• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 19-25

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
But from a few weeks on it's been really different and I don't know which is the reason, because it's weird that Gintama and Haikyuu who still have really good scores have dropped so much, yet One Piece is on the top when its score is so low, and that also has weirdly changed the order in the second poll.

I can't blame anyone for being confused because I'm confused myself.

Like I've said before, it's possible for the sum of individual preferences to result in paradoxical aggregate preferences like (A>B, B>C, C>A). So if the order of the ranking is (A,B,C) that means C is ranked lower than A even though it is actually preferred to A. This is the nature of the Schulze method (and most other ranking methods), and there's always been a smattering of cases like this in each week of the previous seasons. But this season it's absolutely crazy.

For example, One Piece gets the weekly #3 spot even though it is only preferred to 12 of the other titles! It loses by a large margin against the 5 titles under it... but wins by an even bigger margin against Lupin... which loses against all the others above it except Active Raid. Trying to sort it out just makes my head spin.

And you can see the effect in the cumulative ranking. At the same time last season the cumulative graph had only small variations. But this season, far from solidifying, positions 3 to 17 are jittering like crazy.

I'm pretty sure the calculcations are not mistaken, but at the end of the season I think I'm going to evaluate other ranking methods to see if I can find something that results in less weirdness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The cumulative ranking continues to make sense, but I give up on trying to make sense of how the weekly rankings are computed. I am no mathematician, but to me the list that very kindly justsomeaccount provided suggests to me that the weekly rankings are a mess.

I apologize for dismissing statistics, but it would be simpler to do the weekly rankings based solely om the community scores for the episodes. Using that method, here is how the first 10 positions would look like:

1. ERASED 8: 4,8
2. Gintama 311: 4,7
3. Haikyuu 20: 4,6
4. AssClass 8: 4,5
T4. Durarara 31: 4,5
6. KonoSuba 7: 4,4
7. GATE 19: 4,3
T7. Grimgar 7: 4,3
T7. Lupin IV 21: 4,3
T7. Snow White 19: 4,3
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The cumulative ranking continues to make sense, but I give up on trying to make sense of how the weekly rankings are computed. I am no mathematician, but to me the list that very kindly justsomeaccount provided suggests to me that the weekly rankings are a mess.

I apologize for dismissing statistics, but it would be simpler to do the weekly rankings based solely om the community scores for the episodes. Using that method, here is how the first 10 positions would look like:

1. ERASED 8: 4,8
2. Gintama 311: 4,7
3. Haikyuu 20: 4,6
4. AssClass 8: 4,5
T4. Durarara 31: 4,5
6. KonoSuba 7: 4,4
7. GATE 19: 4,3
T7. Grimgar 7: 4,3
T7. Lupin IV 21: 4,3
T7. Snow White 19: 4,3

I think your list accidentally belies your point that straight averages would be best, as over half the list consists of ties. The current method deals with better with tie breakers than straight averages as you inadvertently pointed out. The decision to evaluate other methods strikes me as appropriate though
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not exactly into statistics either, but I assume the whole point of using the current Schulze method (or any alternative one) is to reflect, in a presumably fairly scientific and mathematical way, how much audience preferences towards a show have been changing over time, both when compared to itself and with respect to others.

I don't think that just going for a straight "MAL-style" ranking where the highest score equals best and the lowest score equals worst is necessarily the right answer. Alternative statistical methods should be explored and any math errors should be avoided, but it would be a shame if the change is motivated by "this isn't the result we want/expect, ergo it's clearly wrong" and little else.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Alternative statistical methods should be explored and any math errors should be avoided, but it would be a shame if the change is motivated by "this isn't the result we want/expect, ergo it's clearly wrong" and little else.

If you are referring to my post. My displeasure is not motivated by me wanting the rankings to align to my preferences. For instance, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shingu is my favorite show this season, but I never expected it to be the top choice by the community as a whole.

I just want the most effective and accurate method to create this rankings. F.uck my ego.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dimension W Went up? Really?
jiecut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't think just ranking them by average score is a good solution.

There's the problem that not everyone is watching all the shows, and different voters have different average scores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2