• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime about adults?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
now that i think about more than just TV series i'll pitch the Mardock Scramble movie(s), possibly my favourite piece of anime i've seen in the last 18 odd months, as a huge fan of GitS i was instantly pulled in by this, future city, cyborg lead, crime related series.

*snip*

it may be worth adding like a little colour coding or bracketed note at the end of any child-involved or college series

Good idea about color coding. Isn't Mardock Scramble about a child prostitute who was murdered?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
now that i think about more than just TV series i'll pitch the Mardock Scramble movie(s), possibly my favourite piece of anime i've seen in the last 18 odd months, as a huge fan of GitS i was instantly pulled in by this, future city, cyborg lead, crime related series.

Except that Rune Balot, the central character, is not an adult. (She's only 15, too.) It's definitely an adult-oriented series, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay the list is up to date as of this post. I left off a few shows that I thought were kind of borderline line. Such as shows with two main characters where one of them was young (Koi Kaze) or shows with a lot of younger characters (Valkyrie Chronicles).

I'm really not sure about Canaan. If someone else can verify that it fits I'll put it up (are they college aged?). Or am I getting confused with Canon?

Steins Gate appears to be full of teenagers even if they're smart enough not to be in highschool anymore (if the wiki is to be believed). I haven't watched that one yet but I want to.

I'm not dissing shows with younger characters. I like many shows with highschool and younger characters. It just gets a little tiring once in awhile and I need to see adult dynamics and conflicts for awhile. I guess I get that in live action shows, but there is never enough of those with sci fi/fantasy bents for me. And I can't shake this feeling that we'd all be better off if we could stop gap the loss of post college fans somehow, even if only a little.
Yupa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Canaan (not Kanon indeed)

Utakoi should be in the TV section, it's currently listed as a movie.

Some Ghibli films:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:
Canaan (not Kanon indeed)

Utakoi should be in the TV section, it's currently listed as a movie.

Some Ghibli films:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso

Utakoi is fixed and Porco Rosso has been added. But isn't Nausiccaa a kid? She appeared to be about 13 or 14 to me. Its defintily an anime with adult themes I'd recommend to adults, but that's a list that would be waaay longer than this one.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
I'm not dissing shows with younger characters. I like many shows with highschool and younger characters. It just gets a little tiring once in awhile and I need to see adult dynamics and conflicts for awhile.

In that case I do not understand why you would leave out Koi Kaze, it arguably deals with its subject matter in a more adult way than most, without exploitation or titillation.

If this list is to cater to those looking for mature themed shows then I think it fits the bill perfectly. Just listing shows with an all adult cast is a bit arbitrary isn't it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the logic in this list other than "ANIME ABOUT HIGHSCHOOLERS IS BAD, AUTOMATICALLY". You can easily have terrible series with characters who are in their 40s, doesn't mean the show is mature or good. You'd have an easier time just singling out the anime about high schoolers or younger. But that said, might as well contribute to what will be a never-ending and ridiculously long list based off of the bare minimum of requirements, and do it with anime that need more exposure.

I guess I could say Five Star Stories, although ages don't work exactly the same as we use them. It's a series about fabulous people piloting fabulous robots.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS is about a veteran soldier and mercenary making his way through life and battle across several star systems to find a woman who might be able to help him understand himself.

Goddamn short OVA about rallying in Africa.

Cleopatra DC a rich debutante does some action-filled legwork against an Arab dictator caricature. They blow up a space shuttle too, and it's remarkably reminiscent of the recent Challenger disaster.

Desert Rose a bunch of women commandos have to protect a precariously placed ski chalet full of foreign diplomats.

Legend of Lemnear is great if you loved the last segment of Heavy Metal. It's basically Urushihara's and Yoshimoto's exploration of a similar story.

The Time Stranger, a movie sequel set decades after the TV series GoShogun. The sole female's life story and relationship with her comrades is told in an abstract and personal manner where she must confront personal demons.

Windaria. I'm not sure of their ages, but it's likely in their earlier 20s or late teens. No institutions of learning are to be found anyway.

Wanna-Bes and Maris: The Choujo remind me of each other, and all the characters are likely legal and already engaged in their careers.

I can do this for days.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke - The age of Medicine seller is never stated, but he looks adult and seems to be ageless. The supporting characters are adults too and the show explores the darker side of human nature.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:

In that case I do not understand why you would leave out Koi Kaze, it arguably deals with its subject matter in a more adult way than most, without exploitation or titillation.

If this list is to cater to those looking for mature themed shows then I think it fits the bill perfectly. Just listing shows with an all adult cast is a bit arbitrary isn't it?

It does deal with mature themes, but one of the main cast (that really only has two main characters) is under aged. Is it really about adults? There are tons of anime that deal with mature themes, but don't have an adult cast. Anime with mature themes is a much broader topic that I don't really want to make a list of. I'm not really sure I could. It'd be a really long list.

I'm not arguing the merit of the show, I just want to keep the list focused.

On another note: I have vague memories of a mid to early 2000s josei show about a retired magical girl. Does anyone have any ideas of what that could be?

Last edited by ashez2ashes on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Id like to see a list that excludes college-age young adults. A lot of anime with very young adults (e.g. Honey and Clover, Eden of the East) is very coming-of-age-y. The characters may not be minors but they're not grown-ups yet and that's the point. (Didn't Oshii once say that he regarded the cast of Patlabor as just one step more advanced than that of UY, goofy kids trying to figure it out?)

Here are some painfully, daggily adult suggestions for a non-youth-oriented list:
Domain of Murder
Human Crossing
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology
(well, a number of the episodes, anyway)

Last edited by ailblentyn on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
On another note: I have vague memories of a mid to early 2000s josei show about a retired magical girl. Does anyone have any ideas of what that could be?

Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo? That's just Belldandy in a wig.

Adding another for the college specific list: White Album. It does have a highschool character who's being tutored by the lead, but the majority of the cast are in college or entering their careers.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I think Hakkenden also fits, but I am not sure how old the characters are.

Another anime I can think of is Mind Game.

edit
Roujin Z - It's about old people.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
It does deal with mature themes, but one of the main cast (that really only has two main characters) is under aged. Is it really about adults? There are tons of anime that deal with mature themes, but don't have an adult cast. Anime with mature themes is a much broader topic that I don't really want to make a list of. I'm not really sure I could. It'd be a really long list.

But the story is told exclusively from the adult's point of view, isn't that what really matters? By that logic Usagi Drop shouldn't make the list either.

Not flammin' here, just want to better define what this list actually is.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Id like to see a list that excludes college-age young adults. A lot of anime with very young adults (e.g. Honey and Clover, Eden of the East) is very coming-of-age-y.

I'm going to try to keep the college student anime in blue. If I missed making any blue let me know.

Pixelationist wrote:
ashez2ashes wrote:

But the story is told exclusively from the adult's point of view, isn't that what really matters? By that logic Usagi Drop shouldn't make the list either.

Not flammin' here, just want to better define what this list actually is.

Yeah, it being from his perspective is enough to put it on there. He's got an adutl friend or something in this too doesn't he? That might put adults in the majority. Hmm your right about Usagi Drop. There's lots of other adult characters in that one though. Okay I'll add Koi Kaze. I should put an asterisk on Usagi Drop too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by ashez2ashes on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Spring and Chaos - It is about Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa.
Texhnolyze
Toshokan Sensou - It's about librarians.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5