up for itself that cheerleading is actually pretty cool. You kind of feel like you could get a boost of charisma from it.

I think that the OP is among the catchier and better ones from the season, fitting of what I would call fun. Fun things are fun. In general the show did feel that way, fun, with its animation, and general silliness. Although, I kind of wonder if there is some bias involved, by the more male centred Run with the Wind this season, which I have not found fun at all, and have more serious criticisms, while maybe this is a bit of a free pass. I can only say that this one felt more lively and visually appealing, while the other one felt more hollow with a sense of characters being manipulated.

Anyway, I give Anima Yell a rating of Good (7/10), it strangely kept my attention more than a number of the more plot focused shows, and good natured without feeling like it does not have a mind, and I think that sort of thing is worth some kudos rather than just shaking off as cheap.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Finished the 12 episode of Space Battleship Tiramisu Zwei, the second season of the short length sci-fi mixed with odd slice of life. Honestly, I don't really like this series, I was kind of annoyed that I got myself to pick up this second season, this is despite the fact that I can kind of get into series that might do the everyday thing in-between big adventures that other series focus on. I just don't care about the everyday things, perhaps because I am not part of the culture being referenced, but it just feels so stupid, with random things taken too strongly from real life Japan. Perhaps some people will actually like and find funny that such mundane things of normal Japan show up in a space battle anime, and treated way too seriously, but it just takes me out of its setting. The sort of thing I like is because it feels like it might happen in that world, with characters just doing their thing, Goblin Slayer did it a few weeks and I quite enjoyed it, but I just don't find a lot of it believable.

Won't say that I never found it funny, I was fond of some jokes that went along the lines of breaking up a dramatic moment. Such s this last episode where Subaru had found an spoiler[easy way to actually save everything, but had to pretend that everyone was contributing, no one noticing that an explosion did not come from the place they shot]. Or the episode where his clone jumped the gun of spoiler[getting into the prototype mech that had not been fully calibrated yet, and did not want to go back out after making a big scene.] But a number of the jokes that were pivotal to different episodes, just fell flat to me, where the joke already ran its course, or it really does not matter. At the least, this season did not have the evil robot story of the first season, but the main character in a coma was not very good either.

I give it a rating of Weak (3/10), despite it being relatively short, and I did find humour in things, I stand by that I wish I did something better with my time than giving the second season a try.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
I thought the second season of Tiramisu was much better than the first. I wasn't even planning to watch it, since the first was kind of meh, but I'm glad I did, because it was lol funny at least once an episode and often had me rolling. Different strokes, I guess. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
And that is Conception down also, with its 12th episode. I have actually done a number of posts already here of this show, so maybe worth a little talk about. The show's main plot is kind of bad, where the main character Itsuki has to fight in a dungeon via the help of little beings born from the union of him and a dozen women. I imagine that compared to its video game source material, the anime barely put any attention on that aspect, instead focusing on the romantic/sexual escapades with the girls, although straight up romance is boring and some of the things could be seen as quite troubling. A Stockholm plot for example is not something to make such light of. But, when the show took note of how downright lame or kind of by the numbers it could be, it instead took things to a crazy silly, ironic, aware, and actually pretty funny place.

Strangely, despite being a problems still, the fact it went so far in the ridiculous messed up idea of token Stockholm syndrome character, is still weirdly funny, especially since it was partially paired with the best character of the show who's story went into the next episode. When it stopped trying to be a serious show in living up to what one might expect of romance, it actually could be really funny. I sort of wonder if I missed some of it in the earlier parts of the show, since I saw it as mostly uninteresting. While the second half in addition to above, had a spoiler[nutty bakery plot, a way too into animals bit, a bachelor episode, a plot of finding a 13th that it admitted should be obvious yet allowed a BL episode, and a love the mascot part.] To speak of the mascot, Mana, is that it could at least verbally go into every deranged sexual fantasy it could think of. Taking a look at the ED, is enough to see that it is not taking itself seriously, featuring a flat puppet like creation with obvious joints, of a muscular man dressed as the mascot (a female character with heavy sexuality despite none of it in her design), that dance in a dramatic fashion Its attempts to sexualize Mana were actually pretty funny.

I have mostly given praise so far, yet I somehow think it might comparatively deserve more criticism. Animation is nothing to write home about. Despite attempts to give character to the different maidens, some of them are just kind of boring and forgettable, with uneven voice talent. And I don't think that it leans enough into the insanity that I mentioned above, which actually worked, making a good stretch that was mostly boring that had little surprises in the earlier half. I have heard there is a sequel game, and I think if they plan to adapt more, they should straight up avoid trying to make itself serious, and just have crazy romance. Although, I do think some plots at the end kind of worked with what happened with one character, but it kind of undid itself. I was not even sure what was going on in the episode where the idol character seemed to be unwell, only I think leading up to a reveal that she spoiler[was actually 30 years old (compared to teenage lead), and something about her being a starchild]. But that was too serious. Being serious just killed the show, which generally felt lazy. A quick mention for the OP, which just had too much of that being serious to be interesting, not entirely saved by the fact it was sung by nano, who I generally love the OP songs from, but felt like yet a another bad series for a good nano song.

There should be a middle ground at looking at this series, whether too serious and uncreative as to push down the good, or some pretty good stuff in places that should pull it up. I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), it generally did not really grab my attention, before doing things that actually did get my attention, and I think pulled it up that I don't think I fully wasted my time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I am really spamming this thread, but I have as usual been watching a lot of shows in the past season, which have had no other place I have discussed them. The next finished series is As Miss Beelzebub Likes, something that has confused me a bit in its 12 episode run. I am not sure what the target audience is, it being a generally cute show, which generally follows the woes of female characters, with boys I think are meant to be cute, so I think it is aimed at women. Yet, it also has its share of things like female nudity, and what they admit as risqué outfits for the female characters that I guess the audience is meant to find their viewpoint. Such is the deal with the titular Beelzebub, a somewhat spacey, but high ranking demon/fallen angel girl, who likes cute things, While Mullin is meant to be the one the audience is cute for how he likes her.

It is strange. The show is super cute, but the characters are specifically mentioned as demons, and angels that fell from the heavens, so they should be the bad guys in most stories. The first episode hand waves a bit that they are still in a way doing gods work by punishing evil or something, but the setting then feels kind of hollow as they don't really do anything, just paperwork. It is not Hoozuki kind of thing where we see the characters acting up their underworld roles, you might as well have said that it is heaven instead of the underworld/hell, change a few names, and it would be practically the same. I can't see what the point really was in saying that they were demons, bar a very rare thing, such as succubi mentioned in the last episode.

Another odd thing, just from this last episode, was that it straight up mentioned KFC, and showed it. Not being vague and altering it a little, they had the colours and the slogan on the box, with the characters all saying "Kentucky", which is I assume how the Japanese refer to it. Was this a brand deal, and why in the world did they choose this anime of all things? One character was an adult woman shotacon, which is a strange addition of all things. One girl apparently has to pee a lot for getting nervous, is this something female audiences like? I do think that Beelzebub herself was a nice character, I like how she felt kind of elastic depending on various situations, her being the boss without having to be really intimidating, and going at what felt like her pace, with how this character likes things. Which I guess fits into the name.

In conclusion, it kind of feels like it was made for female audiences that wants cute things, while also showing themselves as cute (and maybe hot), bouncing around various archetypes of romance that they like, including the temptation of shotacon a bit. Maybe likes the sound of things like demons, but don't want it too scary, and.... I don't know. My response in watching is that I am curious about what those who really enjoyed it and found it their jam, might think of it. How do these different elements make something that grabs your attention? For a rating, I give it a Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, but I am left wondering what exactly I did watch in terms of genre.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
Must be getting to the end of the season as well as the year for finishing anime, with another finished of Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle. Not sure if many people even paid attention to this one, and I would say is one of the most likely of the season to fade away into obscurity, for the plain reason that it is pretty boring. Sure it had some interesting ideas in places, but none of it really felt enough to boost it from just being dull.

It actually reminds me of an anime from earlier in the year, a show called Last Period, due to a focus on a main character that feels very middle school, in a light fantasy world, where the characters go to varied locations, including characters of older men who have a one quirk of a speaking quirk. They both have obnoxiously cute non-verbal mascots with Miu and Toto, they look very similar. And I would not be surprised to learn that they both are adaptions of Android and IOS games. From the outset you can some similarities, but I am actually doing this to say that they are most certainly not the same thing, one of the took a very different approach, and I think made itself a very underappreciated gem.

Last Period is actually good. It knew that it probably get picked at for being a bit too immature in ways (as in for younger audiences) feeling a bit safe and child friendly as a sort of gateway to many more mature shows, so it actually had a lot of fun with itself. It had villains who were just kind of fun, stealing the show sometimes with being the ED, or really all of the characters feel like the show is in on the joke of how they would be perceived. It had weird crossovers with a horror series, barely hide story beats on controversial subjects, and even mock or criticise elements of its own source material (paid content gambling and Android phones). Despite initial appearances, it was actually really creative. And Merc Storia had none of that. it tries to do its story beats too seriously, has no irony in using annoying characters, and really just feels bland.

Granted, someone who probably has not seen 100 shows that tries its hand at the various stories it tries, might find it an interesting first watch, that may even make it successful to a certain audience. But as someone who has seen a lot of what this show did, done so much better in other shows, it could barely maintain my attention at times, there was no nuance to it, or at least not enough to make me care. I could probably say to check out the OP, and you would see something that actually looks pretty nicely put together, with a lot of attention paid to things like shadows (Crunchyroll don't have it listed), it looks pretty serious. And then have a look at the Last Period OP (if you care) and a lot of its characters are in chibi form, with backgrounds that look like a child's drawing, and really just simple, yet somehow catchy. The thing is that the series are kind of the same level in terms of depth and such, giving this feeling that one tried to shoot for the stars, while the other one knew what it was and just decided to have a silly party.

I should probably give a quick thing about its depth, and honestly I really don't get what the character journey for the main character even was, it just felt like he stumbled through the story arcs of other character, and just by proximity did things. This against Last Period again, which largely felt like episodes were about the main characters, and their relations with others. I would not say that Merc Storia was a total failure, it probably did best in having characters who the stories were about, and they may have a relationship with others, perhaps Yuu, but it also made the story arcs feel very disjointed from each other. It may be that Last Period really was not any less with breadth of settings, but Merc Storia had a few number of arcs, being over multiple episodes, that just felt too different. Like fairy kingdom where people are small for some reason, a graveyard town, a place around beauty of singing like birds, and then an angel floating city. With its more grounded approach, there was no hint that this strange variety that would be so distinct. And while it could sound interesting as the idea of going to such new places to explore, some of that makes me think of along the lines of Rage of Bahamut, it does not quite feel like the characters are quite interacting with it.

As a rating, I am going with Not really good (4/10), it isn't, but also not a total waste of time if you can get into some of it. Saying that, I don't know if anyone even cares that I talk about this one.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle. Not sure if many people even paid attention to this one

I have yet to finish the last two episodes, but I find the show charming. It's like watching a storybook come to life. The last two episodes may change my mind, but for me the show hit its peak with the Land of Dreams arc. I'm interested in the places/characters more so than the main duo. The show could've been something truly special if more thought was put into it.

I've actually been thinking about watching Last Period. Your write up of it has me intrigued.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I've actually been thinking about watching Last Period. Your write up of it has me intrigued.

I would be curious in maybe reception in difference between the shows for different tastes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Another post for me to add to this thread, but this is going to be a different situation that a lot of what I have posted, rather than a current series this is a series I just watched from 2011, I actually just went through the entire series today. Talking about why I watched this series itself, I think is going to be a big part of this discussion, honestly I don't know if this is going to be something cringey that I am in some phase, and read a while from now is going to be painful to me in not knowing what I was talking about at the time of this writing, especially since I think it has been influenced by external factors, that I think that I will actually talk about bellow.

Enough farting around, the show I just watch was 2011's Hourou Musuko, also known as Wandering Son. While I might talk about why I am watching it first, instead I think I will give a mini review of this series, just to not distract. I am sure that most who have a vague idea of this series have a general ideas on its themes, it is on things like transgender people (perhaps also crossdressing). The main character is a transgender girl, and she is close friends and a crush on a transgender boy. The series kind of comes at a point that these two might be the perfect couple as people who feel that they are the gender that is the opposite to what they were at birth. Honestly, that feels way to easy a path to go to just go the romance route with this, and luckily it takes a more nuanced approach.

Honestly, if took a more straight forward approach, it kind of feels like it may be a problem, like saying that a "boy who wants to be a girl" and a "girl who wants to be a boy" should just belong together. So much happier that it seemed to go the way spoiler[Shu's interest ended up turning to another, a girl.] Because if there was one theme I think that picked up towards the end, it was kind of a sort of changing minds, where certain things can seem strange, creepy, funny, or generally uncomfortable, until they are exposed to it. This was the case with her spoiler[girlfriend, who started to panic when she heard that Shu went to school in a dress, and broke up, with the end pointing that she could come around because she still likes Shu].

The other big character with that was Doi, an arrogant kid who liked to make fun girly looking boys, sticking with the general boy attitude, being a bit of an arse and a bully. This going until he find a lady he found to be particularly attracted to was a transwoman, and then asking Shu to dress up as a girl, he actually encourages her to go to school as a girl. Unfortunately it looks liked he became a bit of a coward at the event, calling Shu an idiot for actually doing such, upsetting her enough to say that she hates him. But Doi did not continue bullying, managed to kind of patch things up by working together, and again kind of encourage her to be herself. He was kind of a great character, because he started out being hateful towards LGBT people, a bully, but manages to actually change by thinking through his experiences, kind of like you would hope people generally will.

This does not mean that Doi is the only good character or even the best in the show. Shu (Shuichi) for one is an amazing kid, not for being some sort of Mary Sue or something, but this courage she had to try and be herself, when I think so many others could not. It is a big part of the show when she decided to take the risk at school, after Takatsuki manages with some success, but so heartbreaking when shown that the same leeway is not given to a trans girl, and she becomes the target of a lot of negative attention. It would probably take too long to go into each character individually, but there are also the likes of the also trans girl Makoto, who has a complex over not being as cute as Shu, or the hyper Chi who felt great for breaking down boundaries but also took a bit to get used to things.

Like there probably would not be enough time here to talk about every specific detail, the anime felt much of the same. Probably the first half or two thirds was at a very careful pace for the journey of these characters, it seemed that suddenly everything sped up to a crazy level, and we are practically getting clip notes of what their life may actually be like, as things start to change very quickly. Especially as Shu's secret gets out, her parents try to talk to her, his sister doesn't want to go to school either, Shu goes with his sister's boyfriend to their transgender friend, Shu is going to school again, Shu takes classes in the nurses room, and another festival is coming. It certainly feels like they tried to cram as much of what was in source material into as short of time as possible, and there is so much else of their lives we are not seeing. Especially since at that point the group that used to be in a single class had been split across multiple classes, and things would have had to have changed.

But I guess it had to stay on topic, get the important things for the story for what time they had. And still it dang got me to care about these characters already, that I was invested. The way it presents itself feels somewhat melodic, that I don't think what I said above, even matters to still enjoy the show, a nice enjoyable show, that handled itself with such grace. Probably was in a hard spot as by the time it had to be rough with time, it kind of had to bring the not so great things, such is the stigma of trans people, and life is not always going to be so easy to just reward everyone understanding by being yourself. There was a nice trick where Yuki, the transwoman, forced herself into what men's clothes she had in attending the first school festival, yet she went in her woman's clothes in the one at the end, like she herself was inspired by the tough thing that Shu did.

To give it a rating at this point, I am thinking of Excellent (9/10), I am a little sad that it took me this long to watch it, and I am pretty sure that it is going to stick in my mind. But unlike most things I write for finishing a show, this is not the end of what I will be writing, because next I am talking about why I watched this now, and a little bit about what I think that I am right now. They say that you should not write things that you are probably going to regret latter onto the internet, but I am probably just about to do it.

This show came out in 2011, it is when I watched the first episode, but I did not continue. Part of it was the animation, Hourou Musuko has a very washed out pallet, I am not sure how else to really describe it, and honestly I have never really been a fan of it, not even in 2017 when I cared little for a show called Tsuki ga Kirei which also had similar style, and totally failed to connect with me despite watching it. I would probably say it was A Place Further Than the Universe, one of the first shows of 2018 that put in me that I really could enjoy such a show, actually had me look back at this show that I did not continue and thing I possibly could pick it up. The other reason is probably more personal, because honestly this show made me uncomfortable back in 2011. At that point, I would say that I did not get what transgender even was, I just saw it as males and females pretending to be the other gender, something they were not, and I think that I saw it as wrong. I was a 20 year old that as it was had been bullied by being called gay as an insult through my school life, and perhaps I had come across crossdressing in anime, it felt more of a joke, and taking it seriously just felt deviant, even considering much of what I watched.

I was not the type to ever harass someone, but I thought dressing up as another gender as a joke. I still considered myself pretty progressive, I leant myself to learning about feminism issues over the years, things I perhaps could not sympathise with, and try to get. I can't tell you when I came more accepting of homosexuality, and not just in a sense that they look like a girl so they should be thought of just as one, but I am sure it was getting exposed to such people online, and learning that they are just people. My thoughts on actual transgender people, honestly I think it was on this very site, I used the word "trap", something not allowed here anymore, and I am uncomfortable writing it like this, but it is important in this context, because it was me being told off for using it here. I honestly never considered it was actually offensive to people, but being told off made me really started to consider what I thought about people who felt they were the other gender, and I think it was sites like Cracked that had me look at the struggles people have.

Next push I think was Donald Trump, Americans voted him in, and it felt like he was a push back of arrogance, while I thought the world was getting so much more progressive. Actually might have gone back to the Gamer Gate thing too, where I realized that just trying to be fair to woman had earned me titles like "White Knight" and Shonen Jump Weekly. I started paying much more attention to progressive news sources that shone a light on many injustices such as bias against LGBT people, that from what I had learned was very unfair. Things like the bathroom bills, where people made ridiculous arguments that men would pretend to be trans as to assault women like that would really happen at a high school.

Getting more personal, I think that earlier this year I would get what I would say as more confident about my sexuality. I had thought about it, and come to the conclusion that as a man I am straight, certainly attracted to women, and despite that fact, I could comment on what I thought might be a hot guy despite me being pretty certain I was confident in being straight. The addition in that, is that after consideration I could probably include a trans girl that I found attractive enough (I was pretty sure I could). It was at a pretty stable equilibrium through the year, with the slight addition until lately that I recognised that I could not create a character in a video game of a strength focused guy, it just never felt right for me, before a stroke hit me that I could use a female character as opposed to Dusky, it was Duskei, and I felt oddly comfortable having her be the warrior I could not make Dusky. But then later this year, a show hit, something with quite the surprise.

This show, spoiler[Zombie Land Saga], had already got my attention for other reasons, I would say it was kind of special, but for most of its reason not for any relevant reasons, until an episode revealed something that really got to me, a girl was revealed to be trans. I knew that here a number of mods and the like were dreading the brought up considering the proper word usage, as if there was a conversation worth having. But I was kind of excited, people were going to get it wrong, and in doing so would give the chance for more people to learn like I did. This had come around the time such as me learning that a Youtuber I watched, ThePedanticRomantic, is a transwoman, and I started coming across YouTube Channels that had taken the approach to actually try and engage with anti-Shonen Jump Weekly people and the like in ways that were not just trying to act enlightened, such as ContraPoints, another transwoman.

By chance I started to come face with the experiences with trans people in possibly a more honest and in the face manner than I had in the past. That possibly sounds like what happens next in me actually starting to think it was cool or something to be transgender, as I started to question myself like I had not before. But really I think that I learned that I am not like most of them, I never really had dysphoria over things like facial hair, or ever really having to present myself as a man. But at the same time, I never really felt dysphoria over the fact my nails naturally grew long and I often got told by girls that they were pretty, it always kind of always felt good. Of course I never really managed them to make them look good, because that would be girly and thus wrong, I did use to make a big stink of having them cut, and more recently started cutting them often myself.

In regards I don’t think I ever felt the uncontrollable urge to cross-dress or the like, but what might it say that I can trace some feelings of being stigmatised when young when questioning why only girls get to wear dresses and skirts. I mostly dress as a slob now with cargo pants and t-shirts. I remember getting made fun of as a kid when doing a dance I thought was fun, but was told it was girly. I can think back to a host of more feminine traits that I think I turned my back on because, was probably why “gay” was used as an insult against me so much when I was growing up. Right now, I think that I am re-evaluating myself like I had not done so before now, at the moment looking at it rationally I don’t think that I am really transgender, I don’t quite think that I will not be me if I did not look like the other gender, starting with that I am quite certain it is women I am attracted to. Yet I kind of realized that some of the women I have felt particularly attracted to have had some masculine features, and yeah I have recalled what I have considered confused moments when I was younger where I realized someone I was attracted to was actually male.

Feminizing myself would probably be no good, again I have felt no real dysphoria need to wear that sort of clothes. After all I am pretty sure I would just be a guy with a beard, in a dress or something. But you ever felt like there was another side of you, like a second person that is still you, right under the surface. I can actually recall for the longest time, that I would question myself what I would be like if I was born a girl, I actually was kind of happy to learn as a teen that my name could be used for either gender. Honestly, I am kind of really confused right now, as a 28 year old man, who does not know himself as well as he thought he did, who still finds the topic awkward, and yet doing something as crazy as writing this up here. I am searching for more knowledge and experiences, and that is why I watched Hourou Musuko on the 29th of December, 2018. ThePedanticRomantic released a video that talked about this show, and I thought that now was enough, I had to go back and watch this show that I ran away from in 2011. I thought that maybe I could get the courage to face it now, if it was on CrunchyRoll, and it was.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend reading the Wandering Son manga, it goes a lot further than the anime in exploring the characters. Sadly the English release got canned about 2/3ds of the way through.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Got a heck of an emotional bashing playing through Red Dead Redemption 2. So what would a good anime to watch after that? your name. of course since I hadn't seen it yet. I got wrecked. What is life?

It was a really good movie. Beautifully animated of course. Some parts early on were pretty funny (I loved the part where Mitsuha in Taki's body is trying to find the right pronoun to use by reading Taki's buddies' reactions Laughing). The VAs and the animation did a great job presenting the different mannerisms and voices when the body swapping happened. The romance aspect was really nice as well. I dunno what else to say.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Got HIDIVE for VRV so now I can finally watch Sentai's catalogue on TV. Started watching Allison and Lillia. It's been on my To Watch list for years. I'm on episode 6 and enjoying it so far. It's set in an obviously mid 1900s European expy world. The two leads Allison and Will are likable and have great chemistry. Wasn't expecting to hear Koichi Yamadera play one of the side characters so that was a treat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1018 of 1062