• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Just watched the first episode of Good Night World and I really liked it. I would vote it in for weekly reviews but shitty Netflix dropped all 12 episodes today. And because they dumped all the episodes, it’s probably gonna get lost in this overly packed season.

Which is really too bad because I think it has good, messy, meaty subject matter that really lends itself to reviews and conversation. Well, I’m guessing based on the first episode, which is all I’ve watched so far because, well, preview guide.

Aw hell, I’m gonna vote it in anyway—I’ll amend my ballot right now. Maybe I’ll get lucky :D :D :D

Four episodes in and honestly enjoying myself much more than expected, after being cautiously optimistic. Could super see it getting more focus in a less packed season as well, no less with how I feel the start might lead it to being read as some gross edgefest (its foul nature is easy to get into the headspace of), despite quickly pivoting to differently dreary aspects where we're not holed up with the Family. Feels like nobody is happy, and only so many want to be happy, lol.

I hope Dupree gets proven wrong in terms of the production concerns, this is a fun ride.

Last edited by InfiniteNothingness on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I gotta reiterate my hope that Under Ninja makes the cut. Going into the second episode, I was kinda feeling meh about it after a week crammed with other new shows, but damned if they didn't pull me right back into it in only a minute and a half.

It's really juggling a lot of balls in the air all at once (npi), plus the disjointed time hopping adds another layer of wtf. Seriously, wtf is my main reaction to almost everything going on so far. The random pervyness is played so nonchalantly I'm sitting there with my jaw on the floor or laughing my ass off while the story dashes off to another piece of whatever puzzle they're building.

This sort of gob-smacking weirdness coupled with unattractive character designs is not everyone's cuppa, I know, but it's why I think this series would really benefit from some in depth analysis in weekly reviews instead of occasional comments over in Series Discussions.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a surprising amount of casual male nudity as Ryusui and Soyuz dive in their skivvies to recover their petrified comrades.

Me, upon seeing that same scene:

Honestly, so happy to have the return of Dr. STONE, and with the dub on the same day! The first episode coming back was such a delight, filled with moments I had been waiting to see animated. The new OP and ED are great too. So many things being hyped up with the OP, and I loved having the ED focused on Kohaku and her relationship with some of her companions. It's been a bit in my headcanon that she would be every bit the big sister type to Mirai as she is to Suika, as well as having a good relationship with Nikki as a fellow female warrior, and I liked how the ED displayed that. But also, the SenHaku/KohaSen bait. I mean, to be fair, the biggest moment was spoiled beautifully in the OP, but the ED was definitely not subtle. And as a fan of that pairing, I can't say I'm disappointed to see it. <3
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:45 am Reply with quote
So two of the reviewers for Good Night World called Asuma "Asuna" which fixed him in my brain as a girl, because SAO (I'd just finished watching the 2nd Progressive movie right before this). Even though Richard said straight out that "Asuna" was the brother, the SAO connection held sway in my head, so I went in thinking the brother was playing May, or "Asuna" was their mother or something. Confused the hell out of me for awhile (though I likely would've been confused by one thing or another anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

Setting that aside, I'm really liking it. I thought it was funny that for James, the VR world worked while the real world was lacking, but for Nick it was the opposite. Just goes to show, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Key wrote:
I Shall Survive Using Potions - Apparently I'm in the small minority which actually liked this one? I found the the heroine's attitude and approach to things to be fun enough that I'll probably watch more.

You are not alone. This is one of my favorites. And while she is OP, she is not indestructible....
After seeing two episodes, I'm also sold on this one! Refreshing in approach to isekai in a lot of ways, though I didn't see Saving 80,000 Gold. Not often you see a female protag who is also manipulative but not to nefarious ends so far and very assertive. Apparently spices and culinary ingredients count as "potions" (?) so a little convenient for the restaurant she gets a job in but her informal counselling side gig was a fairly novel idea. Very interested in how this will work out, but we may see more of "unintended consequences" of being a stand-out ala Tanya the Evil...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Key wrote:
I Shall Survive Using Potions - Apparently I'm in the small minority which actually liked this one? I found the the heroine's attitude and approach to things to be fun enough that I'll probably watch more.

You are not alone. This is one of my favorites. And while she is OP, she is not indestructible....
After seeing two episodes, I'm also sold on this one! Refreshing in approach to isekai in a lot of ways, though I didn't see Saving 80,000 Gold. Not often you see a female protag who is also manipulative but not to nefarious ends so far and very assertive. Apparently spices and culinary ingredients count as "potions" (?) so a little convenient for the restaurant she gets a job in but her informal counselling side gig was a fairly novel idea. Very interested in how this will work out, but we may see more of "unintended consequences" of being a stand-out ala Tanya the Evil...

I also found the second episode to be likable, especially the scene where spoiler[she pretends to be a "goddess from another world."]

The problem is the competition it faces. Between Friday and Saturday alone, I already have seven guaranteed keepers (with an 8th due to start on the 21st), and Potions is only one of at least a half-dozen others that I'm still considering. The other five days combined have at least that many titles in each category, too. Even with letting go a couple of continuing series that I did follow last season, I'm still going to have to make hard cuts to keep the view list to a manageable level; I managed to keep up with 18 last season (which may be a record for me), and that was pushing it.

Anyway, spent my off week/weekend going through a bunch of 2nd/3rd eps. A few thoughts:

KimiZero (aka Our Dating Story): The second episode reinforces that this is going to be a remarkably sweet little romance story, with the expected complication arising at the end of the episode.
100 Girlfriends: While it's got the crazy-fun thing going and has a few decent moments, I prefer KimiZero at this point and am still at a bit of a loss as to why people are so unusually gaga over it. (I guess it's a slow starter?) Could have really done without Tongue Teacher, too, for a whole host of reasons. It seems certain to make the weekly review list, so I guess I'll follow those.
Shangri-La Frontier: This one may not be anything special conceptually, but damn, it knows how to sell what it is. Skip this one and you could be missing some of the season's best-designed action scenes.
Shy - Feels like a cross between a super-hero and a traditional magical girl series, and I'm sure that was the intent. Feeling good about this one after two eps.
Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy: As rote as some of the elements in this one seem, there are enough story angle potentials here to keep my attention.
I'm Giving The Disgraced Noble Lady. . .: Cute and fun so far, but we'll see if it has enough staying power.
16 Bit Sensation: Was going to drop this one, but the big twist at the end of episode 2 now has me intrigued about how this will play out. This is a well-researched series that's one of the most commentary-worthy shows of the season, so I dearly hope it makes the cut for episode reviews.
My Daughter Left The Nest. . .: Glad this one didn't piddle around for too long on the reunion. Not going to be one of the season's highlight series, but still very watchable.
Goblin Slayer II: Damn, that was a harsh twist towards the end of the episode. This season is already hitting its stride.
The Kingdoms of Ruin: Still feels like it's in set-up mode at the end of episode 2. Will give it one more episode to prove itself.
The Faraway Paladin: The season's proper plot line begins with ep 2, and it's a solid start. Menel's comments to Will seem just as significant, though, as they fit well into the theme established in episode 1 about playing the long game.
Tearmoon Empire: Episode 2 balanced the serious and comic sides better, and I like both how Mia applies the lessons of her previous life and the "changing one thing alone isn't going to be enough to avert the future" idea. Looking more like a keepr now.
PreCure Full Bloom: This one has impressed me enough through ep 2 that I actually voted for it for weekly coverage. (And I like the gimmick of spoiler[the adult turning into her younger form to become a PreCure].) Would love to see commentary done on it by someone familiar with PreCure 5.
Butareba - The first episode got ragged on heavily (unfairly so IMO), but episode 2 shows further signs of some bigger and more interesting world-building afoot here. May not make the weekly review cut, but I'm still going to be following it for at least a while longer.
A Returner's Magic Should Be Special: Ep 2 reinforces its status as a middle-of-the-pack title. Not bad, but not good enough for it to get a lot of attention.

EDIT: Almost forgot this one:
Ragna Crimson: Was going to drop this one, but Crimson steals the show with episode 3, and Ayumu Murase (who's voicing at least five other prominent roles this season in different series) is giving an epic performance in that role. Might follow this one just to watch Crimson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L0ken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
KimiZero (aka Our Dating Story): The second episode reinforces that this is going to be a remarkably sweet little romance story, with the expected complication arising at the end of the episode.

Heads up, it's somewhat a slow series. I personally couldn't follow it for too long, so I likely won't stick with anime either, not in this stacked season.
Key wrote:
100 Girlfriends: While it's got the crazy-fun thing going and has a few decent moments, I prefer KimiZero at this point and am still at a bit of a loss as to why people are so unusually gaga over it. (I guess it's a slow starter?) Could have really done without Tongue Teacher, too, for a whole host of reasons. It seems certain to make the weekly review list, so I guess I'll follow those.

Many people have accumulated experience of entire manga, naturally it didn't become hugely popular during time it's first chapters were coming out, it's only when there is enough crazy and fun things happening it made a name for itself. Studio doing a really passionate adaptation, so even demonic VP is 10 times more menace in anime. Still 100 girlfriends has enough material to potentially surprise those who don't get it even in 12 episodes, yet leaks say it 24 episodes split-cour, quite a lot of things get adapted. Particularly looking forward to the next episode.
Key wrote:
Ragna Crimson: Was going to drop this one, but Crimson steals the show with episode 3, and Ayumu Murase (who's voicing at least five other prominent roles this season in different series) is giving an epic performance in that role. Might follow this one just to watch Crimson.

I took a little break over source for it accumulate more material, but Ragna Crimson is overall much more interesting and entertaining that it may initially look. Silver Link is doing just okay job with adapting it, this is the case of wishing more high-profile studio and stuff to match source material.
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Is this just me but VA for Allen in I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness is completely incompatible with character behavior and looks? VA with deep mature voice as of man older than 40 for a character who looks like he is in his early 20s and is a love interest of MC in her teens. This took me out of that anime instantly before half of first episode was up.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
Is this just me but VA for Allen in I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness is completely incompatible with character behavior and looks? VA with deep mature voice as of man older than 40 for a character who looks like he is in his early 20s and is a love interest of MC in her teens. This took me out of that anime instantly before half of first episode was up.

I love the VA but unfortunately he does get cast in some unfitting roles. He can do a higher, softer voice, but I'm not sure what he does in this as I only saw the trailer. I do remember being surprised by his casting in it though. I feel like there'd probably be better options (sorry sugitan, I love you but...)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Apothecary Diaries doesn't seem like an immediate knockout hit, but I think I can see in the adaptation what people find charming about it. Does feel a bit weird that it debuted so late, but still with 3 full episodes at once; why not premiere a few weeks earlier, one episode at a time? Not that I minded the little binge.

Also, preview-guide summary graphs, as in my previous, Summer 2023 post:

Median Scores bar plots:

Original size: https://imgur.com/2oo7Svu.png

All Scores by Show, Points Only (strip plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/xyAI4QM.png

All Scores by Show, Boxes (strip+box plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/YjqWIyD.png

Reviewer Scores (swarm plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/Rpqt6BS.png
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Median Scores bar plots:

Original size: https://imgur.com/2oo7Svu.png

Wow... 'Yuzuki family's four sons' really took a hit. I've been following along for 3 episodes and it doesn't seem like anything more or less than your typical SoL show; though the 3rd episode in particular is among the most wholesome I've seen in a while. It's crazy how terrible translation work can drag down a work so much.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:09 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
Wow... 'Yuzuki family's four sons' really took a hit. I've been following along for 3 episodes and it doesn't seem like anything more or less than your typical SoL show; though the 3rd episode in particular is among the most wholesome I've seen in a while. It's crazy how terrible translation work can drag down a work so much.

Yeah---although, a caution about that one is that (due primarily to the subs I think) literally no reviewer gave it a "standard" score (and Rebecca/Richard actually gave it two scores, separating out the manga/underlying show from the show as translated; they gave the underlying source quite high scores). For simplicity I replace non-standard write-in scores with 0.0 (essentially), so that isn't doing it any favors. In previous graphs I sometimes used a unique 'off-scale' score (like -10.0) to clearly identify non-standard scores, but they're pretty rare, and folks suggested I just use 0.0 instead (since these are most often a negative thing; off-scale praise seems much less common)

EDIT: Oh, got very confused thinking it showed Yuzuki as having a non-zero score, but I was just misreading my own graph due to the bar being empty there Laughing
Snowcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting graph, thanks NeverConvex.
NeverConvex wrote:

Reviewer Scores (swarm plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/Rpqt6BS.png

This graph show that Reviewers are kind of limited by the granularity of notation and tend to expand the range of their notation to provide a ranking. The community score while overrating show by probably 0.5 star/10points (selection bias and maybe more for sequels) is probably more representative of the reality.

Quote:
All Scores by Show, Points Only (strip plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/xyAI4QM.png

Some reviewers are review bombing some shows Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21