• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolemnBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Name: Nick

Sex: Male

Religion: Firm agnostic.

Drink/Smoke: I drink socially but don't smoke.

Likes: Discussing various things, controversial topics, adorable animals, anime, traveling, books. I can't really list everything I like so I'll stop there...

Dislikes: Arrogance, narrow-minded people, homophobia, racism; you know, the typical stuff.

Favorite anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena, Princess Mononoke, Kaiba, Mononoke, Spirited Away.

Favorite Books: Frankenstein, Lolita, some Stephen King stuff, Dracula etc.

Favorite game: Do visual novels count? In that case Umineko no naku koro ni. Otherwise, strategy games and RPG stuff!

Favorite TV shows/Movies: I really like Kubrick, Tarantino, Chan Wook Park and Tim Burton. Before he started making horrible stuff like Alice in Wonderland :c

Favorite Foods: Sushi!

Favorite Sites: Some anime social network thingies, imgur probably... and a bunch of random forums I guess!

Favorite Sport (to watch): NONE! O_O I will never understand the appeal of watching sports!

Favorite Sport (to play): I'm not really good at sports... but I like skiing, running and swimming. Maybe "physical activity" would be a better word for it :3

Favorite Music: Right now British indie but it changes a lot. Akiko Shikata is still a goddess though!

Job: I'm a student. Totally a job.

Hobbies: Friends, traveling, reading, anime, swimming, running, listening to music, learning, movies,

Fun facts about me: When I was little I thought yoghurt was made from orphan dreams.

Pictures:

http://s1240.beta.photobucket.com/user/solemnmind/media/snapshot2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

http://s1240.beta.photobucket.com/user/solemnmind/media/390372_317146768310222_59955776_n1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

(First one is pretty much me looking miserable since I needed a photo for an avatar thingy but refused to smile for some reason. The second one is me after being abused by friends whilst sleeping).
Wiizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
SolemnBoy has joined the frey!
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
S!xString wrote:
But seriously folks...
I'm probably the oldest person here.

I doubt it. Did you see Speed Racer and Star Blazers?

And I don't mean the DVDs or streaming, I mean when they originally aired on Broadcast television on UHF - Channel 38 & 56 (If they still exist) in the Central MA area.

S!xString wrote:
Are you one of those sexygenarians I heard about on the Beverly Hillbillies? (ya see, I just dated myself right there)
Well, you got me beat by a bit. I was born in 56 and thus I am 56.

OK you ARE older than me! My apologies. Wink

And you too Alan, All of a sudden I don't feel so old... Razz

Last edited by guildmaster on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Hi nbahn,

thanks for welcoming me.

We ended up in Spain because we wanted to experience something new after so many years in Germany. Since we knew Spain pretty well and have friends here in Catalunya, the choice was rather easy, as we were very much in love with the nature and landscape around here already.

I found this website searching for anime forums, this one had the biggest appeal for me, it seemed rather mature compared to others, and since I am rather grown up myself, at least in years, it seemed to be the best fit for me. Smile

"Bon dia" is Catalan for "good day". Since I am living in Catalunya, I thought I should say hi in my country's language as well.

Gotta love those Catalans. They have the craziest Spanish dialect. Wink Last time we were there was in the fall of 2007. Proper Castillian Spanish is Buenos dias for good morning / good day, but don't try to explain that to a Catalan!

BTW, Bon Dia is Good morning / good day is Aruba, which while its official language is Dutch, most of the native residents speak Papiamento, a mix of Creole, Spanish & Dutch. I get around.
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Name: Dan

Blood Type: I don't actually know.

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Irish

Religion: Deist

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: I drink socially, and don't smoke

Favorite anime: FMA 2003 and Brotherhood, Code Geass R1 and R2, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (yet to watch the second season or movie), Toradora, Steins;Gate, Eureka 7, and many more I can't remember off the top of my head

Favorite Manga: 20th Century Boys, Monster, Death Note

Favorite Books: A Song of Ice and Fire series, The Dark Tower series, Shannara Books, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Neuromancer (just starting more of Gibson's work) and Asimov's Foundation stories (also just started these).

Favorite games: Mass Effect series, Resident Evil 4, Skyrim, Star Wars Battlefront series

Favorite TV shows: The Wire (only on season 3 at the moment, but loving it), Regular Show, Victorious, Superjail, The Boondocks, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra,

Favorite movies: Hardboiled, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, City of God, Despicable Me, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Oldboy, Aliens, Mallrats, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Confessions, Riki-Oh

Favorite Music: Classic rock, heavy metal, a little bit of classical (Tchaikovsky and Holst), rap, k-pop, dubstep, and generic pop

Job: College student, and US army Future Soldier after I graduate

Hobbies: Enjoying all kinds of media (video games, books, anime, etc), walking at night, debating politics
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
@guildmaster
I have that effect on people, glad to be of service.

By the time any anime came out on US TV I was too old for what were "kid's shows". When my wife bought a set of Robotech dolls on sale we went crazy trying to figure where they were from. We never thought to check the Saturday morning cartoons.

I got into anime a bit over 15 years ago by accident (blind buy of a couple of VHS tapes) and life has not been quite the same since.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Welcom to the forums SolemnBoy.

And also welcome to the forums momthemeatloaf.

momthemeatloaf wrote:
Favorite games: Mass Effect series, Resident Evil 4, Skyrim, Star Wars Battlefront series
Battlefront 2 is like half the reason I keep my PS2 up, I always end up playing it again. Droids all the way.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
momthemeatloaf wrote:
Name: Dan

Blood Type: I don't actually know.

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Irish

Religion: Deist

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: I drink socially, and don't smoke

Favorite anime: FMA 2003 and Brotherhood, Code Geass R1 and R2, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (yet to watch the second season or movie), Toradora, Steins;Gate, Eureka 7, and many more I can't remember off the top of my head

Favorite Manga: 20th Century Boys, Monster, Death Note

Favorite Books: A Song of Ice and Fire series, The Dark Tower series, Shannara Books, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Neuromancer (just starting more of Gibson's work) and Asimov's Foundation stories (also just started these).

Favorite TV shows: The Wire (only on season 3 at the moment, but loving it), Regular Show, Victorious, Superjail, The Boondocks, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra,

Favorite movies: Hardboiled, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, City of God, Despicable Me, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Oldboy, Aliens, Mallrats, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Confessions, Riki-Oh

Favorite Music: Classic rock, heavy metal, a little bit of classical (Tchaikovsky and Holst), rap, k-pop, dubstep, and generic pop

Job: College student, and US army Future Soldier after I graduate

Hobbies: Enjoying all kinds of media (video games, books, anime, etc), walking at night, debating politics

Excluding the pop/k-pop thing, you have pretty good tastes (trolling like there's no tomorrow).

Welcome to the Fiorrums.
S!xString

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Speed Racer aired in the US when I was 11, so I should have been into it but I wasn't. I was more into space/sci-fi stuff then...Lost in Space, Star Trek, Time Tunnel, The Invaders.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
@ S!xString
If you were 11, I was 22 and floting around the Mediterranean. TV reception was poor. When we got back to Norfolk some of the other guys in the wardroom did watch the Saturday cartoons, but I missed them.
S!xString

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about that Speed Racer movie in 2008. I had to stop watching it after about 45 minutes. It's rare I give up like that, I usually plow through to the painful end, but that movie was awful.
S!xString

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Norfolk eh? I'm from Virginia originally, Newport News/ Hampton area.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Little Creek actually, the amphib base. You're from Tidewater Va, you have my sympathy. Your current location should be a marked improvement.

You will have to pardon my attitude about the Norfolk area. Most of the time I lived there I resided in a steel box that sort of floated. The natives were not friendly. Then they sent me to escape and evasion training at Camp A. P. Hill. Not my fondest memories.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
S!xString wrote:
I was just thinking about that Speed Racer movie in 2008. I had to stop watching it after about 45 minutes. It's rare I give up like that, I usually plow through to the painful end, but that movie was awful.

Yow, that movie WAS awful. AFN aired it last week and we tried to watch it in the plans shack, but in less than 20 min it was voted off the island, so to speak.

Lost in Space? "DANGER, Will Robinson!" That series set Sci Fi further back than Barbarella did.

NNews... Navy??

@Alan, subs? or CTG?? And yes AP hill really bites. I've been to Ft Lee at lot, but I try to stay away from AP Hill as much as possible. Sad
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
My wife brought home Skylar, our new Yorkie on Saturday. I saw him yesterday during a video call. He's real cute.

If I updated the info post, no one would notice. Now she needs to send me some pictures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 173 of 233