• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaydens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
Last night i found top 10 horror anime series at http://topanime.info/top-10-horror-anime-series/
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Apparently only licensed shows made that list which puts shows like Mononoke and Mouryou no Hako right out. Bakeneko was licensed, but the other shows in the same anthology were nowhere near as compelling.

Personally I don't consider Ghost Hound a "horror" story, though I still rank it fairly highly on my all-time list. I find the material on neuroscience and mysticism more interesting.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
I was just reading through this old thread, and noticed a couple of IMO notable omissions, both of which are period stories.

The first is the OVA series "The Hakkenden," about a group of eight warriors who are drawn together by a curse from a past life. It's just as much a samurai adventure as it is a horror story, but the horror scenes are pretty effective when they're used. The episode that involves a pair of lost flutes is filled with beautiful autumn imagery, and makes excellent Halloween viewing.

The second is "Blood Reign" (aka "Yoma! Curse of the Undead" on VHS). This is a story of two ninja -- one flees his village after being possessed by supernatural forces; the other is sent to track and kill him. There are only two episodes, but it tells a decent story with a lot of gore and some genuine creepiness, especially in the first episode. An underrated gem of the late, lamented OVA boom.

Also...off topic, but the 1950's live action film "Kwaidan" is must-see viewing if you like ghost stories of old Japan.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Jaydens wrote:
Last night i found top 10 horror anime series at http://topanime.info/top-10-horror-anime-series/

High School of the Dead being on the list made me laugh. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Last edited by Ignatz on Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Wars. This anime is the finest of its genre. Just beautiful. It should not be missed.

HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING. Anime hyper

Quote:
The second is "Blood Reign" (aka "Yoma! Curse of the Undead" on VHS). This is a story of two ninja -- one flees his village after being possessed by supernatural forces; the other is sent to track and kill him. There are only two episodes, but it tells a decent story with a lot of gore and some genuine creepiness, especially in the first episode. An underrated gem of the late, lamented OVA boom.

Holy crap, I remember that preview from waaaaaaaaaay back that was on one of my tapes!
It looked so creepy!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Vampire Wars. This anime is the finest of its genre. Just beautiful. It should not be missed.

HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING. Anime hyper

Maybe if it had looked more like this... (the first volume of the novel reissues).

RE: Blood Reign
Quote:
Holy crap, I remember that preview from waaaaaaaaaay back that was on one of my tapes! It looked so creepy!

Oh yeah, they used that creepy counting song in it IIRC. The first ep is a pretty darn good horror story. The second has more fighting, though between the two of them you do get a complete story.

Another good, short horror OVA is Vampire Princess Miyu. I don't know how the TV series turned out, but the OVAs were really beautifully drawn.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Maybe if it had looked more like this... (the first volume of the novel reissues).

Whoa, WUT! The girl looks like Saber...is that Type-Moon's artwork!?

Quote:
Another good, short horror OVA is Vampire Princess Miyu. I don't know how the TV series turned out, but the OVAs were really beautifully drawn.

Yes, I love that OVA. Beautiful and tragic...I think it was the very first vampire anime I saw (because I was too squeamish to watch D. Anime hyper)
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Whoa, WUT! The girl looks like Saber...is that Type-Moon's artwork!?

Sure is. All of Kiyoshi Kasai's "Vampire Wars" novels were reissued awhile back with Type-Moon covers. The same was also done for his "Psychic Wars" books (which are the source material of another unbeloved OVA). Never read anything by Kasai, so no idea if the books are any better or worse than the anime.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I respectfully submit that that Flowers of Evil is a good horror -- we just do not know exactly what will become of the protagonist. Never has dull silence been so sublime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
^
With flowers of Evil, I felt compelled to describe it as social horror. Horror around not life threatening consequences but social life consequences. An interesting concept.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
^
With flowers of Evil, I felt compelled to describe it as social horror. Horror around not life threatening consequences but social life consequences. An interesting concept.

That's what I called the non-puzzle parts of the PS3 game Catherine, actually. Social horror. Basically, not counting what the setting of the game involves, this type of situation is a horrible pit many people fall into and the repeated wrecking of their lives and ever-present dread felt at any time you're interacting with an involved person (the number of which keep growing and growing) makes for some fantastic horror IMO.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
There are different definitions of "horror". I think "scary" is probably the lowest form of horror, as people who complain about shows not being scary seem to mean they don't have lots of jump-scares. The jump reaction is just an autonomic response. I'm more interested in horror that unnerves you at a deep level, and makes you think "Something is deeply Wrong here".

Boogiepop Phantom - dark and moody, a collection of very spooky stories caused by a mysterious incident in town, threaded on the friendships of a group of highschool girls. Best to watch it quickly, as the format makes it hard to keep straight in your head otherwise.

Hellsing - a vampire works for a secret anti-monster organisation. For me the TV series is more properly horror than the OVA, which is more about the fights.

Gantz - quite a dark, bleak show about people who are forced to kill monsters and fight to the death, while the cause of their situation remains mysterious.

When They Cry / Higurashi - as previously mentioned. It's not actually a hugely gory show - it's the psychological aspects that really create the horror.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime - a bit more urban fantasy than outright horror, but has a dark mood, mysteries and vampires.

Fringe recommendations:

Shigurui: Death Frenzy - maybe not the greatest show, but it certainly qualifies according to my definition of dark mood and horrible feeling of Wrongness.

Texhnolyze - overall it's debatable whether this is horror, but that first episode certainly qualifies.

Gunslinger Girl - innocent girls turned into cyborg assassins. Probably a controversial recommendation, but for me the underlying disturbing quality of the situation qualifies it as horror.

Princess Tutu - this is even more of a fringe recommendation, but there's something about the dark grandeur and heightened emotion of the series as it progresses that makes me feel it's worth mentioning.

Perhaps contrary to the spirit of the thread, here are some shows I would recommend against:

Ghost Hunt - a lot of people here have recommended this show, but, while it had potential, for me it became ploddingly slow and boring. The arcs were too drawn out, and the "scary" stuff didn't do anything for me. I'd recommend the similarly-named Ghost Hound as a much better show.

Shiki - again, many recommend this, but for me the emotions felt too soap opera-ish, the plot too contrived. But at least it wasn't as irritating as High School of the Dead, with its overdone fanservice and shrill complaining female characters.

Another - I only saw the 1st ep, but felt that the scene where the students gather in the hospital room to dump a truckload of exposition was badly written.

Supernatural - no-one's mentioned this yet, though it should qualify. Based on the live-action US series, it missed the point and wasn't very good.

HaruhiToy wrote:
They ruined this with the ginourmous-breast character designs, but Divergence Eve was also quite creepy with its ghouls. They did that part right.
Yes, I had the same impression, and for years have been meaning to rewatch this.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Shiki is definitely my favorite horror anime. The mystery, the frightening atmosphere, the psychological horror of anticipation, and the brutal depictions of human nature. Shiki's the way to go when looking for horror.

Shiki had me up late watching each episode, that and Ghost Hunt, were very good series. That Labyrinth storyarc had me at the edge of my seat. Both of those series were based on light novels written by Fuyumi Ono who's most famous work is probably 12 Kingdoms, and those three series were the only ones turned into anime as far as I know.
Lost_Obscurity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, this thread has been dormant.
For whatever two cents it may be worth, I think I'll break the unwritten rule and post about Genocyber. While I would not count it as good, per say, it does have an at least interesting (that word being used cautiously) take on the horror genre, combining it with several cyberpunk elements. A fair warning, though, is that it is '90s anime in the worst possible ways with its excessively graphic and borderline sadistic content. It will unnerve.
Also, I have heard that Blue Gender is an interesting take on it as well. I cannot vouch for how good or bad it is, but it does combine Mech and Horror with a Dystopian air.
Buttonspaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I realize that I'm quite late for this thread, but hopefully it'll still be taken into consideration. I've watched many horror/gore anime's and I'm struggling to find new ones.

Corpse Party - Tortured Souls OVAI would definitely say that if you're looking for a straight up gore/horror/pyschological anime, this is your one. Through the entire anime, you witness death and psychological trauma, this is a hardcore anime for only the most dedicated of horror lovers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6