• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai Any Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I liked the Girl Who Leapt Through Time at first but I watched it three times and with each viewing, its plot elements got quieter while its truly awful sexual politics got louder.

Genuinely curious to hear what sexual politics you took away from that movie. I could get on board with "spoiler[pining/aiming for a dude you may literally never meet again] ain't healthy", but I'm pretty stymied on the rest.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
It's been a long while since I saw Mirai in theaters. The thing for me is I just found the protagonist insufferable. Maybe I should give it another shot?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Genuinely curious to hear what sexual politics you took away from that movie.

Can't speak for them, but personally I've found Hosoda's movies frustrating because they tend to be very well-directed but also firmly conservative-minded.

Wolf Children is probably the clearest example of both, with both children pushed into traditional gender norms by the end (young boy being free to spoiler[literally live in the woods as a wild animal] = OK, girl who likes to collect creepy objects and wants to be self-sufficient in any way = bad, which is especially weird combined with the single-mother thing but then you can't have men raising children or anything, that wouldn't be masculine... notice what happens in Mirai when a man tries to do that job). Girl Who Leapt Through Time mainly bugs me because of the ending, where spoiler[basically everything the protagonist did was stupid and pointless and possibly the reason for an apocalyptic future, and one of her guy friends pulls a deus ex machina to fix her final screwup, which is apparently how one Gets The Girl]. Whether that's sexist, I'm not 100% sure, but it sure does devalue her as a character.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Can't speak for them, but personally I've found Hosoda's movies frustrating because they tend to be very well-directed but also firmly conservative-minded.

Wolf Children is probably the clearest example of both, with both children pushed into traditional gender norms by the end (young boy being free to spoiler[literally live in the woods as a wild animal] = OK, girl who likes to collect creepy objects and wants to be self-sufficient in any way = bad, which is especially weird combined with the single-mother thing but then you can't have men raising children or anything, that wouldn't be masculine... notice what happens in Mirai when a man tries to do that job).

Everything you listed is honestly one of my main issues with Wolf Children (aside from the mom character verging on sainthood); I was over the moon to see the girl in her childhood, and was deeply bitter that the movie didn't shift her interests into "adapt them into ways to share them with others" and instead went for "dump everything that creeps out 'normal' girls". It's just The Girl Who Leapt Through Time take that genuinely confuses me (although I guess there is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it implication that spoiler[both the main character and her aunt are characters who devote their lives to chasing men from the future], which we both agreed is kinda not great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2