• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Some seiyuu you were paying attention to having a role in a show doesn't mean somehow EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE TALKING ABOUT THAT nor does that have anything to do with the actual quality of the show itself.

The fact that this is her debut role (and I had no idea about this or even who she was until I watched the episode, I was hardly paying attention to her!) is pretty notable, considering the quality of her performance.

Perhaps, and this may surprise you, they would rather focus on reviewing and less on pointless factoids. Or maybe they just don't care (like me)
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Definately gonna keep watching BTOOOM!, From The New World and Little Busters! (This one I played the VN so all good Very Happy)

The first episode of Little Busters was just as entertaining as its part in the VN (not very, but still good Very Happy) Next week shall be awesome Anime smile Just wanna laugh at everyone who said it would be atrocious because it's by J.C Staff. Can't wait for spoiler[all the hate people dish out when Haruka appears :L ]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
For this season so far I enjoyed the first eps of From the New World & Kamisama Kiss the best. My Little Monster wasn't bad either (except for that rape line)

I didn't like K at all. And I am highly anticipating Magi & Pyscho Pass.

Loving all the Hitchcock talk on here, it's like watching my fandoms collide.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Crapped out of Little Busters about half way through the episode. The humour was just not landing with me nor was I finding any of the characters appealing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

I missed ya last summer, Rebecca. Glad to have you doing previews again!

Thanks, Willag! I actually missed doing it, Paris notwithstanding. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Crapped out of Little Busters about half way through the episode. The humour was just not landing with me nor was I finding any of the characters appealing.

People don't watch Key anime for the humor. Where dat sadness at?!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Coming fresh off of seeing the first episode of Code Breakers, this is actually pretty good. Story is introduced in a good way (instead of say, dumping it all at once). While the story itself seems fairly run of the mill, it is exceptionally well executed. Of particular note, I thought the score was amazing and it greatly enhanced most of the more bombastic scenes from this episode. 4/5.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Actually I think it is funnier in the VN, but about the characters.... please, they're not even done introducing the other girl on the rooftop.
My first impression with CLANNAD is that the show was full of weirdos. But later I found it cute, unique and appealing. I think that how Key do their characters.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
For this season so far I enjoyed the first eps of From the New World & Kamisama Kiss the best. My Little Monster wasn't bad either.

You should enjoy Say "I Love You" as well, then. So many shojos this season ... and all pretty similar ... guess that's what japanese girls identify with.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Raneth wrote:
shiranehito wrote:
Raneth wrote:
Also, maybe it's just me, but the main character sounds almost exactly like Italy from Hetalia. I kept expecting to hear "Taskete!!"

I believe the main character from K and Italy have the same seiyuu. Daisuke Namikawa, right?

Yep. It surprised me, though. I would expect that a talented VA would want to make his characters sound different, right? I mean, this is the guy who also did the voice of Hisoka from HunterxHunter.

Yu from Persona 4 and Waver from Fate/Zero, as well. He's one of the most prolific male seiyuu these days.

Also a "Talented" seiyuu doesn't always change his or her voice. They are often selected since the studio WANTS that voice for the character and seeked him out. Its like why Rie Kugimiya uses the same voice every time... its the voice that sells.

Except when she voices Happy from Fairy Tail... Razz

Or Al from FMA/FMA: Brotherhood. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

You should enjoy Say "I Love You" as well, then. So many shojos this season ... and all pretty similar

While My Little Monster seems to have a bit of originality at least, this one looks awfully clichéd with the 'most popular boy falls for the girl nobody else likes' plot...that worked for Kimi ni Todoke but i don't see it working here, especially as the characters don't seem half as likeable.

maaya wrote:
... guess that's what japanese girls identify with.

Well, the guys get plenty of harem shows every season, so why shouldn't the girls get a bit of wish-fulfillment as well if that's what floats their boat...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Unless you have a real disgust with shows that have cute girls, you really should give Little Busters a chance. Clannads first episode wasn't great either, yet it went onto become one of the best shows (including After Story) of the last few years. Key stuff takes a couple episodes to introduce the characters since they are big casts.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Just watched Little Busters. Now, the last Key show I watched was Angel Beats, also know as the best show of 2010, and the name Little Busters is forever correlated in my mind to The Pillows' song from FLCL. So going in, I'm thinking quality, right?
I really hate this show. First, baseball. Baseball is the greatest sport on Earth. Baseball anime? Generally sucks. Baseball parodies in anime are often quite fun, but to center a show on baseball never works out good. But I could ignore the baseball part. What really is sucks is the male lead. The one thing about Key shows is that the male lead is always a real, fleshed out, interesting character. This guy? Boring, awkward pathetic dude. The same stock character from a thousand other stupid harem shows. It's only the first episode, and already I want to punch this dude in the face. I really hate him.

But mostly, LB falls victim to its own expectations. It'll probably be a middling show, better than average. But I wanted greatness. And so far, this has been boring. Jesus Christ tap-dancing on a cracker, the episode of Bottle Fairy I watched after it was more interesting.

//Although the Godly Lack of Control bit was hilarious.
///If you want games to always be interesting and exciting, I'd recommend signing José Valverde. Please, before he gives Leyland a heart attack.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Baseball anime? Generally sucks. Baseball parodies in anime are often quite fun, but to center a show on baseball never works out good.

Mind you, LB is not baseball anime. It is not centered in baseball, seriously.

Melanchthon wrote:

What really is sucks is the male lead. The one thing about Key shows is that the male lead is always a real, fleshed out, interesting character. This guy? Boring, awkward pathetic dude. The same stock character from a thousand other stupid harem shows.

Shouldn't judge the book by its cover.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Unless you have a real disgust with shows that have cute girls, you really should give Little Busters a chance. Clannads first episode wasn't great either, yet it went onto become one of the best shows (including After Story) of the last few years. Key stuff takes a couple episodes to introduce the characters since they are big casts.

I certainly don't have a disgust with shows that have cute girls. I like Key material like Angel Beats! I own, but have not watched Clannad and Clannad After Story, but I expect I'll like them. I am aware that I may not be giving LB the chance that, perhaps, ultimately it deserves. It's a funny thing - sometimes I'll stick with a show even if it's not really doing it for me and other times I just become quite decisive. LB was one of those decisive things. It's possible I will miss out on something good, but I just wasn't bonding with the show and my instinct was that it was unlikely I ever would.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 55