• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rumbling Hearts DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I'm suprised no one has specifically mentioned yet that throughout the review, Takayuki's name is misspelt "Takiyuki".

...and which somehow made me think of something between "takoyaki" and "taiyaki".
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Y'know, I'm suprised no one has specifically mentioned yet that throughout the review, Takayuki's name is misspelt "Takiyuki".

...and which somehow made me think of something between "takoyaki" and "taiyaki".

Embarassed

That's been corrected.

who_is_friend: Both the subtitles and dub use "cat crap" instead of the phrase you mentioned.

KAtchan15: We're going to have to agree to disagree about the dub. I found it quite satisfactory.

Hmm, I always thought this series had gotten more positive feedback than this. Didn't expect all this ragging on it. But I can see how this could easily swing back to being soap opera-y in the upcoming volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm just surprised no one mentioned it earlier. ^_^;;

As for the reaction... Kiminozo is definitely a "love it or hate it" series. Virtually everyone I've ever talked to about it seems to fall into one or the other. And generally, the critics seem to be most vocal.

Personally... not my favorite, and not really my style, but I enjoyed it. Unlike most romance/possibly harem-themed series, Kiminozo didn't make me want to smack some sense into half the cast. (well, except for that doctor, but that's another story...) Because even when they did stupid things, they at least did something. And they generally did whatever they thought was the best option for the situation as they personally saw it. And that, to me, was a very nice breath of fresh air after seeing things like, for example, Onegai Teacher, where the characters' general inability to notice or DO anything annoyed me to no end. Kiminozo has an element of realism in the characters' reactions and choices, I thought.

Of course, I think it's exactly that that turns so many people off to the series- I suspect that for many, it hits too hard on those all too human mistakes and failings, and thus ceases to be a fantasy escape.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

who_is_friend: Both the subtitles and dub use "cat crap" instead of the phrase you mentioned.

KAtchan15: We're going to have to agree to disagree about the dub. I found it quite satisfactory..

All this talk about Takoyaki is making me hungry. I believe (if memory serves) that the phrase is neko unko which I would also translate as crap, doo doo or poo. Unko is one of those words that my parents would use around me when I was a little kid as opposed to the word kuso which feels more vulgar. I believe there is a scene in the Patlabor series where Goto also uses the line Neko Unko, but don't remember which English word is used in translation. Using $#!+ as a translation for unko seems a bit extreme, when even kuso (ie hanakuso) isn't as censored or offensive as that English word.

Now I'm curious about the dub, and might have to rewatch a couple of episodes in English. As I've stated often before, it seems weird when a bunch of Japanese kids are speaking English. The flip side of this is I am watching the Hellsing in English.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

KAtchan15: We're going to have to agree to disagree about the dub. I found it quite satisfactory..

Whaattt?!?!?! I never said this!!!! and I was very VERY UNsatified with the english dub, it was horrible! sucks! lol
Anyways, I'm still having thoughts about this anime Anime smile + sweatdrop I just want to see how the story is, from what I've heard, the plot is excellent.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Key was directing the comment toward you, not quoting you or saying you said that.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this, its very 'Telenovela' like with the plot turn after the 1st 2 eps and althought I'm more of a Sci-Fi/Mecha fan the story is very gripping. and the 2 waitresses trying to do the next ep preview is funny, specially the spoiler[Star Trek] preview of ep 6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree about the dub. I found it quite satisfactory.

I really enjoyed it myself, and I particularly liked how you mentioned Kevin Connolly (I thought he was perfect for the role, but looking at comments on the dub the male roles tended to be overlooked). Overall, the show is excellently cast. My first time hearing Leah Clark and it was neat how closely she nailed the character (definitely in the same spirit as Kaori Mizuhashi).
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Key wrote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree about the dub. I found it quite satisfactory.

I really enjoyed it myself, and I particularly liked how you mentioned Kevin Connolly (I thought he was perfect for the role, but looking at comments on the dub the male roles tended to be overlooked). Overall, the show is excellently cast. My first time hearing Leah Clark and it was neat how closely she nailed the character (definitely in the same spirit as Kaori Mizuhashi).

I agree...the VA work was pretty decent for the theme of the show. Haruka is supposed to be the timid and innocent 'squeak', Mitsuki is supposed to be the rough and tough sports girl, Takayuki is supposed to be the mellow, indecisive male...these voices fit almost to a T really.

The one issue I had, like the review stated, is the lack of extras...on top of that, FUNi seems to have mis-labled the clean closing..Hoshi no Waltz != Rumbling Hearts Razz
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
KGNE was quite soap opera-ish in retrospect but the first time I watched it, it was completely fresh and new to me so it helped with the dramatic experience as a whole.

For anyone having doubts about if you're going to like this series of not, the first volume I believe is probably going to make it or break it for you.
Love_And_Betrayal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
THANKS FOR SPOILING THE ENTIRE SERIES FOR EVERYONE, GENIUS

BUY THE DVD you'll thank me later =3
WEKS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
While I'm usually very dub critical, I must agree that Kevin C. was just amazing. The rest of them also did a good job, though the red haired girl was IMO not quite up the same standard as the rest of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
That's funny since the game and the show are actually targeted at males.

Well, that just shows how much it failed - it didn't appeal to any of my masculine sensibilities, not even on the most simpilistic levels. The women weren't even attractive, because the character designs were so generic.

So just because it didn't appeal to you, that automatically means it doesn't appeal to men? Maybe, since the majority of people who like this show are guys, you should probably re-evaluate your own masculine sensibilities. :P

key wrote:
Hmm, I always thought this series had gotten more positive feedback than this. Didn't expect all this ragging on it. But I can see how this could easily swing back to being soap opera-y in the upcoming volumes.

Well there is always a vocal minority of anime fans who just simply can't handle soap operas, and not surprisingly they are always the first ones to criticize Rumbling Hearts. Me, personally, I love dramas, and Rumbling Hearts is probably one of the best drama anime out there.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Throughout the first DVD I kept asking myself what was the appeal of Haruka. Then I saw Undeadben's post on how he sided with Haruka on the first DVD. Even during the first 2 episodes, I thought the swim team hero Mitsuki was so much cooler than the timid and ambitionless Haruka. During the other episodes of the first DVD I kept thinking about how things seem great with Mitsuki, and I can't imagine Takayuki having any interest in Haruka. Mitsuki is so nice to Takayuki and really takes care of him. The fifth episode completely won me over to Mitsuki's side. spoiler[The scenes where Takayuki is in shambles and Mitsuki ends up feeding and cleaning up for him really was what did it] I was a bit surprised to find out that there are Haruka fans out there. Where do most fans stand at least in regards to the first five episodes.

I just finished the second DVD and spoiler[Mitsuki really can't hold her liquor and is a pain when she is jealous. What she does when drunk on that last episode on the DVD made me cringe. I still write off all of her complaints and problems with Takayuki on the second DVD as a response to him being a jerk. In my opinion he should move in with her and stop visiting Haruka.]

I know which route I would take if I played the video game. This sounds a bit twisted, but is there an Akane ending in the game?
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I know which route I would take if I played the video game. This sounds a bit twisted, but is there an Akane ending in the game?

Yes, matter of fact there is basically an ending for each of the prominent female characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3