• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Says His Allegations Against Daman Mills Were Fabricated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mills told ANN that he has sought legal counsel and has been advised not to comment on the allegations. He sent Duncan a Cease and Desist letter on February 18. Mills also demanded in the letter that the Duncan cease and desist from further contacting Mills' employers or contractors. He was given until February 25 to agree or face potential legal action, including potential liability for damages, costs, and expenses. In a separate communication with Duncan, Mills asked that the allegations be retracted before he would consider granting an extension to respond to the cease & desist.

Still looks like a vicious bullying tactic to me.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
#icyermc wrote:
You guys really should not be speculating whether or not this specific article was true - you guys said believe the victims, now it is time to believe Duncan on the fabrication.

Weren't all of your other posts(and your account in general) solely spent in the other related thread trying to claim it was defamation on Duncan's part? Of course you want folks to believe him now. Confused
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, this has gotten thoroughly weird.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My take away from all this is don't have sexual relationships with 16 year olds even if it's technically "legal" in your state.

Exactly. Outside of his CP convictions, that's how Jared Fogle was also convicted for traveling across state lines to engage in underage sex.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:22 pm Reply with quote
As someone who lives in Ohio, I also think that the age of consent is too low. I prefer it being 18 in my opinion, because the way it is now, technically a 30 year-old adult sleeping with a 16 year-old teen could be considered legal under Ohio law. This has never sat right with me, and I think that my state and others like it should raise the age of consent so that situations like the one I used as an example are rendered illegal.
Ocixon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: How certain is ANN that they're still communicating with the same person, and not someone associated with Mills posing as Duncan?

If Duncan handed over his e-mail as part of an agreement, that account could then be used to say anything on his behalf. It wouldn't be unusual in a defamation case. The cease and desist reportedly instructed him to stop contacting Mills' employers or contractors. The best way to know the full extent of the damage would be to log on and check. The address published on Twitter by someone claiming to be Duncan was disposable so everything they would want would be in there.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
As someone who lives in Ohio, I also think that the age of consent is too low. I prefer it being 18 in my opinion, because the way it is now, technically a 30 year-old adult sleeping with a 16 year-old teen could be considered legal under Ohio law. This has never sat right with me, and I think that my state and others like it should raise the age of consent so that situations like the one I used as an example are rendered illegal.

Same over in New Jersey where Media Blasters (the studio that recorded/released Holy Knight which Daman was the lead voice star of in 2015) is located.
#icyermc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
#icyermc wrote:
You guys really should not be speculating whether or not this specific article was true - you guys said believe the victims, now it is time to believe Duncan on the fabrication.

Weren't all of your other posts(and your account in general) solely spent in the other related thread trying to claim it was defamation on Duncan's part? Of course you want folks to believe him now. Confused

No, my post in the original thread was saying that I didn’t think there was enough foolproof evidence to support Duncan‘s Claims, not that I was claiming defamation.

My first post in the second thread was talking about the Google Doc that Duncan posted about retracting claims. My second post in the second thread was talking about how people were hypothesizing that Duncan was pressured into retracting his statement even though he said he was not, and how I was agreeing with someone else’s points in one of their posts.

My account was made about a week ago when that original story did come out because I wanted to make a comment on it and I did not have an ANN account at the time.

Please don’t make assumptions.
Waterstarlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This silence is what really hurting Duncan. Even with the risk of retaliation, Duncan should have spoken up, since Daman retaliating would be an admission of guilty. Driving Daman into a corner which could hurt his public image even more that it already has. Yet Duncan did nothing. That would imply Duncan is hiding something bad about himself or that the statements were lies.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to believe anymore.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Daman Mills's fans/supporters can still have the right to support him all they want, but the man's a piece of garbage.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Like what others have said before, we don’t completely know at the moment whether or not Daman actually had done the things Duncan had accused him of doing to him, but the one thing I (and others) can agree on is that the “friendship” (in the loosest sense of the term) between 21 year-old Daman and 16 year-old Duncan just gives off super weird vibes.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
Hello other people who have been obsessively checking the forum whenever you get an email saying that someone new has posted on these threads.

This is your permission to stop and let it just sit for a few days.

You can go back and see if there are any article updates, but you don't have to follow the forum back-and-forth. Its probably giving you as much of a headache as it's been giving me.
Side note Lynzee, you DM me a venmo I will absolutely pay for the first round for the office. This has been a shitshow that y'all have had to deal with and it sucks.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:09 am Reply with quote
blooperboy wrote:
Hello other people who have been obsessively checking the forum whenever you get an email saying that someone new has posted on these threads

I feel very called out by this, but it's true. I haven't been contributing much but I've been checking constantly, when really the only voices who matter here are Daman and Duncan's.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:37 am Reply with quote
Assuming that Duncan did in fact lie about everything and that the screen-shots were staged, Duncan should be serving at least 3.5 years in prison for making this stuff-up. Now if Daman did molest Duncan, Daman should be serving at least 10 years in prison.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8