• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Little Busters, and all I can say is WOW. JC Staff has surpassed every expectation I had, at least for the first episode. This is exactly how I'd expect it to be from KyoAni, minus the massive budget and amazing animation.. and even then, the animation wasn't bad outside of the flashback part of it. I love how they even use all the same music from the original game as well. I REALLY hope JC Staff can keep up the high level that they've started with, since we'll be in for a real treat if so.

Easily a 5/5.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Just watched Little Busters, and all I can say is WOW. JC Staff has surpassed every expectation I had, at least for the first episode. This is exactly how I'd expect it to be from KyoAni, minus the massive budget and amazing animation.. and even then, the animation wasn't bad outside of the flashback part of it. I love how they even use all the same music from the original game as well. I REALLY hope JC Staff can keep up the high level that they've started with, since we'll be in for a real treat if so.

Easily a 5/5.

100% Agreed with this. I had hopes for this, but I made the mistake of playing the Visual Novel last month and I completed it last week and was blown away. After finishing the VN, my hopes for the anime dropped like a rock. After watching the first episode, I can say this:

It was 90%, word-for-word the same as the VN (so far). This is PERFECT. So far, JC Staff is doing an AMAZING job with the anime. This explains why when I went on Twitter this morning after it aired in Japan, I saw nothing but happy Japanese posts. I was very surprised, and even more now that I've seen it myself.

Personally though, I prefer the original versions of the OP and ED song but htat's not an issue at all. In conclusion, if they follow the path they are currently going with this anime, it will be AMAZING. I enjoyed LBs more than Clannad, I connected better to it. I have my doubts people will feel the same after the anime finishes just because I have doubts it will have enough episodes (26 doesnt seem like enough for the full LBs story IMO) to let people really connect to the characters, but as long as they follow the story, it will be my favorite anime in the past 5 years.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
fyi, Hitchcock movies aren't really *scary* by today's standards in most cases. They can be intense, but most of them suffer from the effects of aging-- either the special effects look too funny to be frightening (The Birds) or you've already heard so much about/seen so many parodies of them that the shock value is gone.

Well let's put it this way. There's a scene from Dial m for Murder I saw on Youtube regarding a killer and a pair of scissors. It may not be graphic, but just imagining that and how that would literally feel, I can't help but shudder a bit. If it was a cartoon, that's one thing because I used to a good number of graphic things in animation by now. Live-action however is another story for me. But I'll take your word for it about some of the visuals being odd. These were when movies were either still in black and white or just started being in color, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Quote:
So if you're avoiding them because you're worried about being scared, don't.

I wouldn't say I'm "avoiding". Like I said, I want to see them. Part of me is just hesitant. It doesn't mean I'm never going to. But don't worry, sooner or later I will see these films. I want to. I want to learn about good filmmaking if I'm aspiring towards animation.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Easily a 5/5.

See? This is why you need to wait before seeing it before calling it shit. I personally think the animation was decent and had some really good parts with a lot of fluid movement. The op really is gorgeous though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Easily a 5/5.

See? This is why you need to wait before seeing it before calling it shit. I personally think the animation was decent and had some really good parts with a lot of fluid movement. The op really is gorgeous though.

I'm not as enthusiastic, yet. I'll wait until we get into the sob stories for that, but visually this series is typical, and I miss the special KyoAni did for Key anime.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Easily a 5/5.

I'm not as enthusiastic, yet. I'll wait until we get into the sob stories for that, but visually this series is typical, and I miss the special KyoAni did for Key anime.

The special to me, was always in the story. I promise you, if they stick with the VN's story, and you enjoyed all the other KEY stories, then you will love this one. Again, assuming they keep following the story properly. I'm still cautious due to the number of episodes that all the websites have listed (I still cant find an OFFICIAL SOURCE that lists only 26 episodes, just a bunch of speculation).

It's probably better that you're not too enthusiastic, you will only enjoy it that much more if they pull through til the end.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm still cautious due to the number of episodes that all the websites have listed (I still can't find an OFFICIAL SOURCE that lists only 26 episodes, just a bunch of speculation).

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009ES4KNW

Its listed at 26 episodes on Amazon, with the DVD/BD Solicitations. That doesn't mean its a guarantee they'll do Refrain in that 26 episodes, though... and 26 is the best case scenario. Late night timeslots don't go over 2 cour, so its not like they would have been able to announce 39 or whatever to begin with.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
My little monster - Well that was weird. But very good weird. Shizuku is <3 and it had nice animation. I generally didn't mind haru so thats a plus. Probably the third best first episode of the seasons behind jojo and LB.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Little Busters!
It was amazing. I like how they stick with the battle, even the famous quote thing.
The animation looks pretty decent even though it's not as smooth as KyoAni. At least the animation and art quality isn't as nasty as Yoake Mae Ruriiro that made it unwatchable
As long as they stick to the scenario, it's good!

By the way, anyone noticed about Dorj in the opening video?
Dorj is shown, appeared on Masato's shoulder. From my recollection, I think Dorj is as big as seal, and weighs 39kg (86 lbs)
I wonder if they missed Dorj's details....

spoiler[Next week we'll have anteater, I think]
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Crap, does the fact that Key and Rebecca preiviewed OniAi mean we won't get a Zac review? Aww, shucks!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Oniai enough for that sort of show. I always need a typical harem every season, and this fills the role perfectly. I don't set unrealistic expectations, and I don't get upset. Of course I'd prefer an over the top nudity extravaganza like To LOVE-Ru Darkness any day, but it seems that it might even censored on AT-X, which means I'll be waiting patiently for the BluRays. What really saves this one for me is the eyepatch girl, reminds me of Revy Nobunaga. She's easily the best girl.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

By the way, anyone noticed about Dorj in the opening video?
Dorj is shown, appeared on Masato's shoulder. From my recollection, I think Dorj is as big as seal, and weighs 39kg (86 lbs)
I wonder if they missed Dorj's details....

spoiler[Next week we'll have anteater, I think]

spoiler[Guess all the kinniku training masato did payed off Laughing .]
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Re: BTOOOM

Possible spoilers. FYI

How lovely. I think I need brain bleach, then soul bleach.

Actually, I found a page from the Manga that's worse while I was doing a (very) little investigation into the series. I will describe it for everybody's edification, but I won't link to it for reasons that should become apparent.

*eye-stabbing content removed*

Nope. That pretty much killed whatever little interest I had in the series.

Thankfully, From the New World and Jojo sound amazing. I'm looking forward to those. I'll probably also check out Kamisama and Lady Gaga's Ardent Fans, and probably Tempest provided the reviews stay good.

I missed ya last summer, Rebecca. Glad to have you doing previews again!

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't set unrealistic expectations, and I don't get upset. Of course I'd prefer an over the top nudity extravaganza like To LOVE-Ru Darkness any day, but it seems that it might even censored on AT-X, which means I'll be waiting patiently for the BluRays.

Where did you hear this?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Easily a 5/5.

The special to me, was always in the story. I promise you, if they stick with the VN's story, and you enjoyed all the other KEY stories, then you will love this one. Again, assuming they keep following the story properly. I'm still cautious due to the number of episodes that all the websites have listed (I still can't find an OFFICIAL SOURCE that lists only 26 episodes, just a bunch of speculation).

It's probably better that you're not too enthusiastic, you will only enjoy it that much more if they pull through til the end.

After watching deen KILL umineko by not giving it a proper number of epiosdes to breath, I can agree that you don't to force the whole VN into 26 that said JC staff really seems like they won't be doing that at this point. the only thing that I noticed that they cut was the two guys fight and some of rins hilarous reaction to it. that said they seem to be doing a great job at this point. that said the show needs twice the budget because at this point it looks pretty low qaulity in general, but also at certain points. and that is not in comperasion to clannad but in comperasion to almost all theother shows this season. no other show I have ever watched has the (pardon incorrect termonolgy) frame rate drop to 10 frames per second at the very end of the opening. and you can tell they are trying to aviod showing fight scenes. that said the art doesn't matter that much actually. I give little busters 4/5 for it's first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 55