• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest surprise you've seen in anime lately.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
List the biggest surprise in anime you've seen lately. It can be anything, from character design, a series, an episode, a gag in an episode or within a series in general, etc.

Limit this to just one title or thing.

Last month I finished Guin Saga (yes I know it's a few years old), and I have to say this series really surprised me. Such a well written story and plot.
Then again when I looked into Guin Saga is the longest lasted book under the same author in existence. Because of this of course the anime had to be good. Sure I admit the Anime has it's flaws, such as incredible animation in most scenes besides battle scenes, and some things in the series were either slightly rushed and/or brought up mid series then not explored again until initiated in the last episode. But it was overall one of the more original views I've seen lately.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Puella Magi Madoka Magica episode spoiler[three, where Mami parts ways with her heads. For the creators to kill off a major character in the third episode, that hasn't happened in a while in adult shows, or at all in Magical Girl shows.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica episode spoiler[three, where Mami parts ways with her heads. For the creators to kill off a major character in the third episode, that hasn't happened in a while in adult shows, or at all in Magical Girl shows.]

I didn't find it that surprising. Considering the circumstances I kind of felt it coming.

For me perhaps when in Xam'd: Lost Memories spoiler[Furuichi Teraoka decapitates himself]. It was just so sudden and instantaneous and there was no way to prepare for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

That did shock me too, I knew that they would pull something, but not that extent.

Trying to think of something more recently, I guess that if I had to say something that surprised me in anime and comes from the top of my head, it would be from Haiyore Nyaruko-san. The first time they spoiler[gave the an awful explanation for the plot; that they were planning to kidnap Mahiro so that he could be an actor in a live action BL show.] After that I was already for all sorts of crazy stuff being pulled.

Or maybe I should mention the bread robot?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
I'd probably say the amount of nudity in the recently aired Lupin III/Mine Fujiko. I haven't seen a character appear so often in just her birthday suit in quite some time, and with none of that ridiculous steam or similar obscuration effects you see in most ecchi shows. While these scenes obviously contain a component of fanservice, Fujiko's use of her body and her sexuality are integral to the story.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'd probably say the amount of nudity in the recently aired Lupin III/Mine Fujiko. I haven't seen a character appear so often in just her birthday suit in quite some time, and with none of that ridiculous steam or similar obscuration effects you see in most ecchi shows. While these scenes obviously contain a component of fanservice, Fujiko's use of her body and her sexuality are integral to the story.

And then there was that one credits shot that was cut out of the US credits for the "classic" Series 2--Apparently, Fujiko has defensive anti-Lupin traps hidden everywhere... Shocked
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Or maybe I should mention the bread robot?

Yep, that would be mine, assuming you're talking about the one from Humanity Has Declined. (If there were another show with a bread robot in it, I would have to drop everything and watch it, naturally.) I knew from the previews that he was going to show up, but I jumped when he spoiler[ripped himself open and started bleeding everywhere.] But I did get a pretty good laugh out of it! Laughing
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I'd just say Lupin III/Mine Fujiko full stop. I was new to Lupin when i started watching, its got what most would deem unnecessary and excessive amounts of nudity, the art style is completely different from anything you'd see these days and its an older franchise that most people wouldn't be interested in.

Despite all that i think its one of the best series of the year. Completely out of the blue as far as i was concerned.
-->The art may be different but within the series i think it worked great.
-->There may have been lots of nudity but it works well within the series. Its just that kinda series, the whole sexy side of thievery is what this series is about, sexy women, expensive jewels, valuable art etc. so it only makes sense to show off Mine's body to add to that whole effect.
-->It showed how an older franchise can still compete with all the new series and franchises coming out these days.
-->and it was more of a proper adult-orientated series, no whiny teens etc, not too many series aimed at adults these days

definitely a surprise in my books, one i hope and pray will get brought over here so i can buy it
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I didn't find it that surprising. Considering the circumstances I kind of felt it coming.

For me perhaps when in Xam'd: Lost Memories spoiler[Furuichi Teraoka decapitates himself]. It was just so sudden and instantaneous and there was no way to prepare for it.

That one I saw coming, the first one not so much.

Biggest surprise for me: Accel World. spoiler[ Black Lotus makes her feelings for the main character known just before she almost became a victim of vehicular homicide; I expected the accident/attack, I didn't expect her honest feelings to come out.]

Second: Is This a Zombie of the Dead?. Sarasvarti. Her character didn't quite get complex but her interests broadened.

Third, just for the hell of it: Same. Chris. Really, there's no way you'd see that one coming.

Why did I list three? Because there's not enough comedy surprises in anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Biggest surprise for me: Accel World. spoiler[ Black Lotus makes her feelings for the main character known just before she almost became a victim of vehicular homicide; I expected the accident/attack, I didn't expect her honest feelings to come out.]

Second: Is This a Zombie of the Dead?. Sarasvarti. Her character didn't quite get complex but her interests broadened.

Third, just for the hell of it: Same. Chris. Really, there's no way you'd see that one coming.

Why did I list three? Because there's not enough comedy surprises in anime.

Oh yes there was some bit of a surprise from the reveal of Chris, I just wish that they did more foreshadowing.

And for Accel World, did not think that they would go that far, how did I forget that seen. Actually now that I think about it, SAO first episode does not seem so out of character with it's connection with Accel World.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I'd just say Lupin III/Mine Fujiko full stop. I was new to Lupin when i started watching, its got what most would deem unnecessary and excessive amounts of nudity, the art style is completely different from anything you'd see these days and its an older franchise that most people wouldn't be interested in.

Despite all that i think its one of the best series of the year. Completely out of the blue as far as i was concerned.
-->The art may be different but within the series i think it worked great.
-->There may have been lots of nudity but it works well within the series. Its just that kinda series, the whole sexy side of thievery is what this series is about, sexy women, expensive jewels, valuable art etc. so it only makes sense to show off Mine's body to add to that whole effect.
-->It showed how an older franchise can still compete with all the new series and franchises coming out these days.
-->and it was more of a proper adult-orientated series, no whiny teens etc, not too many series aimed at adults these days

definitely a surprise in my books, one i hope and pray will get brought over here so i can buy it

I'm only half way though the show, but I'm so glad to see something out there for adults for once. Really was a breath of fresh air and still gives me hope that there is still good smart creative people working in the anime industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this counts as anime but I count it as an anime. The final episode of Legend of Korra whenspoiler[ Tarlock did Murder Suicide with Amon,] that shocked me to death, also when spoiler[Amon not only turned out to be a bender but was also Tarlocks brother] that was very suprising as well.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. - Key]
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan, you really need to add spoiler tags to your post.

Durarara!! is the series that has surprised me the most. It had multiple big reveals and I was blindsided by each one. I never would have thought that spoiler[our three seemingly innocent leads all had such big secrets].
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
This has become my new biggest surprise.
spoiler[This picture is from an old sub from the end of episode 10 of Sai Kano.]. I remember how the series ended, and it was a big surprise finding a group that would give a disclaimer about the tone change of a series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote

I dare say that such a warning isn't necessary. Given the circumstance it contrives, SaiKano is almost as upbeat as it conceivably could be. Though quite overt, its culminating theme helps to assuage our more grievous reactions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2