• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore - wait, I thought this was supposed to be good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archer90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
i think its simple i liked claymore but i herd no hype for it i think thats what killed it for you
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(Even if you did intend it as a joke, John Casey, that was the kind of comment that's only going to stir things up.)

Oh yeah!? OH YEAH!? What if it wasn't a joke!? HMM!? What if I WAS TRYING TO RILE PEOPLE UP!? WHAT THEN!?!? WHAT THEEEEEN!?!

...You'd prolly, like, ban me. :/ Yes, it was indeed a humorous black joke intended to illicit a spurt of rational thinking that involves irrational behavior and methods. I'm controversial like that.

Back on topic, sort of. Again, I never bashed Claymore, and I didn't even see it. I just felt that all this hate-mongering was spoiling potential motivation I've had in watching it. Next thing that happened? It turned into a bitch-slap-fest, kinda, of a sort. Comparing it to Inuyasha certainly didn't help.

In any case, just cause of the nonsense that went down in this thread, I'll force myself to start watching it tonight. Then we'll see whose "opinions were right and wrong." That's how John Casey solves problems.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
My problem was your sidelining of other people who have an ideology you don't like. There was a lot of irony to that statement, perhaps purposefully so.. or I guess I'd like to think so.

Anyway, on the topic of Claymore itself I would probably say that if Shonen tropes annoy you it's significantly less likely that you'll like it, I don't agree with the comparison to Inuyasha, it's much shorter and so doesn't have a lot of time to get lost in the way that show does.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
[...]
Back on topic, sort of. Again, I never bashed Claymore, and I didn't even see it. I just felt that all this hate-mongering was spoiling potential motivation I've had in watching it. Next thing that happened? It turned into a bitch-slap-fest, kinda, of a sort. Comparing it to Inuyasha certainly didn't help.
[...]

Context is important: When I said, "Hell, Inuyasha is even worse!" I was explicitly referring to a previous comment; that poster had made reference to expositions during battle. My INTENT was to convey the idea that its usage in Claymore was nowhere as EXTREME as it is with Inuyasha.*

Personally, I recommend Claymore: The weakest points (in my opinion, anyway) are the shortcuts used in the battle sequences -- hence the expositions -- and the ending; which really does cry out for a second season.

*Please note that I don't know if this criticism also applies to Inuyasha: The Final Act as I haven't seen it (I'm assuming that Cartoon Network will broadcast it early next year).
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
fyi what happened here is simple...just read people. Only read because wanted to see racist joke (got deleted tho). Not like we don't have any of those here Very Happy

Anyway John Casey is WRONG and he's just covering his ass. He admits to not watching Claymore. He compares the show to Inuyasha saying, "If it is like Inuyasha it sucks. If Claymore can even be compared in anyway to Inuyasha, it sucks." Then, he agrees w/ another person's reason for why Claymore sucks.

Translation:
John inadvertently said Claymore sucks despite the fact he has never watched it. His reason for whyClaymore sucks is solely based upon all the feedback he's reading in this thread.

What was so hard to figure out?

People later then accuse him of jargon (which it is), and he replies with the typical rebuttal you often see here, "You illiterate asshole, that's not what I wrote." However, what people are criticizing John of IS about what he wrote. Logically speaking, John has no right to criticize something he has never seen before. FYI, heavily criticizing something is the same as bashing. You confuse readers when you lie about not criticizing Claymore/ using Inuyasha as a tool to deceive people.
Anyhow, you have yet to answer the question your critics asked, "Why do YOU dislike Claymore?" After you watch it then this issue will be resolved as you have said.

Anyway best post in thread was:
Quote:
Did you really have to create a post saying how much Claymore sucked for you?
Think about it

Should really think about it. face in the watevr said show sucks. Apparently, the ANN community says the show doesn't suck. It's just average. Exactly how many times you want to read that same message?

Just how I interpret this mess. Can quote if you want. Really is quite obvious what happened here.
face in the windowpane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I know I said I was done with this thread, but imagine my surprise coming home from a week long vacation and seeing this thread on the front page.

I was going to let this:

John Casey wrote:
poilk92 wrote: "It seems silly that to defend claymore alot of people have to make excuses for it."

...You're right! =_= Why ARE people making excuses for this show...

I mean...it's like...the Kingdom Hearts fanbase all over again. ...Polish a turd, and all you get is a shiny turd. :/

pass. John accused me of not reading his posts, and at first, I felt compelled to point out his wrongness on the matter using the above quote. But after hitting the reply button, I considered his childish reaction, how blatantly self-evident his mistake was, and that I had said I was done with the thread. I felt at peace with just letting it go.

Then I come back from my vacation to find this:

John Casey wrote:
Sorry, but I just have this really low tolerance for people not taking the time to even bother to read shit before they go on making accusations. :/ [EDIT: Inflammatory political comment removed. - Key]

Fact is, I never bashed Claymore. I never even saw it! Man, we need to stress reading comprehension in schools these days... Then again, back in my grade school days, I also kind of hated it... They always asked you all this unnecessary shit, which when you look in hindsight, doesn't have anything to do with what you just read...

Sorry, but I did read your "shit."

You know what, John? I haven't been on these forums for very long, but I've seen you tell other posters "point = lost" in a dismissive fashion a few times already. If you have to use this proclamation so often, you should perhaps consider that you have a problem getting your point across clearly, and that you should work on that problem.

During my absence, I was also accused (by wcsinn) of not being able to make the distinction between things I don't like and things that are bad. I would like to point out that I had little experience with the anime action genre. I had made that clear. After being told that many of my complaints were genre staples that people expect and want, I stopped complaining about them. I also recommended that John watch Claymore after he said that he has no problems with these staples. Tell me, does that really sound like somebody who thinks of their own opinions as objective truth?

Tuor_of_Gondolin. Thanks for going through the trouble of watching the fight. I won't be watching it again, but I trust that your account is accurate, and concede that I was wrong.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
@ face in the windowpane

I know you're "done" with this thread but i'll post this anyway cause I'm bored. Honestly there's nothing wrong with posting about disliking a show. The thing is though you did it in a pretty bold way (refering to the title of your topic) so I think it's rather natural to expect some of the responses you gotten. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but honestly when you do that you're just ASKING for people to prove you wrong.

I think one of the other things was that some people didn't agree with some of your statements and tried to make rational and calm responses. Heck I made the same exact arguement Tuor made before you never responded.

Even if people disagree with you who cares. We do it all the time in series discussions.
face in the windowpane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Heck I made the same exact arguement Tuor made before you never responded.

I responded to you in page two. In page three, you started citing what happens during that fight in the manga. Sorry, but we weren't talking about the manga, so I ignored that post.

Either way, Tuor's account was very thorough. Not to slight you, but his/her post was much more convincing because of that.

I agree with you about the topic title. I was asking for trouble. 50 bucks is a lot of money to blow, so maybe you can understand how I would be frustrated so much as to make that mistake?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
face in the windowpane wrote:
I agree with you about the topic title. I was asking for trouble. 50 bucks is a lot of money to blow, so maybe you can understand how I would be frustrated so much as to make that mistake?

May I suggest either Netflix or RentAnime?
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
@Face - I dunno if you're aware but the anime is based off of the manga. Except for the ending and some of the placements of the arcs, everything is exactly the same. So I was using the manga as a reference because I do not own the anime or have it in any form to rewatch the fight. I was fully aware we were talking about the anime. The fight in question is exactly the same as the manga, hence my reference of it.

Yes Tuor's account was much more thorough than mine, I was trying to provide a quick response.

Either way it's not important. The same point was made when you commented to Tuor and I acknowledge how you agreed with my title point.

I can understand your frusteration with the money as well, Claymore is a rather expensive purchase. I mean I know that's about the right price for 26 episodes but you can buy a lot of other stuff for that money. It's also hard to say to you that you should be more careful with your money since a lot of people recommend Claymore. If I were you though be careful blind buying, everyone has different tastes and opinions. Perhaps streaming would be more beneficial for you?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
We're not really going to start complaining about how $50 is a lot of money for 26 episodes, are we?

No, we're not going there.

I will add, though, that this is one of the backfires to the trend of heading almost exclusively towards seasonal sets, though. Back when singles were the primary release format, a simple $20 investment (in some cases less) was enough to figure out if the series was worth pursuing or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I should have reclarified what I meant by "a lot". Yes $60 is probably the right price of what you're going to pay for a 26 episode series so you could even argue to call Claymore cheap.

I simply said it was a lot because that's the highest amount you're going to pay for a series (on average) and many times you can get it cheaper on sale etc. Plus if you're newer to anime $50 is a hefty blind buy when you have so many other options from AnimeLegends , Viridian/SAVE editions, and so forth.

I'm also biased in the sense I've already seen Claymore and do not have a strong desire yet to own it, so $50 is a lot to me to buy it, although I will eventually get it.

PS - Please note I'm not in anyway saying $50 is not WORTH 26 episodes.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:

Anyway John Casey is WRONG and he's just covering his ass. He admits to not watching Claymore. He compares the show to Inuyasha saying, "If it is like Inuyasha it sucks. If Claymore can even be compared in anyway to Inuyasha, it sucks." Then, he agrees w/ another person's reason for why Claymore sucks.

Translation:
John inadvertently said Claymore sucks despite the fact he has never watched it. His reason for whyClaymore sucks is solely based upon all the feedback he's reading in this thread.

What was so hard to figure out?

People later then accuse him of jargon (which it is), and he replies with the typical rebuttal you often see here, "You illiterate not-so-nice-person, that's not what I wrote." However, what people are criticizing John of IS about what he wrote. Logically speaking, John has no right to criticize something he has never seen before. FYI, heavily criticizing something is the same as bashing. You confuse readers when you lie about not criticizing Claymore/ using Inuyasha as a tool to deceive people.
Anyhow, you have yet to answer the question your critics asked, "Why do YOU dislike Claymore?" After you watch it then this issue will be resolved as you have said.

I had better not be banned, warned, or anything for saying this...but my only response to that...?

...That is some retarded-ass bullshit. :/ I have absolutely no idea where you got this whole analytical aspect from, but John Casey says you need to stop mixing peyote and magic mushrooms together, cause it's making you say some stupid bullshit.

People took what I said way out of context here. Misinterpreted would be putting it lightly. Assumptions, and jumping to conclusions would just about cover it. But you're the king, sir. The king.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I watched Claymore. Thought it was pretty good.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I watched Claymore. Thought it was pretty good.

Godfuckingdammit! Best response ever. Thank you.

No bullshit here. No overanalysis. No assumptions of John Casey hating the show, even though he hasn't seen it and has no idea what the hell it is about, but is secretly a closeted InuYasha fan, or some crap like that.

Your response. Let's hug it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6