• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor, ADR Director Daman Mills Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I always had the impression that Daman Mills was a class act and popular in the VO community, especially after succeeding Chris Ayres as Frieza, but now he sounds like another Vic.

I am so sorry for what Duncan had to go through and I hope something is done. If there are any more victims, I hope they feel comfortable coming forward.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Ironic that he's also cited in another article cancelling his appearance at Kameha Con due to the Vic situation.

I hope he gets what's coming for him, absolutely disgusting.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Man that whole thing was just really hard to read.

This to me is so far removed from the Vic situation. He never had any sort of creeper reputation either among fans or fellow industry peers (if anything he's more so had the reputation of being a talented class act considering how many directors have really sung his praises over the years). Not to mention he has been super active in working with multiple studios on on different shows. He was just announced in several the past couple weeks.

And like okay I guess you can say whatever about it starting when they were both younger/over the age of consent and whatnot but like... even if you put that aside for strictly legal reasons, he still was pursuing a 15-year old and the whole thing after they met clearly wasn't consensual.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I feel disgusted.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Ironic that he's also cited in another article cancelling his appearance at Kameha Con due to the Vic situation.

There are people on Twitter trying to use this news to undercut the fact that Vic was a predator. Like this changes anything about what Vic did. Some folks need to get a hobby.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
What’s with all these voice actors being creeps?

Most likely because they’ve received some amount of fame amongst a small amount of people and they let it go to their heads thinking they’re bigger than what they are and can do anything they want

In this case, though, the incident happened before this person started their career as a voice actor.

FireChick wrote:
I think at this point, the anime dubbing industry really needs to start doing background checks and have them go as far back as humanly possible to keep these kinds of creeps out.

Wouldn't have helped here since the incidents weren't reported until after he already started.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
This is a private matter that should be handled in the courts. Not impressed what I'm reading here, but putting this out in public before a verdict has been reached in this case is jumping the gun.

Most journalists don't enjoy covering this sort of material. And frankly, it isn't good for business. So please trust me when I say that we do this only because we believe it should be reported on. Honestly, I hate that ANN reports on this material, but I acknowledge that we have a responsibility to do so.

Since even before the Weinstein affair, it's been clear that reporting on these kinds of allegations encourages other people to come forward. As I mentioned before, the Spacey affair is an excellent example of a situation where it was as a result of media coverage that additional victims came forward and became part of the legal proceedings.

Additionally, in some cases, media coverage will give certain decision makers invaluable information that they might use in regards to alleged abusers in the future. Whether it's to hire them into situations where they might come into contact with potential victims, to allow their children to come into contact with the alleged abuser, or to allow themselves to come into contact with the alleged abuser.

I'm not suggesting that every alleged abuser should be totally "cancelled," but people deserve to be informed about the allegations so that they can determine for themselves whether or not they should adjust the way they interact with the alleged abuser.

This is particularly important in cases where no legal action will take place, which could be for a number of reasons, including behavior that isn't technically illegal, behavior that is past the statute of limitations, or the decision of alleged victims not to file charges (which can also be for a variety of reasons, including financial settlement, or the desire to "put this behind them").

In this particular case, there is no legal action that will lead to a verdict on whether or not the allegations are true. Even the legal action threatened under the C&D letter sent to "Duncan" will almost certainly not lead to a verdict on whether or not the allegations are true.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Man, I swear to God, the animation industry in all aspects just attracts all sorts of disgusting people…

Sadly, I think society is just full of disgusting people. Things like this happen all around us. Lots of people who seem otherwise great have done reprehensible things in the past or are still engaged in them. It's just that we tend to learn more about it when these people are public figures.

If anything, I'd say the anime industry is a way better place than many other industries.

-t
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that took a dour turn. Shocked I guess I lean towards thinking that we focus on and emphasize bad actions, whether out of a sense of responsibility or because it collects eyeballs (though, from what Tempest said, that doesn't seem to be ANN's motivation), and that it is very difficult to infer from the small set of highly-selected-for examples of malicious/evil behavior what, if anything, that says about the median person.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing and disgusting news and I hope he gets blacklisted from the industry along with other VAs who have been accused that are somehow still there. This makes things especially awkward as he just got cast in Haikyuu literally last night and he’s also playing a recurring character in the Odd Taxi dub which is still in production. This makes me wonder will Crunchyroll delay the next Odd Taxi episodes to recast him and will Sentai issue a statement about the Haikyuu dub.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

This kind of thing is what makes covering these issues so hard sometimes. "But he seems like such a good guy," and "but this goes against other things he's done or said." Journalists deal with these questions internally long before they hear them from the public.

People often have a disconnect (a cognitive dissonance) between what they believe is right, and their own actions.

Sometimes we're aware of this dissonance; most people in fact can look back a few years at things they've done and say, "what was I thinking?" Other don't realize their past actions were wrong, and they gleefully go about criticizing others for similar behavior (or they do so believing that what they did wasn't as bad as the actions they currently criticize).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes at a young age, you don't really feel the weight and understand how these things are wrong until you're older, or you're no longer in the environment or influenced by the person who is trying to coax you into doing something you're uncomfortable with.

In that circumstance, I understand why it would take a long time to speak out. I mean, we already saw the examples with Vic Macaroni, regardless of how long ago it was, look how many fans Vic has, who still don't believe anything.

Survivors of trauma always try to rationalize the abuse before coming to terms with it, I think....it's because facing that reality is very difficult to process.

In any case, the only thing that I'm genuinely confused about is if Mills tried to use his "fame" to downplay what was going on with this victim. It kinda sounds like a mix of it, or not. Age of consent or not, "no" means "no." This is gross and disappointing, as I'm a big fan of his. Neutral

Tempest wrote:

People often have a disconnect (a cognitive dissonance) between what they believe is right, and their own actions.

Sometimes we're aware of this dissonance; most people in fact can look back a few years at things they've done and say, "what was I thinking?" Other don't realize their past actions were wrong, and they gleefully go about criticizing others for similar behavior (or they do so believing that what they did wasn't as bad as the actions they currently criticize).

I think this is what happened, and the past came back to bite them in the ass. What a shame.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

There are people on Twitter trying to use this news to undercut the fact that Vic was a predator. Like this changes anything about what Vic did. Some folks need to get a hobby.

They think just because someone who doesn’t like Vic has done something creepy it automatically means their savior is innocent
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Daman Mills is one of the more talented voice actors to come out of the dub medium in the last several years this hellfire will probably damage his dubbing career moving forward like it has with so many of this other peers in the same profession. A damn shame he's among my favorite voice actors don't know what to make of this out of the blue events honestly hope he's able to continue working in dubbing the medium it will be much poorer without his vocal chops.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Man, I swear to God, the animation industry in all aspects just attracts all sorts of disgusting people…

It's not just the Animation industry, people like this permeate society, but you're just likely not to hear about the local bar manager groping a plucky young bartender, because it barely rises above the local news, and Anime News Network definitely wouldn't cover that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7