• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Says His Allegations Against Daman Mills Were Fabricated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
Even if Daman Mills appears to be legally right still doesn't mean that he is morally or ethically right.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 am Reply with quote
Well,I don't know if anyone wants to hear this but it has to be said. There are going to be people who are going to see a double standard here. They will bring up the case of Vic Mignogna. What they'll say is that this man was thrown out of the voice acting industry on what they say are dubious allegations because he's a Christian. They'll also be very suspicious of the sudden withdrawal of the allegations against Daman Mills.
These people will also say that basically Mills used his sexual orientation as a shield and his clout in the voice acting industry to suddenly make these allegations against him by this Duncan person disappear. Now,this isn't me saying this. I'm looking at this from a neutral point of view. This is what other people are going to see when they read about this case and for them,that's the view they're going to have.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:06 am Reply with quote
Even ordinary people can do evil things in anger or frustration.

Comments in this topic show exactly the damage false accusations cause. Most people here don't consider the accuser's statement as a vindication for the accused. False accusations damn you no matter what. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. You will live with the false accusations until the day you die. Probably even after.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
Unless I see multiple pieces of evidence collaborating that Duncan was indeed lying, the suspicion that this is the case of a sexual molester using his relative amount of power to silence his accuser is going to remain my first instinct and I won't ever trust the word of Daman Mills or feel comfortable listening to him in dubs until proven otherwise.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Unless I see multiple pieces of evidence collaborating that Duncan was indeed lying, the suspicion that this is the case of a sexual molester using his relative amount of power to silence his accuser is going to remain my first instinct and I won't ever trust the word of Daman Mills or feel comfortable listening to him in dubs until proven otherwise.

Is that how you would like to be treated? You have to prove your innocence, not your accusers proving your guilt?

Duncan said he lied. People lie, cheat, and steal all the time. Do you really think Duncan is going to provide you all the evidence he lied, especially if that evidence could be used in a criminal or civil trial against him.

Sometimes guilt does make people come to their senses, though sometimes it takes years for that to happen, or they live with the guilt.

If you are falsely accused of something, by a vindictive neighbor, by an angry ex-spouse, or by a jealous co-worker, is that really how you want to be treated?
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:40 am Reply with quote
Yikes looks like this story is just beginning. Either way, I'm no longer giving Daman Mills the time of day. He's made his bed so now he'll lie in it.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
#icyermc wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
#icyermc wrote:
You guys really should not be speculating whether or not this specific article was true - you guys said believe the victims, now it is time to believe Duncan on the fabrication.

Weren't all of your other posts(and your account in general) solely spent in the other related thread trying to claim it was defamation on Duncan's part? Of course you want folks to believe him now. Confused

No, my post in the original thread was saying that I didn’t think there was enough foolproof evidence to support Duncan‘s Claims, not that I was claiming defamation.

My first post in the second thread was talking about the Google Doc that Duncan posted about retracting claims. My second post in the second thread was talking about how people were hypothesizing that Duncan was pressured into retracting his statement even though he said he was not, and how I was agreeing with someone else’s points in one of their posts.

My account was made about a week ago when that original story did come out because I wanted to make a comment on it and I did not have an ANN account at the time.

Please don’t make assumptions.

It is incredibly suspicious, as is every 1-2 post account popping up in these threads. It happens every time a case like this breaks in the news, and it's almost always new accounts trying to defend the accused/dismiss the victim. It's happened enough in the past that I have to take those posts with a grain of salt. Sorry.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly not sure what to think any more.
Waterstarlight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
Something doesn’t make sense. Duncan had the upper hand. He had physical evidence and an admission from Daman, and if Daman had pressured Duncan into silence, that would be an admission of guilt by Daman especially since the case was made public and Daman has a public image to consider.. So why did Duncan back down? It makes no sense.
kazamatsuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding unbearable, I'm going to say "I TOLD YOU SO." It's not that hard to figure out really. All you need to do is apply a little base knowledge as to how people act in certain situation. It's like I said, I saw the red flags in Duncan's original story.

I will apologize for one thing though. I was incredibly harsh towards the ANN community members and staff in the other thread, and I regret that. I understand wanting to give deference to to an alleged victim in sexual abuse cases. That fact that this turned out to be a hoax though shouldn't change that. I also want to give ANN staff tremendous credit --- SEE BELOW.

Like other have said, situations like this give people ammunition to doubt anyone who comes forward to say they were sexually abused in any way. And again, it highlights the trope that all gay people are pedophiles. I'm not just saying this out of thin air. If you look on Youtube for example, the same cluster of people who are going after Daman were defending another voice actor who had so much more evidence against him, including a grifter who started a GOFUNDME to spearhead an ill-fated lawsuit against his accusers. And it seems Duncan played into that trope with his original story.

You'll notice in his Google Doc that Duncan went out of his way to emphasize that the incidents took place when he was "under 18." But he failed to do his research. Turns out, the age of consent in Ohio is 16, which would have been his identifiable age (at the very least) when the first instance of sexual contact took place. And this is where I give ANN credit. Unlike Duncan, they actually did their due diligence and noted in the original piece the age of consent in Ohio. If they had not done so, Duncan may have been able to drag this facade for moths out. It would seem based on the C & D Letter sent by Daman's attorney that Duncan had stalking him for months before any of this came out, and had been calling (and/or emailing) into his workplaces to put out the same information he put out to ANN. I glad these articles are out, even if it is a temporary inconvenience to Daman.

In fact, given that Duncan lied about everything else, I wonder if he also lied about his actual age as well to give the illusion of Daman being a pedophile. And yes, it's pretty clear now that the private messages were fabricated. I didn't want to go there before even though it was in the back of my mind. Even though I defended Daman on the actual charges of sexual abuse, I had questions about his past judgments in his personal relationships. But it actually seems that Duncan was the aggressive party in the relationship. The only mistake Daman made was being in a relationship with someone he thought was a decent human being.

So what happened next? Apparently, Duncan must have realized that things were getting out of hand, and that his fabrications would only come back to haunt him. So he make a retraction hoping to brush everything under the rug, and this is his thought process.

Quote:
Honestly, the thing I want more than anything is just for the article to be taken down

Instead of course, ANN published the retraction. Then, as people speculate that Duncan was [bullied] into retracting by Daman's attorney and things got even more out of hand. Then of course, he admits that he fabricated the whole thing, which ANN also published.

No ANN should leave all three articles up, because its evidence of what took place. If Daman wishes to press charges, that's up to him.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
While I myself was guilty of doing this earlier on in this situation, it’s unsurprising that there are still so many people here coming to conclusions one way or the other. I get it; we all just want this mess to end. But as I’ve said before, I think there’s way more to all this than meets the eye, and we should wait until we know all sides of the situation before we make a concrete decision as to who to believe.

After thinking about this whole thing some more over the past few days, I have quite a few thoughts, including ones I haven’t discussed here yet. I’m planning to share them here in this thread a bit later.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
@ASAnime6 wrote:
I don't want to go deep in this, but maybe Mills threatened "Duncan" even more to force Duncan tell ANN this so that Mills still has fans' trust ?

Yeah Mills is so rich and powerful he had armed goons abduct 'Duncan'. Wait this is reality not a TV show and Mills isn't wealthy.
society is worse than u think , fam . also i didn't say the stuff u mentioned like money and gangs etc . he seemed to be his old friend so he might have some stuff that he can pressure with etc . and he is a VA . pretty sure he has some tough lawyers there that can scare duncan up
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Assuming that Duncan did in fact lie about everything and that the screen-shots were staged, Duncan should be serving at least 3.5 years in prison for making this stuff-up. Now if Daman did molest Duncan, Daman should be serving at least 10 years in prison.
I remember like the manager of this site or something saying none of them would face jail and it would have just ended with paying some money
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
onefiveeightseven wrote:
In the end, hopefully Daman's friends and roommates (I'm fairly sure he lives with some people in casting and other voice actors?!) will help him and we won't see him cancelled from the industry for these false allegations. He is too well connected for this to hold him down, and his chosen family will stand by him. I would hope. He has been treated unfairly.

I sure as hell hope he gets cancelled. False claims like this not only potentially can ruin someone's life but make it more difficult for real victims to have their voices heard. Making false harassment claims is not a victimless crime.

Edit: I seem to have made a pretty huge error here and misread Daman as Duncan in the post I quoted. Sorry about that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
kazamatsuri wrote:
In fact, given that Duncan lied about everything else, I wonder if he also lied about his actual age as well to give the illusion of Daman being a pedophile. And yes, it's pretty clear now that the private messages were fabricated. I didn't want to go there before even though it was in the back of my mind. Even though I defended Daman on the actual charges of sexual abuse, I had questions about his past judgments in his personal relationships. But it actually seems that Duncan was the aggressive party in the relationship. The only mistake Daman made was being in a relationship with someone he thought was a decent human being.

By definition, it would be "ephebophile" not "pedophile". Now, I am willing to admit that maybe Duncan lied about lying (he was actually molested) and that Daman is a sexual creep. However, I lean more towards Duncan pulling the false sexual assault-type card.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8