• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shadow Star: Narutaru

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone ever heard of this series, Shadow Star: Narutaru? I don't think it is a very popular title in the U.S. right now, but I think it could possibly be a very underrated series. I've read many reviews on this title with many of the authors talking about how brutal and violent this series is near the end. I read reviews about people describing themselves as being physically ill or actually shaking because of their shock after watching the entire series. I'm preparing to pick up this series so I can see if this series will elicit a similar response from me.

Has anyone picked up this series yet or planning to? Opinions so far of the episodes released? No spoilers please.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the series. I really wish i had never watched it.
Do Not watch that show

It is one of the most horrable things I have ever seen. I was more affected by that show then when There was the thign at on genocide at my JC that had 10ft pictures of dead mangled bodys burn victims late term aborted fetuses.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It starts out what seems to be a innocent show, and then gets darker and darker as it progresses.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
Has anyone picked up this series yet or planning to? Opinions so far of the episodes released? No spoilers please.

I've finished the entire anime and up to vol. 9 of manga. Be warned: neither is for a faint heart. However, if you are confident of your toughness, pick it up. The manga version is much more complete in storytelling, especially different philosophies life and survival -- one of the best I've ever seen, plus several touching moments. It's also a lot more graphical -- on par with Berserk; however, remember that Berserk was set in a medieval-like, sword-and-sorcery environment, but NaruTaru was set in our current time and space (well, with some strange creatures). From what I've learned, the French licensor dropped the manga at vol. 2, after they've read the notoriously bloody vol. 6.

The anime is much less graphical (after all it was aired on Kids Station, a Japanese broadcaster mostly dedicated to kid's anime -- no kidding), but watch it only if you are prepared.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of this series, Shadow Star: Narutaru? I don't think it is a very popular title in the U.S. right now,

While it has been licensed, I don't think it has actually been released yet except as fansubs. In other words a bit too early to call it unpopular.

I think one major problem with the show is that it starts off so innocently. There's no foreshadowing in the first episode and the opener makes you think of a kiddie show. Because of that some never watched more than the first episode (as a fansub). There's some foreshadowing in the next few episodes but not enough to prepare the unwary for the coming shocks. I called this a problem but in a sense it's also a masterstroke, since the contrast between fluff and terror is even greater. It basically means the reactions of the unwary will be heightened.

As for me, I had read some of the manga volumes so I knew what the first shocker would be, and thought it was handled in a comparatively tame manner in the anime. What would come after that I didn't know but should perhaps have guessed since compared to the manga there's almost no government intrigue.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
SnowfairyX wrote:

I've finished the entire anime and up to vol. 9 of manga. Be warned: neither is for a faint heart. However, if you are confident of your toughness, pick it up. The manga version is much more complete in storytelling, especially different philosophies life and survival -- one of the best I've ever seen, plus several touching moments. It's also a lot more graphical -- on par with Berserk; however, remember that Berserk was set in a medieval-like, sword-and-sorcery environment, but NaruTaru was set in our current time and space (well, with some strange creatures). From what I've learned, the French licensor dropped the manga at vol. 2, after they've read the notoriously bloody vol. 6.

The anime is much less graphical (after all it was aired on Kids Station, a Japanese broadcaster mostly dedicated to kid's anime -- no kidding), but watch it only if you are prepared.

I plan on getting the manga also, but only in it's completely unedited form. I'm a little disgusted that Darkhorse persuaded the author to edit his original work so that it wouldn't be as offensive to people in the U.S. Did I get any of my information wrong? If that is correct, I will not be supporting the domestic volumes. I think that some of the manga is released in the U.S., but not the rest of the series. Is it because the rest of the manga is too controversial?

Anyway, I am eagerly anticipating watching the anime series as eagerly as I am for Elfen Lied. Both series are ultra-violent and disturbing from what I've heard. I would really like to see if any of these titles will live up to my expectations and manage to either shock me or just be great entertainment.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
While it has been licensed, I don't think it has actually been released yet except as fansubs. In other words a bit too early to call it unpopular.

It is already out right now. My special order for this series is already waiting to be picked up at Sam Goody.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
So, tell me just how disturbing it is because now I'm intrigued. I've read the first 4 volumes of the manga and didn't find it too disturbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
i think you guys may be overstating it a tad. i mean it's scary, but it's not like there's any kind of graphic violence. everything in the show is implied, not to mention it ends very anticlimatic.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It's implied, but its pretty obvious what's going on. I think Narutaru is a great show, but it quite possibly the most disturbing anime I've ever seen. The fact that they showed it on a Kid's channel amazes me. I want to get the manga, but Dark Horse takes too long, charges too much, and, apparently, edits it.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
So, tell me just how disturbing it is because now I'm intrigued. I've read the first 4 volumes of the manga and didn't find it too disturbing.

You need to read volume 5. There were some chilling moments before but those were merely premonitions of what is coming. The manga will then draw its breath in volume 6 before boldly plunging ahead again.

And I don't think there is any need to get worked up about DH edits. So far the translation has merely toned down some conversational content. A major edit will appear in an upcoming volume to make a rape scene less graphical.

v1cious wrote:

i think you guys may be overstating it a tad. i mean it's scary, but it's not like there's any kind of graphic violence. everything in the show is implied, not to mention it ends very anticlimatic.

Just throwing in blood and gore doesn't make for a disturbing show. It's how well it can play with our heads that counts. Agree that the ending was a bit meh but it does make you wonder what personal hell Shiina will be going through. At least it left the door open for a sequel.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

I think the Narutaru manga was banned in Germany and heavily censored in France because of the disturbing content.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:

I think the Narutaru manga was banned in Germany and heavily censored in France because of the disturbing content.

The German version had similar edits to what Dark Horse will have. I'm less sure what happened in France, but the way I heard it the manga was dropped like a hot potato when they saw the horrors awaiting in the later volumes. I think the laws would have allowed the unedited version but the publisher obviously didn't relish the potential controversy.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Netflix has Vol. 1 available now and says Vol. 2 will be available June 14. I'll have to move this to the top of my queue. I read the first couple of issues of the manga in this magazine called Super Manga Blast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1