• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mature / Adult (non-Hentai) Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
What you're essentially looking for is Seinen anime (for 18+ men) or Josei (aimed at 18+ women).

Off my list and starting with A, I'd recommend:

Aquarian Age-Sign for Evolution- (supernatural, action, romance, drama) The lead singer of a popular underground rock group begins seeing visions of strange women battling in the streets. He soon finds out they are real as he and his girlfriend get dragged into a war between 5 different supernatural factions.

Aquatic Language- (science fiction, slice of life) A short from the creators of Time of Eve which revolves around a cafe where several groups of people are engaged in different conversations but begin to notice strange things.

Armored Trooper Votoms- (science fiction, mecha) A classic tale of what happens to people on covert missions who end up knowing to much. Now Chirico is on the run, and fighting to survive after discovering a classified secret project that many different factions in the universe will kill to get their hands on, a woman named Fyana. However, Chirico is definitely no average soldier and will not go down easy.

Armor Hunter Mellowlink- (science fiction, mecha) Revolves around a lone ex-military soldier who uses guerrilla tactics and an anti-tank rifle to take revenge on the squad of mecha pilots who killed his friends. Spinoff of Votoms.
Lost_Obscurity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
What you're essentially looking for is Seinen anime (for 18+ men) or Josei (aimed at 18+ women).

Well... yes and no (sorry for being unclear). By technicality, yes, absolutely, BINGO, seinen and josei anime is what this list is going to be mostly comprised of. I've just generally avoided demographics because... they can be murky. Generally, an anime that is told with complexity is what should be on here as criterion. Take, let's say, something like FMA that has political deceit, genocide, and for the original, a spoiler[connection between the world of Ed and Al and the world during WWII with the nazis]. Something like that most definitely belongs on the list, despite the shonen demographic. The same could be said of Death Note with its challenge to viewing life in terms of black and white. Again, sorry for being unclear, but it is as such. Though, also again, you're not wrong and the recs are spot on, so thank you. And especially the Aqautic Language one. I'm a fan of Yasuhiro Yoshiura's work with RIKKA and am surprised that I overlooked it.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I think I'll add a few of my own.

Cowboy Bebop: This is the story of four very different people who live the lives of bounty hunters in a future where humanity has fled to the stars after our home planet becomes a backwater hell. Most of the show follows our protagonists as they track down bounty heads and deal with their own murky pasts. What I found most fascinating was the general theme of "You can't go home again", as each of the four main leads is placed in a situation where they can never go back to their old lives. How the end up depends on how they deal with their problems and how well they can move on. They don't call this anime a masterpiece for nothing.

FLCL: What I like most about this OVA is it's unique approach to the coming-of-age story that only Gainax could tell. Rather than go through the logistics of growing up, it focuses more on the emotions of going through puberty and adolescence. You're confused, sometimes scared, and often times, you feel as if you've lost control of your life. In the end, though, it's a relatively short period of your life and you make it out okay. I can't say you'd enjoy it, but I would recommend every anime fan watch this at some point, just to say they have.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: This anime is a lot of things. On the one hand, it's the coming-of-age story of a girl forced to watch horrible things happen to her friends and trying to put an end to the cruelty of the system they're trapped in. For a few episodes, it's about another girl's struggle to bring justice to a twisted world, only for her own sanity to fall apart when she realizes she won't be appreciated or rewarded for her hard work. Finally, it's the story of a third girl's struggle to be with the one she loves, even though they are destined to never be together. Tying it all up is the seemingly benevolent Kyubey, who makes Faustian contracts with young girls who aren't mature enough to think things through when making their own selfish wishes. I don't expect less from Gen Urobuchi.

That's all I have for now. I'd recommend more, but...

A) Someone else beat me to it
B) I'm not finished with a lot of anime I'd recommend
C) I haven't actually seen a few anime I'd recommend

I'll probably come back when I finish a few more titles.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Um... If you haven't seen them, how are you supposed to know if you'd recommend them or not?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Um... If you haven't seen them, how are you supposed to know if you'd recommend them or not?

Let me explain; I've heard that stuff like, say Wolf's Rain, every Satoshi Kon movie, and Mawaru Penguindrum got very positive reviews from anime critics. I can't recommend them because it would be hypocritical of me to gush over something I myself have not seen fully. I'm definitely watching the first anime, and everything else mentioned above range from "Sure!" to "Maaaaaayybeeee...". Until I see them, I won't comment on whether or not they live up to expectations.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you'd like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as that's pretty mature.
Lost_Obscurity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Perhaps you'd like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as that's pretty mature.

This guy...

Last edited by Lost_Obscurity on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Have some possibilities:

Koi Kaze- A seinen title quite notable for its focus on the developing taboo relationship that a 28-year old wedding consultant has with his long-lost 15-year old younger sister.

Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners- Violent fantasy action/drama movie series focused on a young woman named Shiki Ryougi who possesses an ability called the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception that allow her to see the lines of death of any person or thing that exists.

Gungrave- A sci-fi action-drama that explores how the friendship between career criminals Brandon Heat and Harry McDowell breaks apart during their time in a crime syndicate with one being killed by the other and coming back from the dead through a scientific experiment to get revenge on the syndicate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Here's a few I didn't see on the list:

Bartender - A mystically intuitive bartender conjures up the correct alcoholic concotions to soothe his patrons' worried souls. Each episode tells a different story, and some of the patrons are well over fifty. Many episodes include vignettes from the history of liquor. A lovely jazz score by Ootake Kaoruku adds to the ambience of the show.

Hataraki Man - A magazine editor in her late twenties tries to establish her role as a professional woman while coping with the intense demands of the Japanese workplace and office patriarchy.

Seirei no Moribito - Uehashi Nahoko targeted this novel at teens and young adults, but most of the characters are adults, and the story is complex and mature. The heroine Balsa is a spear-wielding bodyguard about to turn thirty. She becomes the protector of a young prince facing assassination attempts.

Hyouge Mono features a "warrior-esthete" in the Sengoku period who begins as a vassal to Oda Nobunaga but then must navigate his way through the political minefield created by Nobunaga's assassination. Along the way he tries to collect masterpieces of pottery and metalworking associated with classical Japanese tea ceremonies.

Kuragehime - Five adult female otaku with obsessions ranging from trains, to older men, to jellyfish live in a house together. Their lives are disrupted by the arrival of a flamboyant personality.

Otona Joshi no Anime Time - This is an anthology of four award-winning stories by female Japanese authors. The protagonists range in age from the late twenties to the mid forties. The stories run the gamut from funny to bittersweet to disturbing.

Genji Monogatari Sennenki - Another story by a female Japanese writer, in this case the famous novel "Tale of Genji" by the Lady Murasaki. It was released on noitaminA in 2009 as part of the celebration of the thousandth anniversary of what is considered to be the first novel ever written.

Oh! Edo Rocket - A satirical farce focusing on political repression in the late Edo period. The male protagonist is a fireworks maker who can no longer legally ply his trade because of the ban on entertainment under the Tenpou Reforms. He nevertheless fires off the occasional test shot and tries to elude the police. One morning after such an adventure he returns home to find an unusual young woman waiting for him. She asks him to build her a rocket to the moon. The anime is adapted from a stage play by Nakashima Kazuki, who also wrote the scripts for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill.
ShiroKingyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Surprised no one's mentioned NANA-Komatsu Nana moves to Tokyo to join friends. On the train, she meets Osaki Nana, the vocalist of a Punk band, who is also moving there. The two girls end up becoming flat mates and together they support each other, while facing life.

Sounds like your typical slice-of-life anime but it deals with a lot of adult themes, has a lot of (surprisingly non-gratuitous) sex scenes, and has some of the most complexly written characters i've seen in an anime.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Came here to talk about Hataraki Man, discovered it had already been mentioned, hooray!

Mouryou no Hako was a mystery series revolving around a set of grotesque murders and a 'religious' cult. The crimes are investigated by a group of people led by 'Kyogokudo', a kind of consulting detective/priest/second-hand bookshop owner, there's a police detective haunted by his war experiences, and a journalist. It's a while since I've seen it.

The first episode was TOTALLY misleading as it gave most people the impression it was a sub-Maria-sama ga miteru type Yuri show, which it most certainly is NOT.

Like the aforementioned Hyouge Mono, it struggled to get a fansub and has never had (or likely to have) an official release. Which is a shame, as it's brilliant.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It's not out yet, but I'm assuming GARO will be mature. All of the tokusatsu have been mature (both in story and in graphical content), and I see no reason why the anime won't be.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...Looks like no one has mentioned Taiho Shichauzo - You're Under Arrest, an anime show that I finished watching yesterday (I'm now reading the manga version of it). It's a show starring two adult females working as police officers. Many episodes of the show is humorous slice-of-life, but there are some episodes that involve more serious issues of police work.

Then there's Ah! My Goddess, a show starring an unlucky college member and a goddess who's willing to grant any one [good] wish. It covers both slice-of-life and the supernatural.
If this is of any importance, this anime show is from the same person that made You're Under Arrest.
King_Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force - Chronicles an industrial nation's efforts to launch a man into space, with war with another nation looming on the horizon. Centers around a young male who enters the space program and comes of age during training for the launch.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Just finishing up the 2015 "updates" for the recommendation threads. So, since it is now (early) 2016, did 2015 present any good seinen/josei ("for mature audiences") anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3