• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore - wait, I thought this was supposed to be good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
face in the windowpane wrote:

Oh, and Darksorrow. I wasn't going to reply, but I suppose I should. Priscilla going solo wasn't going against any plan. The team didn't seem to have one. Irene and the others actually kicked back and enjoyed assessing their new member's abilities; they certainly weren't panicked about the one-on-one. They were content to watch and step in when they were needed - and they knew that they would be needed.

Oh, and "even if someone is great against something, you should still use it"? Definitely not true. That assumption is the downfall of countless people, both real and fictional.

I don't own the anime so I just checked the manga for some references. In the chapters Marked for Death spoiler[when the claymores go after Teresa, they did have a plan but Priscilla ends up showing her face infront of Teresa and attacks her head on. Irene even comments on saying "she thinks she can take her head on" blah blah blah. They wait for awhile and are surprised how well Priscilla keeps up, then they join her and fight 4 v 1 against Teresa.

I can see what you're saying about them powering up using Yoma power now, but maybe they thought with their numbers their gained abilities would be enough to compensate for Teresa's powers against reading them. ]

As for what I said earlier about using against someone good against it. Sometimes that's all you can do if that's your greatest strength. An example that comes to mind isspoiler[ Hajime no Ippo], a boxing anime. Boxer's A whole fighting style and confidence is revolved around one special move and Boxer B has been training meticulously on how to counter that move. Should Boxer A sacrafice his own style of fighting, his confidence, his special move, just cause the other guy created a counter? Either way it's just opinion. They don't expect us to be thinking this much Anime hyper.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
face in the windowpane wrote:
Hey, John Casey.

What exactly is your problem with Inuyasha? I hate that show too, but a lot of the similarities between it and Claymore are, apparently, staples of the genre. I didn't know that because I haven't seen too much of it. It was an expensive lesson. Mad

If you don't have a problem with action anime in general, then I guess you shouldn't stress about it too much.

My hatred of Inuyasha stems from my intense, INTENSE dislike of Rumiko Takashi. It's got nothing to do with the genre itself, or it's many annoying quirks, like 20 seconds of fighting followed by 20 minutes of exposition.

That doesn't bother me so much, honestly.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Clare had not spoiler[Awakened yet, and there's no proof that she would have Awakened automatically as soon as she killed Priscilla. She was able to turn back after sparing Priscilla, it follows that she could have turned back after killing Priscilla. One act of mercy-killing would not have made a difference (or enough difference) timing-wise or with respect to Clare's mental state. An act which is totally justified in the grand scheme of things both morally and practically-speaking, but that's besides the point.]

I still think Clare should spoiler[have killed Priscilla and then kill herself, just to be on the safe side. She didn't know at the time whether she could "return to normal" or not. In hindsight, she could have, but of course hindsight is 20/20.]

Sorry, but you're off for certain on at least part of this and subjectively so on the rest. spoiler[When Clare was losing herself to the transformation in episode 24, after defeating Rigaldo, what did she do? She asked Helen to kill her because she clearly couldn't do it herself. Given that scene, and the earlier scene with Ophelia, there seems to be considerable evidence that suiciding after transforming wasn't a realistic option.]

As for the rest, spoiler[I don't disagree that killing Priscilla would have been justified and probably better in the grand scheme of things, although that point is irrelevant since Isley would never have allowed Clare to drop the death blow had he believed she was going to carry through with it. I also thought it was quite clear that Clare's progressive transformation indicated that she was losing herself to her vengeance, and since she had made it quite clear over the course of the series that vengeance was the driving force in her life, once that vengeance was completed she had no reason to continue living and so no reason to resist Awakening. The only way for her to continue on as a human was for her to be convinced - as Teresa was - that there were other things worth living for.] If you don't see and accept that last part, then continuing this discussion further is pointless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems silly that to defend claymore alot of people have to make excuses for it. Like "well you might be right that it is inconsistent, has endless exposition and is filled with lame cliches. But so is every other anime", that doesn't make claymore look better it just makes anime look worse. I went into claymore with no expectations and found it to be a big mediocre cliche on wheels, the show was formulaic I would only be disappointed in it if I was expecting something new or original which I am not naive enough to anticipate
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Claymore isn't any masterpiece by any means, but I think you're being overtly critical hear face. As presented by other posters, you're supposed major inconsistency is debatable and is by no means conclusive. spoiler[Claymores can make bad decisions, and in the heat of the moment rely on told and true. Also, key's argument about having no other choice but to try to overpower Teresa sounds pretty solid to me. ]

The ending is a little dry for my tastes, which is why I followed the manga afterwords (which I recommend if you liked the anime). The battle to balance humanity is what kept me going until the end though. This thread has intrigued me into watching Claymore again, thanks.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
One thing I don't get mentioned about Claymore is that for a "fantasy" series it's very, very stark in setting. It's not filled with legends nor a complex mythology, or tales of lineage, and the ONLY supernatural element in the series is the Yoma themselves (although the manga recently mentioned spoiler[the Dragon-People, the real reason the Claymore were created in the first place], but who knows how they'll play into the story, if ever)

It's actually very refreshing in my opinion.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
It seems silly that to defend claymore alot of people have to make excuses for it.

...You're right! =_= Why ARE people making excuses for this show...

I mean...it's like...the Kingdom Hearts fanbase all over again. ...Polish a turd, and all you get is a shiny turd. :/
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote:
It seems silly that to defend claymore alot of people have to make excuses for it.

I mean...it's like...the Kingdom Hearts fanbase all over again. ...Polish a turd, and all you get is a shiny turd. :/

My god, its...it's like people have differant tastes and opinions then yours, it's totally...INCONVEIVABLE!!!
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

My god, its...it's like people have differant tastes and opinions then yours, it's totally...INCONVEIVABLE!!!

what opinions are those? That a polished turd is a diamond?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

what opinions are those? That a polished turd is a diamond?

My opinion that you can disagree with someone about something without being a jerk about it.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Did you really have to create a post saying how much Claymore sucked for you?
Think about it
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mercy kill? spoiler[Are you calling Clare's attempt to kill Priscilla a mercy kill? Because it was anything but. Clare's major motivation in Claymore has been to get revenge on Priscilla for killing Teresa, and during the climactic battle, that is clearly the only thing that matters to her, which would mean that after she was done, she would have had nothing left but an Awakened's hunger as her motivation. Furthermore, that Awakened Beings are just as intelligent and possess as much will power as humans means little, as they also have an insatiable hunger for human guts. Priscilla and Isley have no trouble not eating Raki, but they still have to eat other people.

In regards to it still being a net positive if she had killed Priscilla because Clare was the weaker of the two, that makes little sense. If she were the weaker of the two, she wouldn't be able to kill Priscilla. ]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

Well, I obviously can't speak for everyone. However, the reason I'm willing to tolerate Claymore's major flaws to some extent is that it does also do a lot of things well.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

...What in the hells are you on about? Did I miss something here?
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Claymore pretty well while I agree that the ending was a little underwhelming I felt that it was perfect considering the time of the manga.(You wouldn't want countless fillers like Bleach and Naruto would you?) I think it ended right when it was supposed to, for the anime at least.

While the drawn out fights scenes can get annoying there not something we haven't seen before(DBZ, Bleach, Naruto), though I do enjoy the scenes when people die. Now I'm not saying I smile when they die I'm just satisfied that the deaths of characters in Claymore are quick and not drawn out too far(no long cries or sappy speeches).

spoiler[When Teresa got her head cut off it was quick and brutal, and the shock it did to Claire I felt was perfect.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6