• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you have an anime itch that isn't being scratched enough lately?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I've thought of another one:

An anime that features an atmospheric metal soundtrack, but doesn't feel the need to be stereotypically macho in a vain effort to match it. There are so many other moods in metal in general these days. It would be awesome to hear more obscure sounds, but not necessarily to the point of extremity (much as I do enjoy extreme metal). Something that doesn't draw too much from the underground, but isn't so obviously made to be easily consumable either.

Something like this, for example. It's instrumental, it's experimental, it hits hard, it has plenty of restrained interlude when it needs to have it, it's dynamic, it's atmospheric, and it's perfect for a climactic action scene, or series of scenes. It's also an amazing song on its own merits. Very Happy But I digress. Something like that in place of all the J-Pop and b-movie classical soundtrack music. I don't care whether the performing musical act is Japanese or not.

...I could also go for a post-rock soundtrack. Something like Caspian or The Chant, maybe. :3

Last edited by Gatherum on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd like more "takes themselves seriously high fantasy, no fourth walling, no hijinks, no JRPG", but that's actually an exceedingly rare thing in all of anime. I can only name a few that would even kind of fall into that category, so it's not a problem of the big bad evil current industry, but of what Japanese tastes in general have always been. What surfaces to the mind immediately would be Lodoss, its spinoffs, and Weathering Continent. Hell, most of what could actually fall into that category would be the fantasy hentai that keep getting produced.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
So, something like Final Fantasy (XII, XIII?) without the JRPG, and styled in such a way that it doesn't look camp in an anime production, maybe?

I would jizz buckets if they made something out of Final Fantasy XII and did it right.
dlm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I've thought of another one:

An anime that features an atmospheric metal soundtrack, but doesn't feel the need to be stereotypically macho in a vain effort to match it.

One of the things I liked about Railgun was one of the bits of background music.

I liked it enough that I hunted for it. It's called Searcher. It's surprisingly metal for the series.

(raise hands - who was shocked by the screamo OP in WataMote? or the dubstep in [b]Brynhildr[b]?)
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
(raise hands - who was shocked by the screamo OP in WataMote? or the dubstep in Brynhildr?)

*Raises Hand* Watamote surprised me. It was relatively straightforward modern metalcore, but it was enjoyable, and fit well with an OP that served as a good metaphor and introduction to Tomoko's mental state.

I was less enthusiastic about Brynhildr's dubstep because the telltale "wubs" felt tacked on to a song that was otherwise perfectly fine without them. Didn't ruin the OP, at least, since the OP itself was already one of my least favourite in anime, being comprised of what honestly looked like unused leftover footage from the anime haphazardly spliced together.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
More anime like Clannad and Itazura na Kiss where (I guess I will put this in spoilers) spoiler[they actually show what happens to a duo after they become a couple.] So many shows either end with nothing happening or they become a couple in the last episode...
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The main couple in Kare Kano get together pretty quickly, although the anime only covers about 6 volumes of 21.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
For a while now I have really been itching for some good Science Fiction anime. To clarify, Sci-Fi without mechs. There's still plenty of Gundam titles pumped out all the time, and other shows with Sci-Fi elements. Most though have some sort of mech component to it. If you take those away there's only a handful that are more Sci-Fi heavy that have been released in recent years. I'm also excluding isekai titles. While that element could be considered Sci-Fi they are pretty much all fantasy based at the core.

In terms of tv series I think the 2 best for me in recent years that qualify for what I'm looking for would be Steins Gate and Erased. Steins Gate to me was a mix of Sci-Fi (time travel elements) and Suspense. The Science Fiction elements though were part of the core of the story. Not just a simple filler component. Erased might be a bit more of a stretch, but to me it scratched that same itch that Steins Gate did. Almost a Steins Gate light in some aspects.

I definitely have an itch for some bloody, over the top, 80's/early 90's feel anime. That sort of visceral and bloody action with heads exploding and explosions everywhere. Something like Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, or Wicked City. There are some violent and bloody shows made today, but I find most have too much of a "slick" look to them. They're almost too pretty or too well animated. They lack that more gritty visceral feel to them. I figure though those sort of shows are of a by-gone era I am not likely to see again.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I keep searching for anime where one of the characters is targeted for some reason (i.e spoiler[Eren]), but can't seem to find those I'd like
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101's post brought some memories... Ninja Scroll- and then Vampire Hunter D (still can't believe they have not remade any of the other books into films/series... Although that sort of got satisfied for me with Blade of the Immortal (2019).

Now my biggest thing I miss are the post-apocaliptic, serious shows for slightly older audience. Ihave been out of touch with anime for a few years now really and not around forums, if I watch one or two titles per year I'm lucky- just no time with two kids now lol.
But, I do try to read through premises of shows every season and while there seem to be some excellent shows, nonw in the vein of what I am looking for.
I know Texhnolyze didn't have many fans, but I really loved it and the dark, gloomy mood around it. Shows in the caliber of Wolf's Rain do not seem to be happening either. Ergo Proxy, Noein, Now and Then, Here and There, I find myself rewatching old stuff really.

I suppose I also miss big fun and sad at the same time adventures like FMA (with Brotherhood), Eureka 7 and Last Exile- the two latter did have horribly bad continuations, and still that was years ago. And stuff only the Late Satoshi Kon would pull of, like Paranoia Agent, crazy, mental stuff. Or weird fantastic stuff like Kaiba.

In a way, I wish I could go back in time and just enjoy it again. Maybe I'm just too old for this Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Now my biggest thing I miss are the post-apocaliptic, serious shows for slightly older audience.

Despite the deformed, cutesy character models, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour") is in fact a serious, mature show set in a post-apocalyptic world.

I want more shows with adults facing adult issues. Sure, there have never been many shows like Bartender or Hataraki Man or NHK ni Youkoso!, but they seem even more rare today. In general anime seems to have been "dumbed down" over the past couple of decades while I've been watching. I can still watch and enjoy shows with teens like Nozaki-kun, Major 2nd, or Eizouken, but shows like Golden Kamuy remain rare birds.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I definitely have an itch for some bloody, over the top, 80's/early 90's feel anime. That sort of visceral and bloody action with heads exploding and explosions everywhere. Something like Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, or Wicked City. There are some violent and bloody shows made today, but I find most have too much of a "slick" look to them. They're almost too pretty or too well animated. They lack that more gritty visceral feel to them. I figure though those sort of shows are of a by-gone era I am not likely to see again.

I feel the same, though in my case it's the cyberpunk shows of that era like Bubblegum Crisis, AD Police, Cyber City Oedo 808, and so on. There have been later shows in a similar vein: Bubblegum Crisis and AD police both got reboots in the early 2000s but they completely lacked the gritty feel of the originals. Psycho-Pass was great on its own merits but it too was too clean and colorful to have the same Blade Runner and Streets of Fire sort of feel that the 80's/90's shows did.

One exception though: 3x3 Eyes. Man I wish they made more of that, and it's a bit puzzling to me why they didn't as the manga was extremely popular.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Now my biggest thing I miss are the post-apocaliptic, serious shows for slightly older audience.

Despite the deformed, cutesy character models, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour") is in fact a serious, mature show set in a post-apocalyptic world.

I want more shows with adults facing adult issues. Sure, there have never been many shows like Bartender or Hataraki Man or NHK ni Youkoso!, but they seem even more rare today. In general anime seems to have been "dumbed down" over the past couple of decades while I've been watching. I can still watch and enjoy shows with teens like Nozaki-kun, Major 2nd, or Eizouken, but shows like Golden Kamuy remain rare birds.

Thank you, I'll look it up!

Agree with you about the adult/more serious themes. I recently remembered FLAG, and how good that was. Also, the older I get, the less appealing are titles with teenage characters. I didn't mind at university and into my late 20s, but now I am just not really into shows with 14 year olds. It would have to be something really good to get me into it, hence the reason why I rarely watch anime these days.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo stuff not getting enough recognition. There are some fantastic emotional and healing shows out there that are overlooked in favor of standard shounen formulas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Mecha anime. It was the genre that originally attracted me to anime and was quite prevalent during the 70s to 90s, but started dropping off in the past twenty years or so and are pretty scarce today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5