• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
INCEPIT

Time for the next season of the Soap Opera that is the Anime Preview Guide to begin! This is gonna be good....
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My Little Monster feels like a combo of KareKano and Kodocha, brought into the 21st Century. That's a very high compliment.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Will Zac be reviewing CanIBoneMyImouto-chan?

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Quote:
Hmm... am I missing any?

Hang on, I got a couple more:

I don't get why every show needs to be deep or oldschool to be enjoyable. What happened to just being entertained and... whatever?

It doesn't matter what ANN thinks, this stuff is meant for this certain hardcore demographic anyway.

NOW we can lock this s*** up! We can make this the shortest preview guide too. Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
But the drama is the best part...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

We talkin' visual novel kind of drama or soap opera kind of drama or VH1/Lifetime kind of drama?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I forget, continuing seasons aren't covered in these guides, right? So no Jormungand, Hayate, Gintama, Medaka, or Hidamari? Or at least that seemed to be the case last season with several continuing series, legally streaming!, left out.

Hypeathon wrote:
NOW we can lock this s*** up! We can make this the shortest preview guide too. Laughing

You forgot:

X, Y, and Z type anime are killing/harming/stagnating/ruining the industry.

Generic.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I forget, continuing seasons aren't covered in these guides, right? So no Jormungand, Hayate, Gintama, Medaka, or Hidamari? Or at least that seemed to be the case last season with several continuing series, legally streaming!, left out.
Reviewers will review continuations/sequels if they've watched the previous material.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

They are continued if one of the reviewers has watched all of the previous season. So Medaka at least might be covered if Bamboo takes part in the guide.

EDIT: Ah, too slow.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

We talkin' visual novel kind of drama or soap opera kind of drama or VH1/Lifetime kind of drama?

Soap Opera.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That's enough with the "everyone's going to say [x] lock thread now lol" thing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that I might give My Little Monster a try. The trailer amused me and sometimes anime can make wacky work very well. Being in a hurry doesn't actually sound like that bad a thing given how badly anime can drag and done without getting anywhere, unless it gets somewhere too fast, then has nowhere else to go. If all the characters really have is being quirky , then there can't be much more to this and it'll wear out fast. It has the same head writer, Noboru Takagi, as Durarara!!) is a good thing for handling idiosyncratic characters and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that Durarara!!'s not-entirely-satisfying last act was a byproduct of being adapted from an unfinished novel series.

This season has another show, Say, "I Love You.", that has a similar premise involving a girl without social relationships, but seemingly will play it straight and maybe a little uncomfortably. I'd wager a dollar that My Little Monster ends up being the less problematical of the two.

Chagen46 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
But
the drama is the best part...

Soap Opera.

Yeah, these threads turn into a real soapland. People get all over each other, but never really get through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to hear what the previewers think about From the New World. I just watched the first episode and it sure is unusual.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So far none of these shows have really caught my attention at all, hard to say if any of fall shows will. But I am looking forward to reading Zac's reviews though.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I can't wait to hear what the previewers think about From the New World. I just watched the first episode and it sure is unusual.

Ya It actually reminded me of a better executed version of higurashi's first episode. though we don't really know the characters yet, and if it goes any faster We'll have to watch every episode twice just to know what the heck just happened.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ya It actually reminded me of a better executed version of higurashi's first episode. though we don't really know the characters yet, and if it goes any faster We'll have to watch every episode twice just to know what the heck just happened.

Yeah, it's got so many elements to it. It's a Horror and a Mystery, and all the kids have telekinetic abilities mixed in with more traditional magic. Add in the frequent flashbacks and it is hard to know what the show is trying to accomplish right now, let alone where it will be going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 55