• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's Viewership Falls Over 25% in 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
On one hand I feel that TV/Cable is a thing of past, on the other hand, I hate streaming services with a passion.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
It's been a week since Assassination Classroom season 2 was announced to be coming to the block, and we're less than 24 hours away from it premiering, and this takes precedence over an article for that? I mean, I know ratings are important and all, but I could really do without the extra stress.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
KDRudy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder if not being available on the basic Xfinity package anymore is part of this.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
For extra points, remember that the start of 2021 still had most places in some form of lockdown because the vaccine wasn't being mass distributed just yet.

Linear television, unless it's sports or other live events, has dropped dramatically over the past decade. People like watching stuff on their own time, without network Standards and Practices editing things. Linear television with all its myriad of logistic restrictions is at a disadvantage.
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote from a twitter account....;
And Yet they continue to hold Exclusivety On
[ Attack On Titan(for months)] and [Demon Slayers(for a year)]
Dub premiere episodes
People outside United States suffer
Without legal streaming options available...... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Ak Animax on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
I really dont want Toonami to die, as much as i hate to admit since last thing i need is another streaming service but they need to get with the times and convert.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well, ratings can't always be high...
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
On one hand I feel that TV/Cable is a thing of past, on the other hand, I hate streaming services with a passion.
I'm with you on this. Were now in a world where "streaming packages" are a thing. Streaming services are essentialy TV channels now, the key difference being the mechanism of delivery being the internet as opposed to copper cables
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
Interesting Adult Swim viewership is higher than Cartoon Network overall, even though they're both down so much. I suppose that's a reflection of how well cable kid's programming does now.

Also, ever since the April Fools prank that brought back Toonami (good lord I can't believe that was TEN YEARS ago), it seems Adult Swim at least has SOME small relevance with anime fans. I haven't watched it since Space Dandy (2014), but I've practically always known what was on the block thanks to Twitter. Surely there's something there they can leverage in streaming. It's still a brand people feel good about.

And yes, I'm assuming it'll have to go there eventually, with linear TV dropping off so hard for so long. I couldn't guess how that would work exactly, but I dunno, if Joe Bob Briggs can make a comeback...
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
Blame the cable companies. That's the biggest reason I believe. The whole packaged deal messed up a lot of people.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
Quote from a twitter account....; And Yet they continue to hold Exclusivety On [ Attack On Titan(for months)] and [Demon Slayers(for a year)] Dub premiere episodes People outside United States suffer Without legal streaming options available...... Rolling Eyes

Here in Latin America Toonami used to be broadcasted in the afternoons but in the mid-2000s it was moved to midnight timeslot due to complaints from parents regarding the violent content of some shows (though shows made for younger audiences were moved to that timeslot as well), it wasn't successful so CN LA ended Toonami and replaced with its own version of [adult swim] which wasn't very popular as well. Many years later some Warner-owned channels revived [as] for Latin America but by that point their most popular shows like Rick & Morty were available on Netflix so people didn't pay attention. On the other hand, CN Latin America revived Toonami in 2019 in collaboration with Crunchyroll and aired shows like Radiant, Dr. Stone, Mob Psycho with their respective dubs but many people already watched them on CR, and nowadays CN LA has practically eliminated anime from its programming. I would say that streaming is the future for the LA market but HBO Max has very few anime content, and most of them are movies, the only shows available are Yashahime, Blade Runner and Demashita Powerpuff Girls Z
#LMFGaming

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
Cartoon network should go full Disney plus and make a streaming service with shows from Toonami, adult swim, boomerang, Hannah Barbera all included. I'd fine paying for that but their have to include their 90,00s lineups
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
#LMFGaming wrote:
Cartoon network should go full Disney plus and make a streaming service with shows from Toonami, adult swim, boomerang, Hannah Barbera all included. I'd fine paying for that but their have to include their 90,00s lineups
It already sort of exists. Adult swim and cartoon network are subchannels of HBO Max. Crunchyroll used to be a subchannel as well, but has been renamed to something else now that crunchyroll is part of Sony.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Interesting Adult Swim viewership is higher than Cartoon Network overall, even though they're both down so much. I suppose that's a reflection of how well cable kid's programming does now.

Also, ever since the April Fools prank that brought back Toonami (good lord I can't believe that was TEN YEARS ago), it seems Adult Swim at least has SOME small relevance with anime fans. I haven't watched it since Space Dandy (2014), but I've practically always known what was on the block thanks to Twitter. Surely there's something there they can leverage in streaming. It's still a brand people feel good about.

And yes, I'm assuming it'll have to go there eventually, with linear TV dropping off so hard for so long. I couldn't guess how that would work exactly, but I dunno, if Joe Bob Briggs can make a comeback...
I can see that happening. Have a stream anytime format with a few live events that will be available a few days later just like The Last Drive In.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I figured it had to be pretty drastic for them. The recent introduction of 'Cartoonito' means that the network has its days divided roughly in thirds: kids, adults, and now very young kids. It's the type of thing you see when a network starts getting desperate for any viewers.

It's tough to see since Cartoon Network and adult swim were big for me. But now I barely watch. Cartoon Network doesn't air stuff I would watch, and Toonami is mostly shows I watched already. I would guess the only thing I will be watching is the dub for AOT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4