• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

So Mitsuya still works with Masashi but now there's this woman named Kaguya that enters his life. Kinda interesting to see the narrative of how it affects his lifestyle. Kinda obvious that Mistuya has a thing for Kaguya. I'm not sure if he's prepared for a relationship yet though or maybe he just has a hard time being himself in front of her.

The realism of the show remain fluid. The road to building dictionaries isn't easy.

Regarding Kaguya, I kinda like her. She's mature and follows her dreams.

I wonder if the dictionary really is going to get cancelled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This was probably my favourite episode so far because it seemed to get the balance between dictionary work and character interplay right. I didn't feel like I was being inundated with dictionary stuff. Kaguya seems pretty cool. Friendly, straightforward. It will be interesting to see how V-card Majime deals with that most terrifying of all creatures: a female.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

This just gets better every week. I loved how he was so wrapped up in his inner drama that after he walked into a pole he didn't see, he automatically bowed to it. Not even physical pain could rouse him from his mental litanies of self-recrimination and replaying everything he did wrong, everything that was wrong with him, every miserable coulda woulda shoulda. I know that sort of tunnel vision very well.

I love all the close-ups on all these very expressive (and some resolutely unexpressive) faces, and the voice work and animation continue to be stellar. I'm running out of ways to communicate how much I love this. I need a dictionary. Does Japanese have a Thesaurus?

On another tangent, in the OP, much like in this episode, while chasing the kanji (light from a lantern or lamp) he runs blindly into the kanji 志独歩 which nearly knocks him off his feet. I imagine the latter is an idiom, consisting of 志 (aspire, resolve), and 独歩 (to walk unaided), but I'm not sure what the whole phrase signifies. Stubborn independence? Perseverance?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
I like this show, but mainly for the dictionary nerdery and the nice visuals, the "romance" stuff is pretty awkward so far, though. Bringing up Majime's presumed virginity at the office was incredibly rude and later at the restaurant everybody was talking like it's a given that he'd marry this girl (he hasn't even properly talked to, yet...). Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
^ Yep, it was rude and pushy, but it also rang true to me. This little group is very much like a family (mother, father, grandfather, eldest son), and their meddling efforts to immediately marry him off at the first hint of an eligible girl struck me as their clumsy way of welcoming him to the family (I don't mean they were consciously intending that, but rather that they already see him as family, so different rules of etiquette apply). And I don't see how the romance side could be anything but awkward.

Having them practically reserving the wedding hall for him also really sold how swept away Majime feels about all this. He's so out of his depth that the tiny rivulet of simply meeting her makes him feel like he's about to drown, and then he lifts his head to see this tsunami bearing down on him.

And Kaguya handled herself like a champ at the restaurant. I really hope we get to hear what she thought of the whole situation.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
This anime is so "me", it's unfair. The linguistic nerddom, the believable workplaces, the detailed character animation, the protagonist who loves words but is terrible at speaking - where have you been all these years, show?! Yeah, I'm still not fully sold on the romance angle, but otherwise it's tied with Yuri!!! on Ice as my favourite new (i.e. non-sequel) show this season.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
On another tangent, in the OP, much like in this episode, while chasing the kanji (light from a lantern or lamp) he runs blindly into the kanji 志独歩 which nearly knocks him off his feet. I imagine the latter is an idiom, consisting of 志 (aspire, resolve), and 独歩 (to walk unaided), but I'm not sure what the whole phrase signifies. Stubborn independence? Perseverance?
I've been puzzled by that as well. Judging by the scarcity of Google rezults it's definitely not an idiom, neither in Japanese nor in Chinese. My best two guesses are that it's either meant to be kanbun for 独歩を志す ("to aspire to walk alone" or "to aspire to be unequalled"), or a deliberately non-existent word. All the other words flying by in that sequence are apparently real, and he conks his head on the only fake one - symbolism? Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking it has to do with his epiphany on the bridge about depending on other people as a means of connecting with them, since the primary meaning of 独歩 that I've found in dictionaries is to walk unaided, which I take to mean in the sense of not needing support to move forward, which I guess English calls "standing on your own two feet." If so far he's been determined to go on alone despite or because of being unable to form many connections, smacking his head against that phrase suggests that's been an obstacle in itself to his search for another light in that darkness?

I suspect it might turn up in future episodes with a definition. I hope so. Smile
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the juxtaposition with the workplace dynamics: Majime is weird but fits in this environment and our representative normal person is the poor fish out of water.

Another Japanese vs. English dictionary wondering: The whole idea of including IT terms was interesting since here in the US dictionaries tend to avoid jargon/terms of art including, of course, IT jargon such as "remoted" instead of "remotely accessed". I wonder if they're using the term IT itself more broadly than it's used here and are meaning including user/consumer terms.

On a side note, I really liked the sound design on the pen Majime was using. It felt textured and satisfyingly real. I almost felt like I was writing something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Another good episode.

Finally, about time Mitsuya decided to finally talk to Kaguya normally. Hell, even the granny supports their relationship. It's a slow start but I think they have some decent chemistry especially on that ferris wheel. In the meantime, I'm glad Mitsuya reaffirms his goal to make dictionaries.

Publicizing dictionaries is also a good idea to keep it from being cancelled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Shaming the company into keeping the dictionary because they're worried they'd be seen as only thinking of short term profits would never work in America, since that's all corps care about.

I loved this except that they intruded on my weekly reverie with this by shoving that damned OP song into my ears and I couldn't mute it in case there was dialog or sfx. It's just so out of place in this series wherever they use it. It must be paying half their budget or something.

"Is her vision failing? She was scrunching up her face like this." Laughing And the end tag was priceless. Poor Michan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
So nice to see an anime that shows its characters in actual relationships. I'm assuming that woman with Nishioka is his girlfriend as opposed to wife, but I'm not really sure. In any case, Nishioka has drawn a target on his back, for sure. As those two dudes said, management will be pissed that he has manipulated the situation. Not that he really cares, of course ... clearly making a dictionary is not his life's dream.
Songster01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Um, did you know this was intentionally set in the past? Some people guessed the 1990s and they were almost right, but it is set in 2000 (look carefully and you will see clues). Why? I assume the novel is intentionally set a decade before it came out. The tech is still a little behind for 2000, but nothing surprising for a low-status department. In short, far from unrealistic. I can tell you (maybe you're too young), but I lived over half my life without cellphones and yep, I didn't consider cell phones at all essential ca. 2000. Certainly some professions needed them sooner and adopted them more quickly, and more tech-loving folks like Nishioka considered them essential, and ofc many people in sales positions did too. But it makes sense that many people still didn't, depending on their age and personal inclinations. It seems in character for Majime to not feel one is necessary. I personally didn't really warm up to them until a few years ago. *shrug*

chaccide wrote:
It took me a while to figure out why this felt so stupid. Who the f*ck does this sort of work by hand on paper? This isn't the 1950s, the people have cell phones. Publishers have been using computers to index dictionaries for decades now. I cannot watch them go through all this work when they could cut their time down by 90% by using technology.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So nice to see an anime that shows its characters in actual relationships. I'm assuming that woman with Nishioka is his girlfriend as opposed to wife, but I'm not really sure. In any case, Nishioka has drawn a target on his back, for sure. As those two dudes said, management will be pissed that he has manipulated the situation. Not that he really cares, of course ... clearly making a dictionary is not his life's dream.

The first thought that came to my anime-trained mind was that she's probably his sister... Wink

And i do believe that he actually cares a lot more than he pretends to, otherwise he wouldn't have put that much effort (and risked being punished) into it.

So any bets on how many rounds it took Majime to get off that ferris wheel?
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'm a little worried that if Nishioka is successful in keeping the "Great Passage" afloat that the higher ups will force him out with a cut backs excuse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
@ Merida - certainly Nishioka cares. We can already see that dynamic between he and Majime is one where he teaches him to be more social and Majime teaches him to care about the dictionary. That being said, if the dictionary did get shut down, Majime would be absolutely devastated while Nishioka would be somewhat bummed.

Oh and by the way, Laughing at the direction your "anime" trained mind took you in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8