• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crusher Joe

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soapman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
I just purchased Crusher Joe from Animeigo. It has the Crusher Joe movie and 2 OVAs. I've always read about this series and always wanted to see it. I'm really a fan of Anime done in the 80s.
Overall I liked the DVD. I thought the movie was good but too long. It really took too long to get to the climax of the movies. The OVAs were very good and just the right time (almost a hour).
As far as the characters, Crusher Joe and Talos were interesting but Alfin and Ricky were more annoying than enjoyable. I was wondering if anyone else has seen Crusher Joe and their opinion on it
MilkManX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I love Crusher Joe. Yeah the movie drags just a bit in the middle but its awesome. The OVA's have a better grasp on the pacing. It was definatley a huge influence on the guys that made Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I hate those stupid Eye Catches that keep poping up on the OAVs. The film is a masterpiece in my book. It really Yasuhiko's baby since he directed, wrote the script and screenplay, did the storyboards, character designs and the animation directing. I'm also a huge fan of Arion and Venus Wars (both with a great Joe Hisaishi BGM) that followed Crusher Joe. It saddens me to see how poorly he is received in the US. I've at this point given up hope in a R1 release for Giant Gorg and am having a hard time tracking down an R2 version even though it was only released last year.

It goes without saying that the Zanbot/Gundam team (Yas, Tomino, and Okawara) really influenced Sunrise (and other studios too) projects to this day. Yas is one of my favorite animation directors adn I'm sad that he hasn't directed in such a long time. His organic style, and grasp of fluid motion reminds me of Rin Taro. Check out Venus wars if you like Joe.
Boomer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Didn't the Dirty Pair make its first appearance in the Crusher Joe movie? Having seen the OVAs and the three movies that make up that show, I am a huge fan of the franchise. I am wondering how Crusher Joe compares to its Dirty Pair spinoff.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Didn't the Dirty Pair make its first appearance in the Crusher Joe movie? Having seen the OVAs and the three movies that make up that show, I am a huge fan of the franchise. I am wondering how Crusher Joe compares to its Dirty Pair spinoff.

Crusher Joe is much more serious and much more of a space opera than Dirty Pair, which Takachiho didn't control as much and the animated version became more of a parody comedy series. However, I've read the one translated book (unfortunately doesn't hold up well technology-wise. Heat Guns?) and it was definitely funnier compared to Crusher Joe.

Not that Crusher Joe didn't have it's funny moments. Can anyone say "fight in the disco"?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:

This is true. The version of the Dirty Pair which is playing in a drive in is closer to the novel version of the characters. Yas did the cover art for the books which were not as light hearted as the Dirty Pair anime.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
I ran across clips of a very old Crusher Joe dub in some footage from a con years and years ago and never really came across it since then until AnimEigo had them on sale here recently.

I must say, I'm kinda mad I waited so long to see this series because I absolutely love it. Randall Miyashiro's analysis is spot on. I also highly recommend Venus Wars as a companion to this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1