• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mature / Adult (non-Hentai) Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SHIROBAKO follows a young woman and her four friends as they make their way into the anime industry. Since it is "anime-original" it doesn't have an official seinen or josei designation, though it probably would fall in the seinen category. In the first season Miyamori Aoi joins a small anime studio as a production assistant and works on an original story. In the second season she is promoted to "production desk" and helps manage an adaptation of a popular manga. The show has a nice mix of adult characters with a strong sense of humor. They'll need it because producing anime turns out to be incredibly demanding. My pick as the best show of 2014-2015.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I have a custom list that could help you a lot with this.

Anime (Sophisticated)

nobahn wrote:
Just finishing up the 2015 "updates" for the recommendation threads. So, since it is now (early) 2016, did 2015 present any good seinen/josei ("for mature audiences") anime?

Death Parade- Contemplates life, death, the afterlife and moral issues as newly dead people are forced to play a game of life or death against each other to determine the fate of their souls. However, is it about who wins or how you play the game that determines that fate and who, if anyone, is fit to judge over the human soul?

Snow White with the Red Hair- A talented female apothecary escapes an unpleasant future as the trophy bride to a royal in her own country and meets the prince of another nation. She decides to follow him and become a licensed court healer. What begins as a friendship between the Shirayuki the court pharmacist and prince Zen soon becomes something more.

Young Black Jack- Kuro Hazama (aka Black Jack) is a gifted medical student determined to be licensed as a doctor. However, he begins to question whether he really wants to a part of the medical world after becoming involved in several dark dealings and hospital politics.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Maturity is rather subjective.

Some anime titles classified as adult but populated by childlike characters include K-On!, Girls und Panzer, Hidamari Sketch and School Life! Some people familiar with anime might think these are not mature titles.

Also, I personally regard stuff like this more mature than your typical Satoshi Kon film, why? Because it requires the capacity of the viewer to feel secure of his capacity to see the world from the eyes of characters that are very different from themselves. Although in interviews with some authors of moe art they said that they would like to be little girls. I guess that's because of the (supposed) lack of stress, expectations and responsibility little girls have to bear.

By mature you mean featuring mature characters? Well that's a different conception from mine.

Finally, one shouldn't worry about enjoying stuff aimed at a different age or gender from your own. You said you wanted complex stuff, well, that's a very different thing. You are just asking for GOOD anime.

Some relatively complex anime titles aimed at small children include:

Heidi Girl of the Alps[ (1973-1974) - Aimed at 5 year olds this show, while pretty light children stuff for most of the time has many complex elements that differentiate it from typical kids shows, features Isao Takahara's genius direction and his skill is conveying sophisticated psychological elements through animation. Its art and animation is very dated but if you can handle it you should watch this old classic. Although my complaint was the lack of a interesting plot.

Conan Boy of the Future (1978) - Again aimed at small boys, this show, like Heidi features children and childlike behavior, however, it deals with environmental issues and features Miazaki's talent for storytelling, hence being an essential title for any self respecting anime fan. Its a classic for a reason and features a pretty complex plot and characters as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
I would like to throw Sound! Euphonium into the ring, assuming nobody else has already. Internet publications like to characterise it as some kind of yuri fanservice experience (sans ecchi), but it's really a lot more mature than that. Where K-On! was the modern pre-eminent example of CGDCT with a musical edge (that is not as meaningless to the cast as its detractors would insist, though that's a different discussion), Sound! Euphonium is a drama centring around a group of girls who really, truly wish to grow as musicians and go somewhere with their talents. I'd put it in the mature category for the way in which it deals with its subject matter, yuri included, and in spite of it taking place in high school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3