• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is the ending of Gurren Lagann so sad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Now, if it was an up/down/up cycle or a down/up cycle then I'd have no issue with it.

Ridiculous.
What the hell are you talking about. Unless you are emotionally illiterate then the entirety of GL falls under your up/down/up cycle. Anyone that has seen the series will be able to confirm that it is not a complete up ride.
I am not even going to include specific events or spoilers. Maybe you were having pee breaks during some of the GL episodes, you missed a lot and it shows.

If you'd bothered to look at my rating for the series you'd already know that I didn't rate it that badly at all. It's only the ending that sucks not the whole series. Mostly because it has good points to make up for it's bad points. And no spoiler[Nia is not alive at the end so it does not end on a happy note for me at least.] It's not a bad series but there's better series out there.

Quote:
You want happy for the sake of happy. Sorry to disappoint those kind of endings lack substance. Many shows want to offer an ending that has something to reflect on and be memorable. If the only ending that qualifies as a good ending for you is a happy one then learn your lesson and stay away from Gainax. Also watch all you anime in reverse starting from the final episode so that everyone who dies comes back to life and babies return to Heaven waiting to be born.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in my opinion Gurren Lagann is not a series you watch if you want "substance". It's a series you watch when you want to see mecha smash things and fanservice. Laughing

Substance to me is seriousness, something emotionally profound. or deeply psychologically or philosophically stimulating. Substance is things like Haibane Renmei, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Gunslinger Girl. I loved all of those and they're not entirely happy. I like all sorts of series, but according to my set of rules, which apparently are different from yours. Anyhow, seeing as how you're becoming irrational, there's nothing more that I need to say, and it's like trying to talk to a brick wall, I'm ending this discussion.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Here is the fun thing about substance; It can sneak in anywhere. A series does not need to be heavily dramatic in order for it to add in some substance. Apparently GL was written deeper then mechaSMASH and fanserive, hence the ending.
Well not just the ending. GL not just being an average mechaSMASH anime was evident pretty early on.

My mentioning of the whole series was because of you saying it is okay for shows to have up/down/up emotional cycles but for some reason you are ignorant to the up/down/up cycle in GL.

Correct, I have no rule stating any given anime has to end a certain way per genre.

So I still conclude you should learn from this and not watch Gainax stuff and/or watch the final episodes to make sure they live up to your ridiculous happiness index.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Well I am not following that logic train. Paraphrasing, waxing poetic, rhetorically,...whatever. It is a work of fiction that is completely chosen by the writer. There is no ending to a fictional work that has to be any given way.

I replied to your initial post about not finding the internal explanation about Nia and Anti-spirals. I am not able to explain the fact that writers have creative control over their stories from beginning to end. Or for whatever reason in the case of GL Kazuki Nakashima thought this ending would be better than an ending with complete happiness. This ending isn't even that sad.

I'm not sure what makes you think you need to explain to me that writers have creative control over their works? Didn't I just get through saying that they did? And did I say that the ending would've been better if it'd been one of "complete happiness"? Nope. It didn't end well for Yuko, either, but I didn't comment about that. I only commented about Nia and Simon's outcome; I was fine with the rest of it.

You act like I'm asking you, or the writers in general, to JUSTIFY their decisions. I'm not. I'm saying that I would've liked it more if they had chosen differently. It's an opinion -- my opinion -- not some statement of fact that everyone has to agree with or be Wrong. You clearly feel differently about the ending than I do, and that's fine, too. Just remember that even if you don't think the ending was that sad, not everyone feels the same way about it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
I am not explaining creative right to you. You repeated your stance on feeling the writers somehow gave the shaft to Simon. So I repeated my point that the writers are not obligated to make endings where every character is 100% happy.

Saying that the writer gave the shaft to one of their characters is one hell of an opinion. It is no fact or plea for justification but since it is so strong it can be seen as a accusation, not just opinion.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am not explaining creative right to you. You repeated your stance on feeling the writers somehow gave the shaft to Simon. So I repeated my point that the writers are not obligated to make endings where every character is 100% happy.

You are correct there is nothing to stop them from producing endless shows where they prop up an ending with needless drama and angst by spoiler[scything away characters at the last minute.] There is also nothing to stop them from making all the atoms in the final GL from spontaneously rearranging into the form of a giant platypus. If they did that I think you would be complaining right?

spoiler[
By the time the final battle rolled round plenty of sacrifices had been made it was not necessary in my opinion to leave Simon a rather lost lonely man at the end of it. And I am not alone in this opinion.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked Simon to live a hapy life aswell, I felt a bit depressed after watching the end. I tried to find some justification of why they thought it had to be done, you know the only thing I can think of is possibly some of his final words.

We were told that he is "Simon the digger", that is all he was, and their is some other meanings to this. Simon's whole life and purpose was digging, but it was not just digging through dirt either, he dug through many obstacles, and the goal was freedom. Was digging just for his own benifet, no it was for all of the others that were stuck bellow, as he was the one who would lead them up. You could go along the lines Nia is like the representive of his love of continueing up, a possible goal. The true tragedy though is once you really break through have but a fleeting moment that you gain what you searched for (the moment of breaking to the surface), then you are no one, your job is over, what is left is left to others.

It could be applied to many scenarios, for example say a soldeir who longs for the victory of the war, truth is they have but a moment of the victory, what is victory without the war, then they are but no one. It might sound harsh and unnecesary, but perhaps Gurren Lagann has a message to never forget what others did for us to reach the top, the goal they fought for, and did they get the reward they deserved.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Saying that the writer gave the shaft to one of their characters is one hell of an opinion. It is no fact or plea for justification but since it is so strong it can be seen as a accusation, not just opinion.

Well, there's nothing that says your opinions can't be accusatory. You're right that I am making an accusation and believe that the creators did wrong by Simon. But that's just MY opinion, and I don't want people to think that I expect everyone to agree with it. Some will and some won't.

To comment about the sadness the OP asked about: I think the sort of people who find the ending to be sad are ones that feel that Simon and Nia had done enough to earn themselves a happy ending, but were denied it. I think it says a lot about the series that a lot of folks were so emotionally invested in Simon (and Nia) that the ending affected them as strongly as it did.
bretth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind the ending except i sent the whole series waiting for Simon and Yoko to hook up, well, the latter half when the age difference isn't so apparent. I really could have settled with just a hint of it like him talking to that little kid on the island where she was a teacher but alas stuck with him and Nia.(I really didn't like her she was too dependent and childish.)

Although the rest of the ending was great gotta love a giant that can play frisbee with a galaxy.

pardon any spelling or grammer errors.

-me
anigu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
The ending was quite satisfactory although some may feel it's sad. What struck me the most was Simon who chose to wander around the world like a nameless old man. Made it feels like he's a "hero who's no longer needed in a peaceful world".
Ropen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
bretth wrote:
I didn't mind the ending except i sent the whole series waiting for Simon and Yoko to hook up, well, the latter half when the age difference isn't so apparent.

There is no age difference. Simon and Yoko are the same age. I'm actually glad Simon moved on following him seeing Yoko kiss Kamina, it showed how he's managed to grow up and actually be with someone that shares his feelings.

I pretty much agree with everything ArsenicSteel said.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ropen wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything ArsenicSteel said.

Ditto.

Though I must admit that I found it kinda hilarious that Simon effectively decided to let the next generation take over and spend the rest of his life as a lonely wanderer when he was actually just 21 years old. But I guess anime years are just like dog years... Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Because GAINAX IS A GIANT COCKTEASE. Twisted Evil

I mean, they really are. The only series they've done where I didn't feel like I was being trolled was Petite Princess Yucie

Real answer: It was to show how much stronger Simon had become as compared to when spoiler[Kamina died.]

But I say "FACK THAT. spoiler[BRING NIA BACK. RAWR."]

Quote:
Simon and Yoko are the same age.

This is a misconception spread all over the internet. Her profile states "she's in the same age group as Simon." Which you can see here:
http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/gurren-lagann/chara_old.html#
The kanji used was 同年代, meaning "same era". So for example, if a kid was born in 1990, and another kid was born in 1998, this would be regarded as "the same age group/era (90s)."
Simon is a teenager. So is Yoko. Which means Simon is 14 but Yoko could be 17, 18, or 19, for all we know.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But I say "FACK THAT. spoiler[BRING NIA BACK. RAWR."]
Drills can't fill in holes. There's apparently also something about that possibly getting the universe OM NOM NOMed.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Because GAINAX IS A GIANT COCKTEASE. Twisted Evil

I mean, they really are. The only series they've done where I didn't feel like I was being trolled was Petite Princess Yucie

I take it you haven't seen Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, then?
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Just a sec. Sorry in advance for this comment. I didn't read anything in this topic because I don't want to know anything about a show I haven't watched, but the topic title has somehow already spoiled me Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4