• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
It's been my favorite from the first episode!

Episode 7

It's amazing that I'm every bit as interested in the production problems and details of the dictionary as I am in Majime's love life. Loved how Nishioka dealt with the bastard professor. But it makes me wonder why the dictionary team hasn't pled their case for keeping Nishioka around to management. I suppose they're afraid the whole project will be shelved if they raise a stink, but it seems like Nishioka's efforts already made doing so too embarrassing an option, so they ought to be able to exert some leverage without sinking the ship.

And I totally identify with the tag. I hate buying new glasses, and my expression looks exactly like Majime's when I have to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Knowing how the episode previous ended (with Kaguya telling Majime she had feelings for him, too), and knowing this is anime, I knew with absolute certainty that the issue would be (almost) completely ignored this episode. It's simply the anime way. Romance? Oh, who needs that? So frustrating.

I did enjoy the dictionary warz stuff, but it's frustrating to have the Majime-Kaguya relationship almost entirely set aside right after a mutual confession. I guess next episode? Maybe? Or has the series heaved a sigh of relief, "great, that's over with, we can concentrate on making the dictionary now!"

By the way, when Matsumoto (the old guy) was commenting on the TRUE romance of the series, the partnership between Majime and Nishioka, it suddenly flashed into my head that the editorial department is probably going to have to deal with his death at some point.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah it was a little frustrating having to put the Majime/Kaguya story on hold, but it was totally worth it in exchange for watching Nishioka's relationship. This episode displayed a genuine affection between the two and it left me wanting more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Yes, I appreciated that aspect myself, but it doesn't change the fact that it is frustrating to have a mutual confession between the MC and his supposed love interest (almost) completely put on the shelf. No Western show would ever do that. That is one of the irritating things about being a Westerner watching anime: read the mood, you dorks!
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
HA! Now I picture Majime as one of the writers who stumbled across this board and gets all flustered because he didn't read the mood.

Great. Are you happy? Now he's depressed and is going to walk into telephone poles on his way to work.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Nishioka is my MVP in this series, so i won't complain about more episodes centered around him. I also really appreciate the surprisingly "normal" (well, minus the "we gotta make sure nobody from work see us" part..) relationship he has with his girlfriend.

I'm still hoping Nishioka's transfer might be avoided somehow. He and Majime make a great team and not seeing him as often anymore will make me sad...on the other hand, having to deal with people like Oda-sensei by himself, might be a valuable life lesson for Majime.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Nishioka is my MVP in this series, so i won't complain about more episodes centered around him. I also really appreciate the surprisingly "normal" (well, minus the "we gotta make sure nobody from work see us" part..) relationship he has with his girlfriend.
I relate to Majime a lot more as a person, but I do like the refreshingly down to earth yet still endearing relationship Nishioka and Miyoshi have.

One thing I really loved in the latest episode were the lovely shades of green in the sky during that one scene between Majime and Nishioka. The colouring work on the sky in general has been a consistently strong point of the show, but that green sky is something I could just frame and hand on my wall. The sunset when Nishioka strikes his victory pose wasn't bad either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Well Majime did mention that he was leaving early from work because Kaguya had something, so their relationship may not be as on hold as we peeping toms are not seeing it. Instead we really had focus on Nishioka, who is a cool guy. Even if I am more along Majime's level of charisma and could imagine ways I would have trouble with people like Nishioka. That burn he put on the professor was sweet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
DP, obviously I was refering to what we actually are seeing on screen. Yes, I noticed that the show reluctantly devoted about 3 seconds of screen time to Majime mentioning Kaguya. They could have 6 kids and be living in sin by now but it hardly matters if we don't actually see anything, right?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm really liking Nishioka as of late. He feels like such a "real" guy.

Also, the Jishotans (almost want to write that as "Jishotanz") are ADORABLE! Their conversations get cuter by the week.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Nishioka and Majime has such an interesting relationship imo. While we didn't get to see much of Majime and Kaguya this week, I find Nishioka and Majime's working relationship to be very realistic.

Too bad Nishioka is leaving soon, he's grown to me as one of the most interesting characters this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Holy time skip Batman! Majime's married, 13 years on the Great Passage, and grandma is dead.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about the time jump. This show has a very personal and intimate feel and the skip makes me feel like I missed out on a lot of good stuff. I'm bummed that we missed some huge milestones especially since this show's strength lies with their relationships and interactions.

The episode itself was good. I already like the new woman and it was funny to see Majime freak her out. Speaking of, it was great seeing Majime together with Kaguya. They make a great married couple. I also thought the discussion on Dictionary paper was pretty cool.

I have one worry that tragedy is about to hit the group pretty soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

<blinkblinkblink> Uh...what the hell happened? Not only did they do an unspecified time skip (I think the 13 years is the total time since the beginning of the project, not since Majime joined the group), but the animation crashed and burned too. It looked like another studio took over the production and didn't get all the materials. Shocked

Even the Jishotans seemed confused.

I liked the new girl and I'm glad Nishioka is still hanging around with them when he can, but I feel like they just set me adrift on the ocean without a compass. Or a dictionary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
Holy time skip Batman! Majime's married, 13 years on the Great Passage, and grandma is dead.

I thought it was somewhat ominous that we didn't see Granny. Was there a shrine to her in the house that I missed? Other than that, how do we know she's dead?

And yes, I noticed the off-modelling and wonky animation in places too which is something that normally blows right by me.

I had thought the series was set in present day when it first started. With this time jump are we now watching a science fiction show that is depicting the future?

The way Nishioka was macking on the newbie made we wonder if he was still with his girlfriend.

Yup, the death flag for Matsumoto continues to flap merrily in the breeze. I hope he lives long enough to see The Great Passage, but anime loves to confound hopes, sometimes.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
That was a very unexpected time skip. Cute that Kajime and Kaguya are now married, and it's good to see that even after his transfer, Nishioka continues to hang around. I hope they show how things are going with him and his girlfriend and let us know whether or not they're still keeping their relationship a secret.

Matsuoka sensei looks like he may kick the bucket by series' end... Pretty sure Grandma is gone since they only showed her in photos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8