• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I'm still cautious due to the number of episodes that all the websites have listed (I still can't find an OFFICIAL SOURCE that lists only 26 episodes, just a bunch of speculation).

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009ES4KNW

Its listed at 26 episodes on Amazon, with the DVD/BD Solicitations. That doesn't mean its a guarantee they'll do Refrain in that 26 episodes, though... and 26 is the best case scenario. Late night timeslots don't go over 2 cour, so its not like they would have been able to announce 39 or whatever to begin with.

Hmm if it's 26 episodes then they might be able cover half the series much like they did with clannad/after story. Given's people reactions so far I'll have to check this out once I get stable internet again "I'm currently using McDonald wifi atm"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
So if you're avoiding them because you're worried about being scared, don't.

I wouldn't say I'm "avoiding". Like I said, I want to see them. Part of me is just hesitant. It doesn't mean I'm never going to. But don't worry, sooner or later I will see these films. I want to. I want to learn about good filmmaking if I'm aspiring towards animation.

Hypeathon, I suggest you check out Rear Window, since the story's about a home-bound guy spying on his neighbors and gradually suspecting that one of them might've killed their wife - i.e., the murder happened off-screen. Interesting for its use of a single set (just what can be seen from the guy's window), and enjoyable for the great actors and witty banter, with just a bit of thriller quality mixed in.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
So if you're avoiding them because you're worried about being scared, don't.

I wouldn't say I'm "avoiding". Like I said, I want to see them. Part of me is just hesitant. It doesn't mean I'm never going to. But don't worry, sooner or later I will see these films. I want to. I want to learn about good filmmaking if I'm aspiring towards animation.

Hypeathon, I suggest you check out Rear Window, since the story's about a home-bound guy spying on his neighbors and gradually suspecting that one of them might've killed their wife - i.e., the murder happened off-screen. Interesting for its use of a single set (just what can be seen from the guy's window), and enjoyable for the great actors and witty banter, with just a bit of thriller quality mixed in.

Rear window is a piece that would be really good if you dislike horor I think.
I would be really interested in seeing the budget for little busters, because it's a show that should be a sure fire hit as long as they handle the branches properally....
the show should easily have twice it's current budget I would guess.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Hypeathon, I suggest you check out Rear Window, since the story's about a home-bound guy spying on his neighbors and gradually suspecting that one of them might've killed their wife - i.e., the murder happened off-screen.

I actually saw the trailer for that last week and the concept of voyeurism seems strange, but it it intrigued me at the same time. So it's definitely on my radar. I'll be sure to watch that after North by Northwest, so thanks. In fact, now that you mentioned it, that sounded like a scene from Eden of the East: The King of Eden. Though it wouldn't surprise me if that was influenced from Rear Window since much of Eden of the East in general revovles around creatively applying movie homages.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
>OniiAi reviews

>No mention of Kido Ibuki's fantastic performance as a 14 year old rookie seiyuu

>gets a lower score overall than BTOOOM
Konopan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Carl Kimlinger
He firmly believes that his love of outrageous exploitation sleaze and anything that makes him cry like a little girl will be a great asset in leading the free world.

So I'm assuming campy stuff just doesn't land anywhere between either of those things?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

>No mention of Kido Ibuki's fantastic performance as a 14 year old rookie seiyuu

Its kinda unrealistic to expect any harem show, even an above average one, to get a good review here. Or for the reviewers to even care about the seiyuu in these shows.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, I think it is time for a summary on everything I've watched so far.

From the New World: I really can't say much based on only one episode. Loved the animation in that one sequence. That's really all I have to add to my attitude from before I saw it: Has a lot of potential. We'll see if it lives up to it.

Blast of Tempest: Still feeling fairly positive here. The choice to tell the first half of the episode in such a jumbled manner was obviously a mistake. Hopefully it will prove to be a one off thing though. Everything else was excellent. That fight especially was really nicely done.

BTOOOM: I refuse to let the internet ruin this show for me. I don't care what horrid turns it might take. The first episode was good. I like it. I'm gonna watch more. If it get horrible, I'll stop. But for now I remain determinedly enthusiastic.

K: Sublimely stupid and clearly designed by committee to appeal to every group of fans out there. Yet, it's not without its own goofy appeal. It has a certain energy that I couldn't help but get into and the action scenes are very smooth too. I would be surprised if I finish this show but I'll at least stick with it for a while longer so long as it doesn't get bogged down in story.

Code: Breaker: That was...good. Shocked Heck, that was really good. I mean, there's nothing terribly original here but boy was it well executed. This show really seems to understand those little things (that so many shows these days don't get) that allow you to tell an effective story that draws the viewer in. It seems to have dodged a lot of the pitfalls I expected it to fall into. I mean, I thought for sure we'd get a boring, ineffectual female lead but that couldn't be further from the truth. She's actually really forceful (and can kick some serious ass). Ogami is also extremely badass. I like too that he seems like a nice guy on the surface. Once again I had wrongfully expected they usual "jackass on the surface who turns out to be a good guy underneath" trope but if anything the opposite is true (I'm very curious to see where they go with this). Very nice orchestral score also. And there's even a decent sense of humour to boot.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Busou Shinki - A piece of fluff on a day filled with angsty shows. I'll probably watch it if I'm bored. Trial Run.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! + Chuu2Koi! Lite - As a survivor of chuunibyou, the jokes hit so hard. Watching.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - I tried it out based on the hype, even though I generally dislike "manly man" anime. Not bad, but not for me. Dropped.

Kamisama Hajimemashita - I've loved all of Akitaroh Daichi's previous shoujo romances, and I don't see why this one would break the trend. Watching.

Little Busters! - Good enough that I might not whine about KyoAni every week. Watching.

My Little Monster - Pretty funny and the female lead is great. Watching.

Shin Sekai yori - Speculative fiction with deeper themes always catches my eye. Watching.

Zetsuen no Tempest - Kind of long-winded, but the plot could go somewhere interesting. I'll see how noitaminA is this season before deciding whether to continue. Trial Run.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Which, I will remind you, you haven't actually watched.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Not to run too wild on the Hitchcock tangent, but:

-if you don't like horror, "North by Northwest" is indeed a great place to start.
-"Psycho" and "The Birds" are the only ones I'd really classify as horror.
-"Vertigo" is all kinds of twisted and brilliant.
-"Strangers on a Train" is suspense at its finest.

Back to new anime: a show started airing last week in my town called "Ebi-ten." It was yet another high school show with a bunch of girls where nobody acted like a real human being. Everyone seemed obsessed with Saint Seiya references and cosplay, making me wish I was watching Saint Seiya--or even Saint Seiya Omega--instead.
TC-man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
I hate to said it, but is there a rule that if an anime scores low (=0) in the preview then it's okay to spoil the story for others who may like the anime show and/or light novels? I am speaking about the preview of "Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kono Nai yo ne" by Bamboo. I don't know how early this "secret" is revealed in the light novels of the same title, but that secret is still not revealed in the anime yet. It's also totally unnecessary to spoil it for others who may like or not like the show. So, please, remove the spoiler!

Anyway, anime shows to following in my list this season (for the time-being):
- Kami-sama Hajimemashita;
- Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun;
- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

You have got to be kidding me with this.

If we're down to "your reviews are invalid because you don't know the same factoids about the Japanese entertainment industry as I do", then you're really reaching, man.

Some seiyuu you were paying attention to having a role in a show doesn't mean somehow EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE TALKING ABOUT THAT nor does that have anything to do with the actual quality of the show itself.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

BTOOOM! had an exceptionally well executed first episode. You would know this if you actually watched it. As IKC pointed out, I don't care how bad it gets, I liked the first episode a lot most of the other shows this season so far, I'm gonna watch more and judge for myself whether or not it gets reprehensible.

They aren't criticizing the whole show, they do it based on the first episode.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Some seiyuu you were paying attention to having a role in a show doesn't mean somehow EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE TALKING ABOUT THAT nor does that have anything to do with the actual quality of the show itself.

The fact that this is her debut role (and I had no idea about this or even who she was until I watched the episode, I was hardly paying attention to her!) is pretty notable, considering the quality of her performance.

I do think this is perhaps not the best role for someone who only turns 15 next month, but thats an entirely separate issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 55