• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
So we got a time skip (I think it's 13 years?) and apparently, Majime and Kaguya are married now. Honestly, Majime looks pretty much the same to me while Kaguya does show a bit of her age. I'd like to see the anime show a glimpse at what happened during those 13 years together though.

The new woman that showed up at the workplace seems like a friendly person although she seems to lack some confidence.

Yeah, I think the grandma passed away (probably old age if if I had to guess).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Then length of time that has passed is a little unclear. Majime cites the fact that it was 13 years since The Great Passage was started, but he wasn't there at the very beginning and it's not clear how long work had been going when he did join. However, the time jump is clearly several years. Kaguya went from a rookie chef to the owner of her own place and you don't tend to do that overnight.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was...unexpected. I guess they wanted to thoroughly convey the time it takes to make a dictionary, but i just felt kinda lost, wondering what happened for most of this episode.

Nice to see that Kagura didn't just bear Majime's numerous children and become a housewife, but actually owns the restaurant now, though. Also nice to see that Nishioka is still awesome. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I had thought the series was set in present day when it first started. With this time jump are we now watching a science fiction show that is depicting the future?

As it turns out, we started in 2000 and it's now 2013, so yeah, I guess they meant how long Majime had been working on it. :/

Also, new cat. But that's inevitable. :(

Tora left, Tigger right.

Blood- wrote:
The way Nishioka was macking on the newbie made we wonder if he was still with his girlfriend.

Well, he wasn't wearing a band, but then again, neither was Majime except in one shot, because the art was so derpy. To wit:

Everything is completely out of proportion. And dose hands.... ::facepalm::

I did really enjoy the whole thing about the paper. Not something you'd normally consider. How much would it cost to have custom paper developed and made just for your project??

I dunno, with this sudden leap, I'm half expecting them to leap again, to when Majime is old and everyone else has died off and he finally completes the dictionary with his final breath. Never thought I'd even imagine something so cliche for this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The "Sharp Eyes" award goes to Gina Szanboti. I wouldn't worry about your cliche ending coming true. It sounds like they are actually pretty close to being finished. Mind you, there are three eppies left, so plenty of time for more monkey wrenches to be thrown into the works.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I think that in the back of my mind I was not too impressed by the art, but seeing that shot above with the horrible hands, ouch. A good insight into the years, I guess meaning the show started in the year 2000, which alleviated comments I said earlier about a lack of taking advantage of modern tech.

New character seems kind of cool.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I thought it was somewhat ominous that we didn't see Granny. Was there a shrine to her in the house that I missed? Other than that, how do we know she's dead?

Them making a point to show the pictures of Granny led me to believe she passed on.

Blood- wrote:
I had thought the series was set in present day when it first started. With this time jump are we now watching a science fiction show that is depicting the future?

The beginning of the show might have been set in the past and then time jumped into the present. I think I remember them using flip phones in ep 1 and now we see smart phones. More guess work on my part.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
@ dash58 - Gina Szanboti solved the mystery of when the show started (2000) and what year it is now (2013) with screencaps provided above.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ dash58 - Gina Szanboti solved the mystery of when the show started (2000) and what year it is now (2013) with screencaps provided above.

Thanks, I don't know if it was lack of sleep but I somehow missed that entire page.

Thinking some more on this episode, I feel like it added an air of sadness to the series. So far I sensed a certain level of hope or optimism as the show progressed. Even if it felt a little like that with the new woman in the last scene, I can't help but get a somber-y tone being set for the rest of Passage. Not just the death flag of course.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why that is? I'm not detecting that, myself. I'm more curious what's next for Majime once The Great Passage is finished.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
About the animation quality, it's true that this episode was outsourced, namely to Doga Kobo. However, at least some people at sakugabooru seem to have enjoyed it, because as of now episode 8 is the one with the most cuts uploaded: 13, which is more than twice the next highest episode (ep.1 with six cuts). There are cases where the off-modelling is clearly deliberate, like in this cut where it emphasizes the suddenness and speed of Kishibe's departure, but in others it's likely a sign of necessary compromise between maximizing the detail of character motion and maintaining the detail of character designs (good example and comment here). Episodes generally get outsourced due to scheduling difficulties, and this show has set a fairly high standard of character animation for itself. Because of this it's clear why they chose Doga Kobo when it became absolutely necessary to outsource (the studio is famous for its focus on character animation, earning the nickname "dogakogods" in the sakuga fandom), and also why the production staff chose loosening up on the models over resorting to things like stills and jumpier cuts.

As for the time skip, yeah it caught me off guard and it does also make the sense of melancholy much more pronounced. At the same time, it does make me optimistic that the show will have a definite ending with the staff producing the actual dictionary, rather than a "but our fight goes on!" non-ending so many one cour anime get these days (not that that was ever a big risk, considering that the show is based on a one volume novel from five years ago). I do hope we'll see what Miyoshi is up to now and what their current status is with Nishioka.

Last edited by vonPeterhof on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I thought I was exaggerating when I said it looked like they handed it off to another studio. Very Happy

Can't say I agree with all their choices. Like this one. How many different sizes of glasses does this restaurant offer? Matsumoto-sensei looks like he's drinking (water? sake?!) from a shot glass. The movement in the liquid-levels is nice, and I have no complaint with the closeup character details here, but otherwise I don't see anything to marvel over. But then sakuga isn't really my thing anyway. Smile And I certainly don't mind people praising this series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I will say that it is well animated when she ran out of the room and seems to skid in place as she changes directions, that was something I was actually impressed by in the episode. But the more I look at it the more there is something wrong with their hands.

I can vouch for having off model more loose character designs for the use of taking advantage of movement to emphasise emotion in characters. I did a whole thing recently with saying that the new direction with the Pokémon anime is actually pretty good for doing that in loosening the general character designs to make the characters expressive. But in general I think it happening for one episode where so much is off model with the emphasis changed to the animation is kind of unnecessary. Fune o Amu is not meant to be big and exciting with emotion of a scene baked into how characters suddenly move, so far it has meant to be slow and methodical, we skipped like the entirety of a new romance. To compromise I think that maybe it was okay for such a thing to happen with this new character, that she brings a different energy as a focus, although it is kind of falling into my thoughts on a series where different characters could be animated differently, and I am not sure that it fits here.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
In the original novel, Majime's love letter is reproduced in full in the back of the book, along with running commentary in the margins by Nishioka and Kishibe. It's not all jabs, fortunately; they also explain the Chinese poetry. Well, Kishibe does.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
That I'd like to read. Very Happy

If it gets licensed, maybe they'll include it as an extra. Doesn't look like the novel is getting translated any time soon. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8