• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Uta~Kata (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I find the premise of this mahou shoujo series to be quite unique. Though it took me awhile to grasp the fact that Ichika gets to use a certain Djinn to transform, and all she does is flies around and watches stuff spoiler[of course later on in the series, she finally makes use of her powers with her other Djinns.] When I first started watching this, my first impression was that it reminded me of Someday's Dreamers; it was really relaxing and small conflicts gets solved very quickly. Later on, there seems to be a much bigger plot which resulted to more angstly conflicts of which I didn't expect.

At least for this series, we get to see a different costume worn by Ichika. And also since the director of Kiddy Grade is involved, there were a couple of light fanservice moments.
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
i dunno if it's good or not... up through 10 right now.

but i think episode 5 was one of the better episodes so far.
overall, this series at first seems light and sugary, but it's really really depressing.

the fanservice astounds me, not because of the occasional panty shot, but because those are some of the most shapely 13 year olds ever. =X

the reason why i don't know how good it is yet, is because the background plot develops at a very slow pace, and i don't think the episode plots are very deep and interesting either.

not phenomenal, but i still enjoy it. i still want to know the answers to the damn show =P
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those series that I'm not sure I really like, but can't stop watching.

I really need to know what's going to happen to Ichika. It certainly covers some adult themes too, with the spoiler[flashback of (i assume) sexual abuse of one of the girls] being quite moving.

Either way, it looks like being an emotional ride for the last three episodes.

JBV^_^
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
(This thread is the only proper on for Uta Kata, so I am posting here.)

The show is pretty horrible content-wise (it also has low level visuals, but it is less important).

This is an example of pointless "monster [gin, in this case] of the week" aka "we have to invent the need to make heroine use a gin per episode" formulae with a lots of cutesy petty interactions that bear no value to the story (if we accept idea that there is an actual story at all); I was bored to death.

Also, the premise of whole thing is super dumb: spoiler[one of the lads knowingly gives a girl magical artefact that would start this gin thing only to say later that he is sorry and the responsible for all of this.] There was no need to make one of the lads idiot, but authors did it. Also, later in the series aquamarine-colour haired lass pretends that she is against main lass using gins ("Ichika, you should not!) all while she spoiler[herself has made main lass use them].

Overall, authors have executed little-to-no effort for events of the story to make sense. And those stories that they wrote for episodes are ridiculous (finding watches or wanting too see things from gin's eyes).

Use of eavesdropping as plot-moving vehicle is also low class writing. Memory loss that comes from spoiler[suicide attempt] is ridiculous nonsense from cheap soap operas. There is also whole line of "events" that including mysterious lass spying on main lass, and vice versa. Additionally, countless all-important discussions about food and lots of other irrelevant things.

This series is one of instances of overrated shows. ANN rating for it is high, and review says something about sophisticated storytelling, but after six episodes all I can see that the formulae is primitive and whole things makes little sense.

I also hate how authors forced actress that voices main lass to make those "cute/cutesy" sounds. It sounds so fake; she tries too hard.

No, girls do not make such sounds. Just because some perverts long time ago thought girls do, and found it cute, and nearly every animation since has followed the troupe, it does not mean that all girls and all shoyo (and non-shoyo) products have to be this way; but they almost always are.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Overall, authors have executed little-to-no effort for events of the story to make sense.

Maybe they should have used "for dummies" story telling, since it actually needs you to use your brains to make sense of the events.

MaxSouth wrote:
I also hate how authors forced actress that voices main lass to make those "cute/cutesy" sounds. It sounds so fake; she tries too hard.

No, girls do not make such sounds. Just because some perverts long time ago though girls do, and found it cute, and nearly every animation since has followed the troupe, it does not mean that all girls and all shoyo (and non-shoyo) products have to be this way; but they almost always are.

This again? {Insults are not allowed. ~nobahn} If that's what people like, they will keep using these voices. Especially since this one is seinen - targeted at adult males - so obviously they're not gonna experience with more realistic voices. And they are still far more realistic than dubs make the girls sound, mind you.

In short, it's your personal problem that you don't appreciate good seiyuu works like this, or I could also say it's {Insults are not allowed. ~nobahn}.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Congratulations: you have posted a classy response full of concrete arguments. Obviously, any third-party reader would be convinced by it.

On the final and epilogue: of course, it is can be seen why people like this show on emotional level: this is a story about spoiler[partying ways, forever; about growing up, maturing, taking responsibility, and so on. ] I wish it would be wrapped in better writing, though, because even the very last event in the series, spoiler[mirror characters disappearing,] is not made in a convincing way. It was unnecessary; inevitability of that was not shown, viewers just have to believe in it without real explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1