• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The North European/American and Southern European TV anime divide.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The history of anime fandom worldwide is interresting. Unlike Hollywood and US Productions, Anime does not fit every culture easily and is able to mass marketed on public airwaves easily.

Japanese cartoons hit worldwide airwaves particulary with Astro Boy in the US, Kimba Worldwide.

But then the US basicilly stopped importing with the exeption of some Harmony Gold adapted series.

In Europe on the hand, quite a boom happened. Go Nagais Grendizer, caused a boom in France, Spain and Italy causing to import a wide range of shows aimed at kids and teens. At that point Japan hasn't converted to only late night Otaku anime as the majority of anime that is produced. So quite a large number of shows were able to be mass marketed overseas that are attractive to broadcasters, because the shows themselfs earned high ratings on Japanese television. Japan offered anime probably very cheap at the time to these countries.

Me being German, we pretty much got nothing (or very little of this) in the 70's, 80's and 90's. World Masterpiece Theatre, which adapts childrens books, like Heidi and Dog of Flanders, was all we got for a long time. Captain Future, a Sci-Fi show and even Speed Racer came under heavy critisism. The only things we got were very old and probably cheap packages from Italian Television that mixed western cartoons with Anime like Miyuki, Attack No. 1 and Rose of Versailles. 1995 was when they bought Sailor Moon from Japan itself, and when that became a hit, the boom happened which caused several stations to import anime.

Dragon Ball (and also Z of course), Sailor Moon and Pokemon were big
around the same time as they were in the US. More anime like One Piece, Detective Conan, Ranma 1/2, Doremi, Inu Yasha along the usual merchandise shows (Yu Gi Oh, Beyblade) came around. And the smaller stations got ahold of adult oriented anime.

But anime on tv was more like a "fad" in Germany, with stations gradually caring less about anime around the years 05/06/07/08. The only shows that survived were basicilly the long shows One Piece, Naruto, Conan, and the merchandise shows. Tough even One Piece had it hard at times getting new episodes.

But German TV is really bad anyways, even quality US shows are not a thing of normality...a show like Breaking Bad gets only 40.000 viewers on a smaller network. While One Piece and Akame Ga Kill on a similarly smaller network get over 100.000 reglularily.

But either way, the UK has practially no history of anime on TV, aside from Ghibli and stuff that was popular in the US (I think).

Tough even the shows that aired in the US in Daytime television is really thin from what I've seen. With Toonami, daily programming basicilly only lasted from 1997-2004...and the shows are counted quickly. Dragon Ball Z, Rorouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto and that is it right? Even things like Conan, Inu Yasha and Lupin were shown at Daytime television in European countries.

Again the variety of shows imported in Italy, Spain and France is big. World Masterpiece Theatre, Sci-fi shows, the big Shounen shows, Shojo shows all got big before Cartoon Network in the US showed anime for the first time.

I counted about 300 shows that Italy imported in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I'd love to know more about the history of anime on tv in France, Spain and Italy, as I basicilly only have access to the German and US history of it.

Its an interresting subject that is underdiscussed.

[EDIT: Made the title less long-winded and fixed some of your paragraph formatting for easier readability. -TK]
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:

But either way, the UK has practially no history of anime on TV, aside from Ghibli and stuff that was popular in the US (I think).

I'm from England, we had Toonami (DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Big O and later on, stuff like Blue Submarine etc.), we had our own Sci-Fi-Channel that showed anime (they were showing stuff like Gatchaman (or G-Force), Tekkaman, Eva, Nadesico, Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040) and even stuff like Genocyber on there) that also had a program with hosts talking about stuff from Japan like Battle Royale. There was another shortlived dedicated anime program with two hosts that showed stuff like Elfen Lied, the Guyver TV series, and again, Eva. Can't really remember anything else, I have a bad memory lol.

Last edited by Souther on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Was Toonami on during the daytime?

Its interresting how Europe is far more acceptinng to violence, sex and more serious themes on Daytime TV.

In Germany, Ranma 1/2 and Detective Conan are found suitable in children programming lol.
Lupin III is also daytime re-run classic in Italy.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yup, it was on during the daytime.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

Blue Submarine too?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:

Its interresting how Europe is far more acceptinng to violence, sex and more serious themes on Daytime TV.

Don't know if that is interesting. It is just offset how puritanical America is, and how worse it is getting. I was in Germany ten years ago, and still remember how adult some late night German commercials are. They even had Grandma's out there strutting their stuff.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Souther wrote:

Blue Submarine too?

Yes, though I'm pretty sure it was a cut version of some kind. I remember other programs like Big O being on during something like 8:00pm.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to get the Answerman on the US/UK and Italy/Spain/France Anime on TV Situation.

Maybe he can give a more detailed answer
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
The history of anime fandom worldwide is interresting. Unlike Hollywood and US Productions, Anime does not fit every culture easily and is able to mass marketed on public airwaves easily.

I wouldn't think that Hollywood movies fit every culture easily though recent Hollywood movies are more universal in their appeal than old ones (movies like Transformers made for the Chinese market are very visceral).

Anime has a difficulty in being marketed for mass audiences because it is animation for adults/teens, adult animation does not fit the cultural taboos of the world. Hence, children's anime like Sailor Moon and Pokemon is shown worldwide since it fits with the broadcast standards of TV in most countries.

Quote:
I counted about 300 shows that Italy imported in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I'd love to know more about the history of anime on tv in France, Spain and Italy, as I basicilly only have access to the German and US history of it.

In Brazil I remember I even watched Patlabor when I was a kid. The TV stations though it was ok to show it on saturday morning because its cartoon. Well, that made me well aware of anime as a general medium. I also watched some hardcore science fiction OVAs as well when I was a kid. Don't remember the titles though.

In countries like Brazil, Italy and Spain I guess anime has received broader reception than in the Germanic countries partly because they are more open to foreign media. In Brazil since we don't produce much media, including kids cartoons the TV stations just imported what was available in terms of cartoons and ended up showing a lot of adult anime on Saturday mornings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

I wouldn't think that Hollywood movies fit every culture easily though recent Hollywood movies are more universal in their appeal than old ones (movies like Transformers made for the Chinese market are very visceral).

Anime has a difficulty in being marketed for mass audiences because it is animation for adults/teens, adult animation does not fit the cultural taboos of the world. Hence, children's anime like Sailor Moon and Pokemon is shown worldwide since it fits with the broadcast standards of TV in most countries.

Adult animation has not really been a thing to import unless its on video really.

Tough Italy is one of the countries that realizes how much kid friendly anime there really is out there, and imports it.
Cyborg Kuro Chan as one example, or having a Doraemon anime since the 80's.

Fox Kids and Jetix had a quick phase about this, but Italy never seemd to stop.

Quote:

In Brazil I remember I even watched Patlabor when I was a kid. The TV stations though it was ok to show it on saturday morning because its cartoon. Well, that made me well aware of anime as a general medium. I also watched some hardcore science fiction OVAs as well when I was a kid. Don't remember the titles though.

In countries like Brazil, Italy and Spain I guess anime has received broader reception than in the Germanic countries partly because they are more open to foreign media. In Brazil since we don't produce much media, including kids cartoons the TV stations just imported what was available in terms of cartoons and ended up showing a lot of adult anime on Saturday mornings.

Its interresting with Brazil - I never knew much about. I heard they have a Animax channel, and Ranma 1/2 and DBZ were the most popular shows. But from what I have seen, Italy, Spain and France go the farthest back with more shows.

Any more shows that aired in Brazil.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am 27 so I only know the stuff since the mid 1990's ownwards.

In terms of airing I watched Nadesico and Dirty Pair movies on TV. As well as Saber Marionette J and the other series, as well as Those who Hunt Elves, Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Bubblegun Crisis Tokuy 2040 are among the most memorable series I watched on TV around 2001-2003. I even watched the Agent Aika OVA on TV and some RPG anime as well like .hack//sight and stuff.

Patlabor TV series and the Patlabor movies as well aired on Brazilian TV. Besides that I watched the firstl Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, Saint Seya (extremely popular, perhaps the most popular anime in Brazil ever), Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Superpig (), I watched some episodes of several other magical girl shows I forgot about as well. I watched Yo Yo Hakusho as well and other action shounens like those. Captain Tsubasa was very popular when I was in the 3rd and 4th grade.

Of course, Pokemon, Digimon and other similar shows showed up later on, in the 4th and 5th grades. Samurai X also aired on the largest TV network in Brazil, though not the whole series, the TV channel brought the license because it was cheap to fill up a hole on it's programming temporarily.

Japanese live action films and series also aired on Brazilian TV: My mother watched Ultraman when she was a kid as well. The Godzilla movies are pretty famous as well. I also watched Kamen Raider on Brazilian TV.

I had cable though I watched all these on channels besides animax (Locomotion was a TV channel with a lot of adult animation, they also had South Park and European animation as well). When animax began I stopped watching anime, by the way.

I also rented some anime films and OVAs as well but I am only talking about stuff I watched on TV here.

Also, you should note that Brazil has a large Japanese population, the largest outside of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1