• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you like popular anime? Or just anime YOU think are good ones?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilahmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Many people only watch popular anime, even if they don't like it. Sure anime get popular because they're good but if it doesn't suit your taste don't watch it. If you only watch popular anime because all your friends are watching it and you want to look cool in front of them you don't have to. Anime is to enjoy watching not to look cool, so watch anime you like and then you can learn more and enjoy more about many anime! I prefer good anime but sometimes they're hard to find. So do you like good anime or ones that are popular?

Last edited by lilahmer on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the point in watching something popular that you hate.
Gundam IBO is all the rage now, me I dropped it after the second episode because of how sadistic the main character was. Don't regret dropping it. I simply don't give a rat's ass the rest of world is watching it and pontificating about its so-called virtues.

If I can't find an anime that piques my interest I don't watch anime. It's as simple as that. Sometimes there are months between one series and another that interests me. In the meantime I simply watch something else. There is no rule you have to watch anime every single season especially when 99,99% are cookie cutter stories.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
lilahmer wrote:
If you only watch popular anime because all your friends are watching it [...].

Isn't the term "popular anime" an oxymoron? IIRC, the numbers for [Adult Swim] are nothing to write home about.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
When an anime gets popular, it makes me curious to check it out to see if it's actually good. Sometimes the answer is yes. Sometimes it's no. But in general I do my own research about anime. My tastes are pretty different from others I know in person, so I generally can't rely on what someone I know says is good.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
I don't get the point in watching something popular that you hate.
Gundam IBO is all the rage now, me I dropped it after the second episode because of how sadistic the main character was. Don't regret dropping it. I simply don't give a rat's ass the rest of world is watching it and pontificating about its so-called virtues.

If I can't find an anime that piques my interest I don't watch anime. It's as simple as that. Sometimes there are months between one series and another that interests me. In the meantime I simply watch something else. There is no rule you have to watch anime every single season especially when 99,99% are cookie cutter stories.

This is my general approach, though I do tend to pick up at least one new series every season. Whether or not that series came out during that season, however, is a different story.

DJStarstryker wrote:
When an anime gets popular, it makes me curious to check it out to see if it's actually good. Sometimes the answer is yes. Sometimes it's no. But in general I do my own research about anime. My tastes are pretty different from others I know in person, so I generally can't rely on what someone I know says is good.

This as well, though I'm not really all that consistent. I eventually caved and tried K-On! in spite of avoiding it for years based on accusations of meaningless fluff and tea and cakes. I'm still getting through it. Attack on Titan, on the hand, is a work that damn near everybody swears by, yet I just can't bring myself to be interested in it. Maybe it's the concept; I dunno.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I watch everything of every genre. *shrug*

Sometimes I'll check out stuff that's popular to see why it's popular. But I make fan merchandise too...so it's good to see what sells.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I end up not liking most of what's considered popular: Cowboy Bebop, SAO, and AoT just to name a few. It's not that I have high expectations or buy into the hype. I can see why the shows are popular, but they don't do anything for me.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
If an anime is popular and is of genres that interest me I'll check it out. Other than that I could care less if what I watch is popular or not. Some anime I like are popular but others are not. I also have some unpopular opinions on what constitutes "good" anime (and a lot of other things) so I generally don't follow what is popular and considered "good". If I like it, I like it, if not then I don't, I don't need others to dictate what I should like. Razz
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I think your question is phrased badly.

I try anything that looks interesting. If I enjoy it I will continue watching. I have a fairly good idea of what appeals to me and avoid shows that are not my type. I certainly will not watch a show simply because it is popular.

On the other hand, I have enough sense to know that just because I like a show doesn't make it "good". I think everyone here has their own idea of what is "good". I really doubt you could put together a list of a dozen good shows without people fighting about some of your selections.

I watch what I enjoy, regardless of popularity.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Popularity can be a good way to find entertaining shows, but if I was going purely on popularity, I imagine I would be watching Bleach (never really have), or continuing the god awful Naruto Shippuden grind (Skipped so many episodes, especially the last 5 months of lame dream sequences).

If I don't genuinely like something, I'm not gonna continue on. Don't see a point in wasting my time on stuff I'm not having fun with. One Piece would be like the ONE show where I hung on there, but sometimes I really wonder why with how badly it drags on lol
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
I watch stuff I enjoy and pick up stuff I think I will enjoy. By this point, I am quite good at working out what I think I will enjoy, based on previews etc, but when I do get it wrong I drop things. I couldn't give 2 hoots about whether or not something's "popular". All I care about is watching or reading things I get enjoyment out of, regardless of other people's perceived "quality" or "popularity" of said things. Sometimes my curiosity is piqued by a popular show and I'll try it when I might have otherwise not, just to try and see why people like it so much. Sometimes I like them (AoT) and sometimes I don't (Naruto, SAO).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1