• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest surprise you've seen in anime lately.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru Thought it was going to be a poor man's Hikaru no Go with added shojo but was proven very wrong.

Listen to me I'm your father Picked this up on crunchy out of pure morbid fascination, and found it only a fraction as sordid as I was dreading-slash-hoping.

Kara no kyoukai A type moon show I liked, a first for me.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica episode spoiler[three, where Mami parts ways with her heads. For the creators to kill off a major character in the third episode, that hasn't happened in a while in adult shows, or at all in Magical Girl shows.]

I didn't find it that surprising. Considering the circumstances I kind of felt it coming.

Same here. I thought it became an obvious outcome once spoiler[they pulled the Mami, teary-eyed "I'm no longer alone! Let's get'em!"] thing. It was a spoiler["OH! You're totally going to die now, aren't you?] moment. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm glad they did that; it pretty much soured the whole appeal of being a Magical Girl. It was a reality-bomb that worked quite well.

Only real surprise I can think of right now is actually liking Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos. I remember watching some of those shorts a couple years back and being bored by them, so I initially wrote off the TV series. but, it turned out to be quite hilarious from beginning to end. It never tried to be serious at all, which was a giant plus. Sometimes silly shows like this will try and shoehorn in some kind of attempt at being dramatic, but not Nyarko-san. It had a few fake-out moments where you might think it's doing that, but it always turned out to be part of the joke they were working up to. It sounds like there might be more Nyarko-TV down the line, and I welcome it.
UnrestrictedMethod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Buso Renkin surprised me with the twist in episode 16. Before then I was really getting beaten down by how mediocre this show is, I hadn't particularly enjoyed myself since episode seven (or eight, if I'm feeling generous) and viewed episodes twelve through fifteen in particular as gross shōnen crap. So I was ready to give up on this show but gave it one more episode to be sure when I was hit with a twist I never expected which renewed my interest in the show. Not only that but it redeemed much of episode 15 by explaining why spoiler[Kazuki became a Victor and why it didn't happen until that moment.] It didn't just come out of nowhere, there's an actual reason for it. Episodes seventeen and eighteen were also reasonably impressive especially in how spoiler[Gouta doesn't betray Tokiko and Kazuki when he realizes they are in love but instead dedicates himself even more to Tokiko, because that's what true love is.] I hate this painful cliché which is why it's so appreciable that Buso Renkin subverted it. spoiler[(He still doesn't like Kazuki, but that's all right)] Still haven't watched past episode 18, though. I'm trying to justify droping $40 to get the second half so I don't have to watch subbed via Hulu anymore, but have yet to manage.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Although I shouldn't be, my biggest surprise comes when I enter my Crunchyroll queue and notice I have to remove a few more titles from the list because they're no longer available for streaming.

I can (barely) tolerate those taken down for DVD releases, but it's rather inexcusable to take down series which have no replacement other than those which aren't favored by the industry.

I won't use those unappreciative services, given there are other series out there, but it's a shame we still have this ridiculous attitude in 2012.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2