• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How have your tastes in anime changed over time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
As an anime fan of 5-and-a-half years, I still consider myself a newbie and my tastes haven't changed that much. I've cast a pretty wide net from day 1, enjoying virtually every kind of genre and style. I guess the main change is that my tolerance for stock situations and characters is lessening due to repeated exposure as you would expect. These days a harem comedy has to be pretty special to get more than a "meh" from me.

I'm still not a fan of "kid" anime shows (Pokemon, Yugioh, etc) and I can't get into BL, but I'm pretty much game for anything else.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't get into BL you say? I thought Black Lagoon would be right up your alley. Wink
Onora77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Yes, definitely. When I was younger I gravitated towards cutesy adventures and animes with "tournaments". Yes, I mean Pokemon :p Now though I prefer shorter animes (those with 20-30 episodes), and I don't start watching unless the last episode's already out.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'd like to say that I've expanded my tastes as well. If someone had recommended a show like Maria Watches Over Us to me when I had just started watching anime, chances are that I would have completely dismissed it for being too slowpaced.

I'm pretty much willing to watch just about anything now (I even subjected myself to tripe like Wanna Be the Strongest in the World and Daimidaler on the off chance that they would turn out to be good) and I still find myself enjoying kids shows as well. I'm quite liking Dragon Collection at the moment which is clearly not aimed at 34 year old women.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
When I was younger I always watch romance anime such as Special A or Ouran Highschool Host Club but now I'm kinda disgusted by those romance stories and prefer blood and violence instead.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Used to watch and like a lot of those thoughtful and mature anime like Mushishi and Texhnolyze and look down on moe anime. Now it's pretty much opposite.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
Laughing Wow, the last two posters have really done 180s.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing Wow, the last two posters have really done 180s.

Maybe they switched brains. Shocked

Though they do make me think of a slight change in taste I neglected. I still love my action and blood and explosions. I however do prefer them now with some semblance of a plot and story. Not just a Michael Bay anime movie heh.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Can't get into BL you say? I thought Black Lagoon would be right up your alley. Wink

I'm stoked for the possibility of another sequel or OVA since the manga is still ongoing. Lagoon deserves more love.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
They've both changed a lot and barely at all. First off, I go into anime in late 2001 via early adult swim and Toonami. The first anime that I knew was anime (I did not know Digimon was, I was only in 2nd or 3rd grade then, I was in 7th grade I believe when I got access to Toonami for reference) was Outlaw Star. I still really really like scifi, both space scifi and non-space scifi, but I adore scifi and still probably watch that genre the most.

But what really changed was that I used to watch mostly comedies, and now I'll typically avoid them like the plague. Now I want dramas and before I didn't want anything too serious. I also used to hate shojo with a passion, but now a lot of the manga I'm currently collecting (maybe half) is shojo and a lot of my favorite ever manga and anime are both shojo. When I started, I also didn't understand the joy of 80s anime, it was funny and old looking, until I blind bought some Robotech. Now I watch the hell out of 80s anime and it's possibly my favorite era. Of course, I'd say my definition of "old" is different than newer fans, who see 2005 as ancient. I usually use "is it cel-animted?" as my cut off (though I don't view mid-late 90s things are very old due to when I got in, just mildly older)
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Yep. I use to love ecchi harem Anime, but now I can't stand it(primarily because the main male character is always a cowardly sissy). I now love romantic drama Anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Figured I'd bump this as it's been a long time since the last post. I think as anime continues to evolve and different fads come and go many of our tastes ebb and flow over time. Just in the 6 years since my own previous post my tastes have changed.

Now a days I find myself far more selective with my tastes. I suppose as I have seen so much anime over the past 25-30 years some themes just have become tired and overdone for me. I find myself much more inclined to skip shows where the male MC is some nit wit but comes into a lot of power and every female fawns over him. I actually like many titles now where the MC actually is at least partially badass and competent from the start. Whether it's a more ecchi harem style show, or a normal action/shonen title. I'll still watch shows where the MC has to gain power and learn to use it, but the rest of the show has to be really good as well to keep me interested. MHA does this very well. SAO did it decently at first.

As anime continues to evolve artistically with the animation itself I find my enjoyment for older titles has actually increased. It's not so much a case of "back in my day" or simple nostalgia. Sure those elements are there in part, but it's much more a case of simply appreciating animation styles of years past. The 80's and 90's both to me have very different and unique art styles compared to today's anime. There are pluses and minuses to all of them, but I enjoy watching anime with the distinct differences in animation style because it provides a different viewing experience. With the litany of titles produced now I find that aspect to be worth more and more to me.

As for tastes in themselves I find I am actually growing more tired of ecchi and harem titles. Don't get me wrong, I do still enjoy them quite a lot and love my T&A. However, it's a style of show that truly has gotten stale by in large. There's only so much variance in those shows and I find more and more new titles just feel like cookie cutter copies of other shows. I actually need my T&A shows to have more of a real plot now a days, or do something more unique. The problem is that once something "new" comes along it's done to death in a short period of time. Much like regular titles as well.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
If anything has changed for me it is that:
  1. With slice-of-life shows I only watch one episode per day (my preferred method of watching a series is to binge it). In hindsight; when I was recommending Haibane Renmei at the slightest excuse I should have prefaced my recommendation with the caveat that since the first 6½ episodes are world building, that the viewer should only watch the 1st 6 episodes at a rate of 1/day as the plot really doesn't kick into gear until the last ½ of episode #7 ─ and it's a 13 episode series.
    Aaannd.....
  2. I am reluctant to watch series that are more than 11-13 episodes in length ─ unless I know in advance that I will have the time to binge watch it in a relatively quick time frame. I've been going out of my to watch films that have garnered good reputations.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
My tastes haven't really changed in the 34 years since I started actively watching anime. They've only expanded over the years, but I've never abandoned the earliest genres that I started following.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
I don't think my tastes have changed much either. My main preferences are still the same as they were in the late 90's when I first got into anime. My watching/purchasing habits have certainly changed though.
I had a lot more free time in the early days of my fandom so I watched a lot more back then compared to what I watch today. And also back then there was both old and new content to consume while today I've consumed the majority of the older content that I have any interest in so there's mostly only new content to check out. Also back then there wasn't so much of a domestic market so I bought a lot of titles sight-unseen, while today I nearly always check out new titles via streaming or at least reading reviews & doing online research before purchasing. I've also noticed that I purchase fewer anime soundtracks these days.

Like Psycho mentioned I'm also becoming more selective. Since I don't have as much free time to watch a lot of shows I only end up watching those that really catch my attention, and that might take a while even for really good shows. I didn't watch Madoka Magica until 2 years after it came out, for example. These days I tend to figure out if I like a show based on what I happen across online or happen across while streaming. I'll watch a few eps to check it out and if I like it then I'll wait until the physical media is released and then I'll buy that. Right now I'm waiting for the new Fruits Basket and No Guns Life to come out on Blu-Ray to finish them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3