• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World War II Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a history junky and I was wondering if there was any animes about WWII or WWI?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Monster makes a few references to WWII. While the setting of the series is actually in 1990s Germany/Czechoslovakia, there are a lot of Neo-Nazis and former generals/researchers/other people from around that time. I wouldn't say the information they give is historically accurate, but it makes for great story and plotwists Wink.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is not only the definitive WWII anime movie, but it's regarded by some movie critics as one of the all-time great WWII movies of any type. (It's also one of the highest-rated anime titles here on ANN.) It's a powerful, heart-breaking movie about the devastating impact the war has on two children on the Japanese home front. It's also commonly-available on DVD.

Barefoot Gen is a movie about a boy who live in Hiroshima at the time of its A-bombing. Haven't seen that one, so I can't attest to its quality. Some sources say it's out on DVD in the U.S., but if it is, I've never seen a copy of it. It was out on VHS at one point many years ago, so you might be able to find a copy of that somewhere.

Key parts of the movie Millenium Actress take place immediately before and during WWII.

Last edited by Key on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Grave of the Fireflies is not only the definitive WWII anime movie, but it's regarded by some movie critics as one of the all-time great WWII movies of any type. (It's also one of the highest-rated anime titles here on ANN.) It's a powerful, heart-breaking movie about the devstating impact the war has on two children on the Japanese home front. It's also commonly-available on DVD.

It's also the kind of movie you only watch once. I saw it, and it was very, VERY good, but I have no intention of ever seeing it again.

While I haven't seen it myself, I have heard a bit about Zipang! It has something to with some modern day Japanese battleship being transported back to WWII Japan. I think.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Barefoot Gen is a movie about a boy who live in Hiroshima at the time of it A-bombing. Haven't seen that one, so I can't attest to its quality. Some sources say it's out on DVD in the U.S., but if it is, I've never seen a copy of it. It was out on VHS at one point many years ago, so you might be able to find a copy of that somewhere.
The creator of the manga of Barefoot Gen was in Hiroshima when the A-Bomb dropped. So the story is a an account to the event from his point of view.

On of the Spriggan Mangas was dealing with some Neo Nazi. However i found it was rather piss poor.spoiler[It turns out that Hilter survived WWII by making a clones. This I could buy because it not the first time i have seen this plot before. However the part where Hilter had a split personality disorder where one of them was a harsh dictator, the other was his nice gentle man, i found to complete and utter bushshit.]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
While I haven't seen it myself, I have heard a bit about Zipang! It has something to with some modern day Japanese battleship being transported back to WWII Japan. I think.

Not a battleship, but a Kongou-class Aegis guided missle destroyer named Mirai (みらい, "Future").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Not a battleship, but a Kongou-class Aegis guided missle destroyer named Mirai (みらい, "Future").

I find it scary that you that... WHAT ARE YOU PLOTTING?!

I also put my bid in for Grave Of the Fireflies, it was the only anime taht brought a tear to my eye, although the version i saw didn't have the best visual's, it was still a very tragic/heartbreaking movie. Watch it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
My guess is that there won't be too many anime involving WW2; for Japan, it wasn't exactly the romantized "Great War" that we experienced in the U.S. I do know that Steel Angel Kurumi takes place in the same era as World War I, more or less, and I believe that there are some references to the militaries of the West and the "Great War."
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Even though it is a destroyer by modern standards, don't some of the WWII characters call it a light cruiser? Anyway, Zipang appears to be quite historically and technically accurate, even acknowledging that the Mirai's Block II Harpoon SSMs can't be used against land targets without the GPS satellites in orbit.
deathworld_dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
Hey

Steel Angel Kurumi is based during ww1, "During Japan's Taisho Era (1912-1926)" has fights and miner involvment with the Imperial Army but latter goes off topic with robots,Comedy and so on. But I enjoy it and owned a copy for some time.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
dormcat wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

As we've already established in other threads, dormcat is plotting to take over the world -- true to form for a mad scientist.

While we're waiting to welcome our new Taiwanese overlord, allow me to add another anime to the list of WWII-related stories: The Cockpit, a trio of Leiji Matsumoto stories from the war. I bought it the other day in a double-pack edition with Digital Devil. It was remaindered for the awesome price of 25 DKK, or about 4 USD. A price like that can't be beaten.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Efan wrote:

As we've already established in other threads, dormcat is plotting to take over the world -- true to form for a mad scientist.

Giving the number of numerous Heiki Musume (personification of real world weapons into anime-styled cute girls) around (like here), I found it very strange as if I'm the only MilOta at ANN. Rolling Eyes

angel_lover wrote:
Even though it is a destroyer by modern standards, don't some of the WWII characters call it a light cruiser?

Spruance/Kidd/Ticonderoga were all based on the same hull, yet two former ones were regarded as destroyers (DDG) but the latter was designated as a cruiser (CG). The line between destroyer and light cruiser is fading.

angel_lover wrote:
Anyway, Zipang appears to be quite historically and technically accurate, even acknowledging that the Mirai's Block II Harpoon SSMs can't be used against land targets without the GPS satellites in orbit.

Much better than previous work by the same artist -- Silent Service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

While we're waiting to welcome our new Taiwanese overlord, allow me to add another anime to the list of WWII-related stories: The Cockpit, a trio of Leiji Matsumoto stories from the war.

- abunai

In fact, to the best of my knowledge, The Cockpit is the only anime released in the US that specifically deals with WWII warfighting - even if two of the three stories in it are fairly fanciful, and one of them is entirely in the realm of alternate history.

In addition, Arcadia of my Youth includes a flashback sequence to the last days of World War II on the Western front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
Efan wrote:

Giving the number of numerous Heiki Musume (personification of real world weapons into anime-styled cute girls) around (like here), I found it very strange as if I'm the only MilOta at ANN. Rolling Eyes

Well, I'm a borderline case. I find the weaponry interesting, but my main interest is in military strategy, tactics and philosophy. I'm quite well read on the subject.

BTW, some of those heiki musume are really well-designed. I like the one based on the Tu-22M.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Even though it is a destroyer by modern standards, don't some of the WWII characters call it a light cruiser? Anyway, Zipang appears to be quite historically and technically accurate...

I'd rate what's depicted in the show as being "somewhat to reasonably" accurate in regards to ships. But I'm being nit-picky. In the second episode the Mirai is depicted splitting the seam between two Toku-gata like IJN destroyers. I can't replicate the scene using 1/700 scale models as the far side (starboard) destroyer would be concealed behind the DDG. In the third episode the Mirai is mistakenly identified as a Takao class heavy cruiser. I pulled out my partially built 1/700 JMSDF DDG Chokai (same hull and bridge as the Mirai) and set it next to a completed 1/700 IJN Maya (Takao class cruiser). The Chokai has a shorter, beamier hull, a taller and more massive foremast and a larger bridge superstructure than a Takao.

The ship that had me scratching my head the most was the USS Wasp shown later in the series. To me it was essentially a short bow Essex class carrier with flight deck level twin 5" gun houses replaced by open quad 40s. But it was wearing the CV-7 Wasp's Measure 12 mod pattern. Cute.

[EDIT: Those of you who are considering this post as necroposting, please do not report it. While it is old, I'd like to keep this thread around for reference since the subject of WWII anime isn't discussed very often. Thanks. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2