• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor, ADR Director Daman Mills Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, this hurts like hell, yet at the same time, wonder if there's something else to this...

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record, but revelations like this make me think back hard during my time when I too engaged in inappropriate misconduct towards certain people (Not the same like Daman but can come close) and wondering if I can still move on from the demons I had back then... Sad
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Why can't people just keep their hands to their dam selves? Some people need to go back to preschool - if you can't keep your hands to yourself, then sit on them.

This is very disappointing to hear about Daman. I've been rewatching Kuroko's Basketball in English and really enjoyed hearing him as Midorima. I want to believe that he'll be more gracious in speaking about this (if and when he's able to) than Vic was, but you never know these days...

I can't imagine how Duncan felt after all those years, my heart goes out to him.
Hextar Vigar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember a saying about situations like these: something about "glass houses"?
Kametsu Mirza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for believing victims, but this whole thing reads sour for me. The screenshots are extremely one-sided and don't do anything to paint a complete story. The whole thing comes across as a little homophobic to me personally and I really don't see why this article was posted without further research and deliberation
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kametsu Mirza wrote:
I'm all for believing victims, but this whole thing reads sour for me. The screenshots are extremely one-sided and don't do anything to paint a complete story. The whole thing comes across as a little homophobic to me personally and I really don't see why this article was posted without further research and deliberation
The guy literally forced himself on someone who said no repeatedly. Not all gay people are perfect and it's not homophobic to warn others if somebody is a danger anymore than you would if it was a guy doing this to a girl. And this post comes across as very dismissive of male victims of abuse.
Kametsu Mirza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Kametsu Mirza wrote:
The guy literally forced himself on someone who said no repeatedly. Not all gay people are perfect and it's not homophobic to warn others if somebody is a danger anymore than you would if it was a guy doing this to a girl. And this post comes across as very dismissive of male victims of abuse.

There are no screenshots or evidence of him saying no, only the alleged testimony. The only thing being dismissed here is the concept that this could be falsified to cast an innocent person in bad light. I understand that male victims exist, but there needs to be more actual proof. This is nothing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Kametsu Mirza wrote:

There are no screenshots or evidence of him saying no, only the alleged testimony. The only thing being dismissed here is the concept that this could be falsified to cast an innocent person in bad light. I understand that male victims exist, but there needs to be more actual proof. This is nothing
You claim to understand male victims exist but dismiss him because the male victim didn't think ahead of time to screenshot him saying no while he was being assaulted just to pleas some rando on the Internet. And you still haven't explained how this is homophobic.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kametsu Mirza wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Kametsu Mirza wrote:

Something definitely seems sus about all this. In the screenshots of the text messages, what I believe to be a recent photo of Daman is used for his profile picture for example.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
That's because if you go into your messages right now and screenshot something from 2014, the profile picture will be whatever the other person currently has. The only way it'd show an old profile pictures is if the screenshot was taken at the time that profile picture was in use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kametsu Mirza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Something definitely seems sus about all this. In the screenshots of the text messages, what I believe to be a recent photo of Daman is used for his profile picture for example.

The thing about the screenshots of the texts is that they conveniently only paint Daman in a bad light. We know nothing of the context of the rest of the conversation
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:33 am Reply with quote
Kametsu Mirza wrote:

The thing about the screenshots of the texts is that they conveniently only paint Daman in a bad light. We know nothing of the context of the rest of the conversation
How dare allegations that show somebody doing something bad show them doing something bad. Rolling Eyes
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
I was just going to to say that I hoped that Daman Mills doesn't have the sort of influence that Vic Mignogna had and that this can at least end without him dragging his victims through the mud even if he doesn't get blacklisted and-

Oh look, someone is already defending him here on the forums. History is just going to repeat here, isn't it?
Kametsu Mirza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
People are so quick to point out the similarities between Daman and Vic but not the differences. Vic was a predator who used his fame to harass multiple people, fans and colleague alike. There were definitive testimonies from multiple people that showed both sides of the story, not 2 screenshots of past text messages that could easily be skewed out of context. Daman on the other hand wasn't even part of the industry at the time wasn't in a position to leverage fame of any kind. If I turn out to be mistaken, I will gladly eat my words and admit to being wrong, I just don't think it's fair that 'believe all victims' has become a potential weapon that could be used against anyone at any time regardless of actual validity. Honestly, the whole scenario just looks like high school drama more than an actual sexual assault
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote
Kametsu Mirza wrote:
People are so quick to point out the similarities between Daman and Vic but not the differences. Vic was a predator who used his fame to harass multiple people, fans and colleague alike. There were definitive testimonies from multiple people that showed both sides of the story, not 2 screenshots of past text messages that could easily be skewed out of context. Daman on the other hand wasn't even part of the industry at the time wasn't in a position to leverage fame of any kind. If I turn out to be mistaken, I will gladly eat my words and admit to being wrong, I just don't think it's fair that 'believe all victims' has become a potential weapon that could be used against anyone at any time regardless of actual validity. Honestly, the whole scenario just looks like high school drama more than an actual sexual assault

If only there were an article you could read for that validity… oh wait that’s where we are. Turns out there are multiple versions of predators, and them having different motives and methods doesn’t make either of them not one. This is probably a pointless thing to try and reason with you on, since there’s plenty of red flags here that you’re not approaching this in any amount of good faith.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
I don't see this becoming a Vic situation as far as the person who came forward is concerned because thankfully Mills doesn't have a rabid heavily-cultivated fanbase built around himself, Duncan isn't a public person like some of Vic's victims were, and any backlash against Duncan has been pretty nil. Hell, if anything it feels like Vic's entire mob are essentially the only people talking about this at all outside of specific discussion forums like this since they've essentially rallied with such glee about the whole thing going on about karmic retribution and having a new cause to get behind. Which is a whole other can of worms I really don't have the fortitude to tackle right now against everything else.

There's zero chance ANN's staff didn't know this exact thing would happen too, so I have a lot of sympathy for them. That can't feel great even if you are doing the right thing.
Kametsu Mirza wrote:
People are so quick to point out the similarities between Daman and Vic but not the differences.

My first comment here talked about the differences between these situations, and while those differences might make this more shocking or hurtful, they don't automatically invalidate it no matter how I feel.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7