• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
It's unusual enough that this an anime entirely about adults, that look and act like adults, but it's a really nice bonus that the apparent foundations of the show's budding romantic relationship appears to be a mutual attitude towards their life's endeavors.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Oh Lord, this episode brought me to tears I was laughing so much all the way through. Fifteen pages! What would you do if you received such a declaration?! And opening the door to find him sitting there waiting - her reaction was perfect. And then he just disappears. I'm laughing just thinking about that scene.

But this episode really belonged to Nishioka. All the wonderful body language while he was reading the letter, the meeting with his totally passive-aggressive boss, even falling on top of his girlfriend drunk on his ass - how refreshing was that that he didn't face-plant in her boobs?!

Gods, I hate amazon.com. Why does all the good stuff end up being treated like a red-headed stepchild?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 5

Fifteen pages! What would you do if you received such a declaration?!

I would probably run for the hills and never look back...Majime is cute but way too...intense for my taste, Nishioka is a lot closer to my type and he really shone in this episode! And yeah, it's good to see him having a reasonably healthy relationship with his girlfriend (who's actually not his sister Wink ), even though they seem to need to hide their relationship at work for some reason...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Do Japanese companies tend to have rules against employee fraternization? If that isn't the reason, then maybe they just decided they don't want to be the object of workplace gossip.

But yes, I'd hate to see what Majime would write for his profile on OKCupid...

I'm assuming in the end Nishioka decided it was more important for Majime to pass on a letter that was authentic to him as opposed to a more conventional approach. I guess we'll see next week how that turns out. At least Grandma is on his side...

And as expected, the bill for Nishioka's scheming came due. Although the company picked an odd way to "punish" him. I'm not sure that they are aware he has belatedly become more jazzed about working on the dictionary, so transferring him to a job he originally applied for strikes me as a bit strange. And given his personality, PR is where he should be. Plus, since his secret shag works there, the opportunities to disappear into a broom closet for an afternoon quickie will rise dramatically (I'm sure this happens in Japanese companies all the time).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
That was actually a very Japanese way to punish him. Since he stuck his neck out and really hustled to make it difficult for them to cancel the dictionary, it was clear that he must be enjoying working there. But he had to pay for making trouble for his superiors by losing the thing he'd worked for and wanted to keep doing. However, openly punishing him for raising the reputation of the company wouldn't do, so rather than fire him, just move him and make it sound like a promotion. Of course, his demeanor and tone when delivering the "good news" made it more than clear he was showing him who's boss.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo, how diabolical! I wonder if he actually will be transferred or if he'll find a way out of it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well I liked the focus on Nishioka this episode. A decent change of pacing there but in the meantime, I'm also rooting for Majime.

He actually found the courage to deliver that love letter to Kaguya! I'm pretty curious to see how she will respond next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was actually a very Japanese way to punish him. Since he stuck his neck out and really hustled to make it difficult for them to cancel the dictionary, it was clear that he must be enjoying working there. But he had to pay for making trouble for his superiors by losing the thing he'd worked for and wanted to keep doing. However, openly punishing him for raising the reputation of the company wouldn't do, so rather than fire him, just move him and make it sound like a promotion. Of course, his demeanor and tone when delivering the "good news" made it more than clear he was showing him who's boss.

It sucks that he's getting booted from the dictionary team but all things considered, it was a slap on the wrist. Maybe the writers will have him stay connected with the group somehow, like he'll take on both workloads of his old and new positions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I guess I have to say this was not the series' best episode, and it's still head and shoulders above almost everything else. Smile Even the redux of his feelings of being at sea and overwhelmed was oddly soothing and beautiful to look at and just savor to the terrific music, as surely as Majime was savoring reading the dictionary.

And it had its requisite funny moments too. For the life of me I don't know how Tora isn't constantly turning the light on and off. It's even got a bell on it! How does Majime keep from tripping over it or rolling onto it in his sleep and turning on the light?

They had some unusual ideas about karma though.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad they got the confessions over with (relatively) quick and painless in the end. At the beginning of the episode it looked like this would turn into one of those endless and tedious series of "romantic misunderstandings" anime seems to be so fond of...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
My approach to a love letter would be a little different from Majime's. Mine would go something like this:

Yo, sweetcheeks:

So I couldn't helped notice you gots a great ass. Tits pretty good, too. Anyhoo, I wuz wondering if maybe you wanted to get together for a round of horizontal mambo or three. I'm gonna assume "yes."

Later 'gator.

"Casanova" Blood-

P.S. if you happen to go past the grog shop, pick me up a 6-pak of Schlitz.

Yes, I too feared the endless delaying of romantic action that Merida cited so I'm glad it actually didn't go that route. I'm really loving this show. It's exactly the kind of adult fare in anime I have been craving and so rarely get to indulge in. Who knew the intricacies of putting together a dictionary could be so fascinating?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I'm so glad to see that Kaguya share mutual feelings with Majime.

Hoping we get an episode focusing just on the both of them soon even; though we already seen some of their chemistry. It'll be interesting to see how Majime will deal with how Kaguya responded considering he doesn't have much experience yet in romance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
By the way, was anyone else surprised that Kaguya opened the door to Majime's room without knocking or announcing herself first?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
She might've been afraid he'd jump out the window if she gave him the chance to flee again.

I was surprised he could stand up the next morning, after apparently spending the whole night sitting on his legs. I guess there's an art to that.

I'm glad Nishioka came clean. I think it was just as hard for him to deliver that news as it was for Majime to deliver his love novella.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was surprised he could stand up the next morning, after apparently spending the whole night sitting on his legs. I guess there's an art to that.

I laughed at that scene, to me it looked like they animated him as sorta stumbling away since he was locked in that position for so long.

As for this week's episode they once again handle the relationships and interactions in such a mature and realistic way. If I ever see someone wanting a more adult anime, this will be at the top of the recommendations.

To be honest this is becoming my favorite of the year. By the time that ED starts to play with the word of the day listing, I find myself falling more in love with the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8